PDA

View Full Version : Rare/Microsoft update >>>licenses issue

king_zell
09-17-2002, 08:14 AM
Rarenet and Gamesindustry.biz has just spread some new information concerning the Rare and Microsoft situation.

The purchase of the company by Microsoft is always of current events and would even seem to strengthen, we learn on the other hand that the problem would come from Nintendo and more particularly from the obtaining of the various licenses.

Nintendo would indeed like to obtain all the licenses of the games Rare taken out on N64 (among others) whose jet Banjo-Kazooie, Forces Gemini, Of Conker Bad Fur Day and more particularly Perfect Dark (we can very well imagine a new Perfect Dark developed by Retro Studio). :cool guy:

It is necessary to know that Microsoft is going to acquire Rare mainly for its licenses. We do not know that will happen if Nintendo obtains them in the final, we thus understand better why no announcement was again made.

We also learn that the employees of Rare are more than disrupted by this situation, it is necessary to know that Rare was one of the first companies to receive the kits of development GameCube, and that they thus develop on the console of Nintendo since three, if they pass on Xbox, its three working years would be lost, a part of them thus decided to leave Rare to continue to develop on GameCube. It would be thus possible that Microsoft announces nothing in X02 of Seville because of this problem. By waiting take this as a rumour ? Still...

(Source: Rarenet / Gamesindustry) newtechnix.

what do u think :rolleyes:

Nindalf
09-17-2002, 08:25 AM
Hehheheh...that shows "traitor" rare that they shouldnt leave Nintendo!

BTW: i think this should be at Official Rare Discussion Thread!

EDIT: And welcome to the forums!

crazytaxinext
09-17-2002, 08:51 AM
I'd expect Rare to end up with Perfect Dark at the end of it all but I couldn't see Nintendo letting Banjo etc... go.

Black Ace
09-17-2002, 09:04 AM
Nintendo is doing the same thing to Rare as Crystal Dynamics did to Silicon Knights, robbing them.

crazytaxinext
09-17-2002, 09:30 AM
I can't understand Nintendo wanting Perfect Dark as its not really that useful to them anymore. Its not that useful to Xbox either. With Halo 2 and Doom 3 as well as many other FPS's I could see PD kinda getting brushed aside. But I can see them wanting to keep Conker, mainly because he started out as a DK based character and Banjo is very Nintendo in style. As for JFG, they should let Rare have that too.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-17-2002, 12:06 PM
Actually, apparently.. now this is all speculation.. but MS is buying Rareware- which isn't owned by Nintendo. Nintendo, however does own Rare Ltd. and Rare LLC - which were the company names the licenses were trademarked under..

Obviously I doubt MS would want to buy just Rare and not get their hands on some of the licenses- hmm.. I wonder how it will all turn out.. I'll post more about this on the OFFICIAL Rare thread...

Black Ace
09-17-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
Actually, apparently.. now this is all speculation.. but MS is buying Rareware- which isn't owned by Nintendo. Nintendo, however does own Rare Ltd. and Rare LLC - which were the company names the licenses were trademarked under..

Obviously I doubt MS would want to buy Rare and would want some of the licenses- hmm.. I wonder how it will all turn out.. I'll post more about this on the OFFICIAL Rare thread...

The lisence dont means much to Microsoft. They just want the talents.

king_zell
09-17-2002, 03:52 PM
The lisence dont means much to Microsoft. They just want the talents.

i dont think so ...

microsoft wants the big names to boost their sales and especially Perfect Dark ... They want big names exclusive games like Nintendo and Sony ...

DBJAY
09-17-2002, 04:06 PM
This will damage Rare as a company. If they can't take their licenses to MS, then the value of the company is significantly less. If MS decides Rare is not worth the money without those franchises and walks out, Rare is at the mercy of Nintendo and their future is entirely up to them. Nintendo has taken Star Fox away from Rare already (ie. the namco game), so what will they do next?

