PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 3 name, backwards compatibility confirmed - no 2005 launch date

Seska
05-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Taking the stage to kick off the conference, SCEA boss Kaz Hirai talked about the massive success of the PlayStation 2 platform, before introducing the "father of PlayStation", Ken Kutaragi, to the stage.

Kutaragi proceeded to run through a short history of the PlayStation family, and confirmed that the new system will indeed be called "PlayStation 3" - and that it will be backwards compatible with both PS1 and PS2 games.

He also confirmed that the system will use the next-generation Blu-Ray disc format - one of the few pieces of information about the console which had previously been officially announced - and that the current launch window for the console is 2006.

Taken from Gamesindustry.biz

So, no using of new hybrid Toshiba/Sony media, no 2005 release (as some reports were speculating recently) but a yes for backward compatibility for PS1 and PS2.

Eh. I want specs. Damn long winded conferences. :p

littlewig
05-16-2005, 07:07 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html

Gamespot has the official specs of the PS3.

Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 3, will use Blu-Ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also supporrd CR-ROM, CDR+W, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R. It also confirmed the machine would be backwards compatible all the way to the original PlayStation.

Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2 Ghz and feature 2.18 teraflops of performance. It will sport 256mb XDR main RAM at 3.2 Ghz, have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700mhz, a detachable 2.5 inch HDD slot, six usb 2.0 ports, Memory Stick Duo, a SD slot, a compact flash memory slot, Compact flash slot, 2 hdmi outputs, 1 av multi out, 1 SPDIF optical output, and 1-gigabit Ethernet built in port

The PlayStation 3 will also sport some hefty multimedia features, such as video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, digital audio and video. Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi introduced it as a "Super computer for computer entertainment."

That's a whole lot of VRAM!

Zod
05-16-2005, 07:22 PM
They SUCK for holding off until 2006, and have just successfully handed the console market to Microsoft. *applauds the retards for making another bad business decision in a long line of bad decisions*

For the HDD, I simply won't count on it. I was right about SCEA holding back the missing HDD features so they can try to impress us with them for the PS3.

manji72
05-16-2005, 07:27 PM
So leaked specs are some what true. Well it seems PS3 will have the better CPU but XBOX360 will have the better GPU. 2.18 teraflops lol that was a typo its 218 gigaflops and once again they are touting Toy Story like graphics lol. All in all its pretty much on par with XBOX360. And gee they are showing UE3 demos too like I said all the systems will pretty much show the same level of graphics.

Seska
05-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. It also has over 300 million transistors, larger than any processor available commercially today. It was manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 ultras, which would cost rough $1000 if bought today.

Fucking hell. PS3 effectively is a SLI. :o I wouldn't write off the PS3's GPU jsut yet. as for the 2.18 teraflops, its not a typo:

The PS3 is set to use a single Cell CPU at its core, which will run at 3.2Ghz. The system will boast around 2.18 Teraflops of performance - almost twice the raw performance of Microsoft's Xbox 360, if the Teraflop statistics from both companies are to be believed.

Reality
05-16-2005, 07:40 PM
My gosh. Do our toasters hook up to it by any chance? That sure is a impressive amount of support for devices though and the power seems huge. O.o I never knew there was such a thing as "Teraflops".

Seska
05-16-2005, 07:46 PM
Noo dont hook up your toasters to it, or it will have enough flops to enslave humanity. :p

Reality
05-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Or at lest cook our toast in High Definition. With um...lots of Teraflops a second.

Joe Redifer
05-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Only half the RAM of the Xbox360.

Is there any word on if the system will load really, really, really, really, really sloooow like the PS1 and PS2 did? It's the Sony trademark. They love slow.

spider-prime
05-16-2005, 07:52 PM
the only reason I would get one is so I could replace all my playstation systems but only after I find out that theres no errors on the system and when the price drops

Abaddon
05-16-2005, 07:53 PM
So what do the Specs mean for us lowly folk? Is the X360 comparable to the Ps3 like ps2 was compared to xbox? or whats the deal? If the ps3 is more powerful, how much more powerful is it?

manji72
05-16-2005, 07:56 PM
XBOX360 GPU has better numbers than 2x the important numbers on an 6800ultra (32alus vs. 48alus yeah give me 48). But I do prefer nVidia over ATi for my PC its kind of hard to determine the diff. on consoles so it could perform better you could say the same for the CPUs too cause PS2 is technicaly possible of doing what XBOX can do same with Gamecube. So all these numbers really mean squat on consoles.

Thunder Force 6
05-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Har! Nice, but I'll be suprised if it doesn't come packaged with some debilitating defect that will ruin the experience for early adopters. (Also a Sony trademark.)

FinalSolace2
05-16-2005, 08:18 PM
man i hope nintendo's offereing with the 4 core rivals ps3 specs- but it doesn't sound like it can be inconcievable at all to achieve a spec at aroung the range of ps3

Seska
05-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Full specs:

PLAYSTATION 3 Specifications
Product name PLAYSTATION 3
Logo PLAYSTATION 3
CPU Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for
redundancy
total floating point
performance: 218 GFLOPS
GPU RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point
performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2
channels
Multi-way programmable parallel
floating point shader
pipelines
Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-
base processing)
Memory 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
System Bandwidth Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s
(read)
SB 2.5GB/s (write) +
2.5GB/s (read)
System Floating Point Performance 2 TFLOPS
Storage HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
I/O USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1
Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
Controller Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP )
Network (over IP)
AV Output Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p,
1080i, 1080p
HDMI HDMI out x 2
Analog AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio DIGITAL OUT
(OPTICAL) x 1
Disc media CD PlayStation CD-ROM
*read only PlayStation 2 CD-ROM
CD-DA CD-DA (ROM), CD-R,
CD-RW
SACD SACD Hybrid (CD
layer), SACD HD
DualDisc DualDisc (audio
side), DualDisc
(DVD side)
DVD PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM
DVD-Video DVD-ROM, DVD-R,
DVD-RW, DVD+R,
DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc PLAYSTATION 3 BD-ROM
BD-Video BD-ROM, BD-R,
BD-RE

Abaddon
05-16-2005, 08:25 PM
http://img104.echo.cx/img104/7731/050517i4vj.jpg

Tell me this is a fake... PLEASE... [got it from a friend of mine, I looks so horrible it has to be fake...]

CHRoNo
05-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Dang the PS3 looks the goods on paper!!!

Thunder Force 6
05-16-2005, 08:31 PM
Full specs:

PLAYSTATION 3 Specifications
Product name PLAYSTATION 3
Logo PLAYSTATION 3
CPU Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for
redundancy
total floating point
performance: 218 GFLOPS
GPU RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point
performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2
channels
Multi-way programmable parallel
floating point shader
pipelines
Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-
base processing)
Memory 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
System Bandwidth Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s
(read)
SB 2.5GB/s (write) +
2.5GB/s (read)
System Floating Point Performance 2 TFLOPS
Storage HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
I/O USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1
Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
Controller Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP )
Network (over IP)
AV Output Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p,
1080i, 1080p
HDMI HDMI out x 2
Analog AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio DIGITAL OUT
(OPTICAL) x 1
Disc media CD PlayStation CD-ROM
*read only PlayStation 2 CD-ROM
CD-DA CD-DA (ROM), CD-R,
CD-RW
SACD SACD Hybrid (CD
layer), SACD HD
DualDisc DualDisc (audio
side), DualDisc
(DVD side)
DVD PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM
DVD-Video DVD-ROM, DVD-R,
DVD-RW, DVD+R,
DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc PLAYSTATION 3 BD-ROM
BD-Video BD-ROM, BD-R,
BD-RE

All for the low, low price of $500!

spider-prime
05-16-2005, 08:31 PM
http://img104.echo.cx/img104/7731/050517i4vj.jpg

Tell me this is a fake... PLEASE... [got it from a friend of mine, I looks so horrible it has to be fake...]