Kid0_oIcarus
09-17-2002, 04:14 PM
Well, while many talented people have already left Rare (I don't know if any more will leave because of this), I'm sure Rare would think of something. If anything, they'd probably come up with something great, lined with lots of British humor and innuendos, like we've come to expect from the company.

Ahh.. the good ole days...

One can only hope though, that Microsoft doesn't just take Rare and split them up or crew things up even further once they get them.

As far as them just cutting their losses, I'm not sure if they could do that. 'Course I'm not really sure they couldn't either....

Black Ace
09-17-2002, 10:19 PM
microsoft wants the big names to boost their sales and especially Perfect Dark ... They want big names exclusive games like Nintendo and Sony ...

Rare can easily established other franchises. Born on the N64 from Rare was; Blast Corps, Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Perfect Dark and Dinosuar Planet.

baratus
09-17-2002, 11:58 PM
It would be thus possible that Microsoft announces nothing in X02 of Seville because of this problem.

Ha! Serves them right! Trying to steal what Nintendo has achieved all these years along with Rare, who the hell do they think they are anyway. I hope Nintendo:cool guy: keeps all the licences, that'll show them!:haha:

baratus
09-18-2002, 12:31 AM
Wait a sec... king_zell I've been looking for this info on rarenet and gamesindustry but it's not anywhere! Are you making this up?

king_zell
09-18-2002, 04:52 AM
i found it at newtechnix and the source was rarenet

try and search in the forums there :)

baratus
09-18-2002, 06:08 AM
I checked the site but it's in french so I got lost:confused: , but I think that rumor isn't true 'cause you said the source came from rarenet and gamesindustry but there's nothing related to that rumor on those sites... DAMN!:too mad:

baratus
09-18-2002, 06:28 AM
Looks like I didn't checked gameindustry properly:D
Here's the full article:

We're quite certain that Microsoft will be the proud owners of Rare within the next month, as reported last week - but it looks like the Redmond-based giant has one last hurdle to jump before it's handed the keys and allowed to take its shiny new development studio for a spin. Sources within both Rare and Microsoft have fuelled Internet rumours which suggest that the deal won't be finally inked until a dispute between the two companies and erstwhile Rare co-owner Nintendo over licenses is settled.

Microsoft, understandably, would want the huge sums of money being spent on Rare to net them some enviable licenses - chiefly Perfect Dark, but with Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Conker's Bad Fur Day and various other titles undoubtedly also on the menu. Other games from the Rare stable - such as Donkey Kong and Starfox Adventures - won't be included in the deal, since their intellectual property rights belong to Nintendo. However, it now seems that Nintendo is also making claim to several of Rare's other franchises, possibly including the key Perfect Dark license.

It seems unlikely that this will change the overall outcome of the negotiations - namely, Rare becoming part of Microsoft Game Studios. However, Nintendo's reluctance to part with its hold on the franchises - unless, presumably, the price is right - may well scupper any plans Microsoft had to announce the purchase of the studio at the X02 showcase event, which takes place in Seville towards the end of this month.

Meanwhile, further confirmation of the deal has come from the mouths of Rare employees, who emailed fan site RareNet from their home email accounts (thus bypassing the legendarily paranoid security at the company) to let them know some of their thoughts about the buy-out. The full article can be found here, with many of the key comments focusing on the amount of work Rare will have to do in order to get up to speed with Xbox development after three years of working on the GameCube hardware.

crazytaxinext
09-18-2002, 08:33 AM
The sad thing is I can't see Banjo and Conker leaving Nintendo. Whilst another Banjo game will be made regardless I can't see Nintendo itself making another Conker given their reluctance to the first one.

baratus
09-18-2002, 12:54 PM
h don't say that crazytaxinext, Nintendo is the best developer of platform games so it's best
if Banjo stays with them, maybe they'll give it to the rest of Rare workers than still works for them. As for
Conker I can't really say anything because I never liked it.