I dunno, it looks crappy enough to be real!

Seska
05-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Introducing the Sony Batarang! :D

naruto_sensei
05-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Only half the RAM of the Xbox360.

Is there any word on if the system will load really, really, really, really, really sloooow like the PS1 and PS2 did? It's the Sony trademark. They love slow.
don't they both have 512 vram?

Seska
05-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Not really, PS2 works RAM like PCs - Ram for the system, and VRAM, each 256. Xbox has 512 which it can use as it likes. More or less, thats the basic lowdown. So in Total RAM, I guess you could say they are the same.

naruto_sensei
05-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer," which is based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512MB of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has more than 300 million transistors, larger than any processor commercially available today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process, with eight layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1,000 total if purchased today.
it says the graphix card has 512 mbs just like xbx 360
EDIT: don't you mean ps3 and xbox 360?

CHRoNo
05-16-2005, 09:12 PM
If Sony is Backwards compatible all the way back to PS1 and XBOX 360 isnt....BAPOW
If Sony Launch the PS3 with Tekken 6, Gran Turismo 5, Metal Gear Solid 4(which looks like IS being made by Hideo?), Devil May Cry 4, and a new Grand Theft Auto game, and Microsoft think they will counter the launch of the PS3 with only HALO 3 they are GONE!!!

my 54cents

naruto_sensei
05-16-2005, 09:17 PM
if they wanted to launch with those games they'd have to wait at least 4 more years for polyphony to finish up with GT5.

Dr. Bombay
05-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Introducing the Sony Batarang! :D

DS must be loving the new controllers.

Anyway, it's exciting stuff. Certainly a very very powerful core and a lot of next gen hardware. It'll be interesting to see how the Cell Processor can stack up against 3 3.2ghz G5 cores working at once. Around the time of hte Sony launch, the x360 should be getting games on there where all three processors will be reasonibly taxed.

Very interesting.

Oh and the first 3rd party developer to come out and make 3rd party Dual shock controllers will make an ASSLOAD of money.

Dr. Bombay
05-16-2005, 09:35 PM
If Sony is Backwards compatible all the way back to PS1 and XBOX 360 isnt....BAPOW
If Sony Launch the PS3 with Tekken 6, Gran Turismo 5, Metal Gear Solid 4(which looks like IS being made by Hideo?), Devil May Cry 4, and a new Grand Theft Auto game, and Microsoft think they will counter the launch of the PS3 with only HALO 3 they are GONE!!!

my 54cents

Only you forget that GTA games aren't exclusive. In 3-6 months, it will be on x360, so it's not as much of a linch pin as you think. Halo 3 is a pretty strong title. It'll stem the tide a little bit.

And why are they ALREADY planning GT5? I mean my god, the distance between 3 and 4 was how long? And now they wanna make it an annual thing?

Sony is depending a lot on their 3rd party developers for killer apps by spring next year. That's always a dangerous thing to do. I mean really, they need to get their second party developers in gear if they really wanna turn heads. They need something like a Wanda and the Collosus to get me. I just see a butt load of sequels here. Some of which I hated the first time around.

Seska
05-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Regarding Vram, it ahs been officially quoted in the specs as 256 VRAM for the GPU.

As for the 3 cores of the x360, you ahve to remeber that 3 cores does not mean 3x the processing power. In fact, in raw processing power, the PS3 seems to outperform the x360 two times over.

What multiple core CPUs are good for is freeing up certain CPU heavy tasks like AI and pathing routines by delegating these tasks to different cores.

To put it simply, the x360 is like 3 guys with an IQ of 120 and the PS3 is like 1 guy with an IQ of 160.

What remains to be seen is how the x360 can sucessfully implement multiple core technology in games and how it can be an advantage over the sheer muscle power the PS3 apparently boasts. Im sure in no time at all 50 differnt analysts will compare the possibilities of both machines, so well have to wait and see.

naruto_sensei
05-16-2005, 09:46 PM
I don't know, but my quote came from gamespot.

Anthrax
05-16-2005, 09:50 PM
PS3 GPU Info:
Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2GHz, giving the whole system 2 teraflops of overall performance. It will sport 256MB XDR main RAM at 3.2GHz, and it will have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700MHz.

Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer," which is based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512MB of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has more than 300 million transistors, larger than any processor commercially available today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process, with eight layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1,000 total if purchased today.

source: GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html)

Alucard
05-17-2005, 01:14 AM
Useless bastards. All the really important information I want about the graphics card is not there. I want to see numbers to back up this 2 6800 ultra thing. And whos idea was the 256mb memory? 512 should be the LEAST they go for. Sonys always skimping on ram.

DBJAY
05-17-2005, 01:15 AM
PS3 GPU Info:
Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2GHz, giving the whole system 2 teraflops of overall performance. It will sport 256MB XDR main RAM at 3.2GHz, and it will have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700MHz.

source: GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html)

That's interesting. The PS3's Nvidia parts cost 1,000 on their own, and the PS3 is going to sell for 300?! Ouch. Talk about talking a loss on hardware. Also noticed there was no mention if the hard drive was included or not. By supporting 1080p, that's essentially an HD mode that very few monitors can do now, but it's good they are forward thinking, even if 99% of their audience will not own one. Blue Ray decision I imagine will change if the talks are successful with Toshiba.

I really noticed they didn't seem to bring anything to new to the table regarding gameplay, just again, more vague promises. Did they even attempt anything like an online service this time?

With the software ( and they used a FF real time demo for the PS2 unveiling! deja vu!) , it seems pretty dry. Tekken 6? Yawn. They actually removed features from 4 to 5, so Namco better step it up. GT5 would be a miralce, unless its GT4 with online play..it took them 3 years between releases last time. MGS4 is essentially irrelevant, it's a franchise fading in popularity, Ubi has raised the bar with Splinter Cell (on all platforms!).

And Killzone 2? Why are people excited over that? Because maybe this time we will be able to jump? Please. The first game, and as a game, the visuals were good, but the game is incredibly average. Speaking of average, what's the point of trotting out EA? They are behind all three companies in a big way, and rarely optimize any game. Fight Night 3 will look great on Rev., 360, and PS3. And the kicker, Unreal 3 engine is up and running on both Xbox360 and PS3, which is so what?

Not too sound bitter. But this reveal is a near repeat of what the PS2 was (demos from same companies too! Namco, Capcom, Square, EA), and the PS2 took at least 1 year to even scratch it's potential. For all the supposed abilities of the PS3, developers are doing nothing with it. What pratical us is it to decode multiple HD TV streams (aks your cable company for receiver to do that- hah-) to a gamer?

I'll wait until E3 06 to see if Sony can deliver software that actually is more than just slightly prettier updates. I didn't expect amazing originality from MS, but from the market leader I expect trailblazing software.

TheHardware
05-17-2005, 08:54 AM
Useless bastards. All the really important information I want about the graphics card is not there. I want to see numbers to back up this 2 6800 ultra thing. And whos idea was the 256mb memory? 512 should be the LEAST they go for. Sonys always skimping on ram.

are you impressed so far...and what would make u happy if not?

also some brief input as to this compared to todays or tommorows cards

Seska
05-17-2005, 09:45 AM
That's interesting. The PS3's Nvidia parts cost 1,000 on their own, and the PS3 is going to sell for 300?! Ouch. Talk about talking a loss on hardware.

Thats a bit of an exaggeration. Ultras retail for about 400 bucks, and I am sure Sony isn't paying shop prices for these things.

By supporting 1080p, that's essentially an HD mode that very few monitors can do now, but it's good they are forward thinking, even if 99% of their audience will not own one.

Same goes for Xbox rreally, as it supports 1080p as well.

Did they even attempt anything like an online service this time?

"Kutaragi-san introduced plans for an extensive wireless networking system that would allow you to communicate, play online, upload media and info, and download multiple feeds of HD content, simultaneously with other activities. Gamers will also be able to share game content over secure P2P networking."

So, yes then.

Regarding gameplay, at least Sony is attempting something new with voice recognition and eyetoy (Eyetoy Glasses + water demo, that other SCEE game where the dude playing the game was in it). It may be a lame idea, but it is an attempt, something which cannot be said for the x360.

The titles may not be to your liking, but games like GT, MGS4, Tekken and DMC sell systems. Technically speaking games like MotorStorm and Killzone 2 are VERY impressive. It remains to be seen if the games play as well, but as a whole I am DEFINITELY getting more of a "next gen" vibe from the PS3, than the x360. The x360 feels more like an Xbox 1.5 to me.

DBJAY
05-17-2005, 10:11 AM
To me, this is nearly identical to the PS2 launch. High on promises, and then zero execution. For the PS2, we were supposed to do the exact same things with movies/music, the only new wrinkle with the PS3 is now they are targeting some of the HD crowd. It's amazing people would actually believe this is going to happen. I noticed they actually have no timetable for this online content, like the PS2. Are people taking the red pill and forgetting the last 5 years?

They even practically re-phrased "the emotion engine"!

It doesn't matter if Killzone 2 looks great, when the original game was below average. I can't get excited over prettier, bad playing games.

I would like to see more Eyetoy uses, it hasn't done much with the PS2 yet.

That being said, more powerful hardware might lead to some great games, but rattling off a list of sequels to marginal game series, and then banking of delivering MGS4 and GT5 for launch (both 2 & 4 sequels - of which were delayed on the PS2 by years) is really unexciting.

Also, the media is playing right into Sony's hands again. What did they do? Shos a string of cg demos, an unreal demo, and then a list of things they would like to do for the PS3. Referring to Xbox360 as 1.5 is parroting what somebody else said in the media, so already, it's obvious that Sony's hype machine has worked.

I'll be one of the first to buy the PS3 when it comes out if they can actually deliver, but I've learned that their E3 wish lists don't always come true.

Alucard
05-17-2005, 10:14 AM
are you impressed so far...and what would make u happy if not?

also some brief input as to this compared to todays or tommorows cards

I'm impressed with some of the demos. Problem is thats all they are at the moment, tech demos, run on hardware that isnt the PS3. So I'd like to see what the finished product ends up looking like.

tpfkanep
05-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Let's not forget:
Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.

Zod
05-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Found the real reason for why Sony designed the new controller the way they did:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/KeyserSoze10033/PSP3Batarang.jpg

Zod
05-17-2005, 10:57 AM
To me, this is nearly identical to the PS2 launch. High on promises, and then zero execution. For the PS2, we were supposed to do the exact same things with movies/music, the only new wrinkle with the PS3 is now they are targeting some of the HD crowd. It's amazing people would actually believe this is going to happen. I noticed they actually have no timetable for this online content, like the PS2. Are people taking the red pill and forgetting the last 5 years?

They even practically re-phrased "the emotion engine"!

It doesn't matter if Killzone 2 looks great, when the original game was below average. I can't get excited over prettier, bad playing games.

I would like to see more Eyetoy uses, it hasn't done much with the PS2 yet.

That being said, more powerful hardware might lead to some great games, but rattling off a list of sequels to marginal game series, and then banking of delivering MGS4 and GT5 for launch (both 2 & 4 sequels - of which were delayed on the PS2 by years) is really unexciting.

Also, the media is playing right into Sony's hands again. What did they do? Shos a string of cg demos, an unreal demo, and then a list of things they would like to do for the PS3. Referring to Xbox360 as 1.5 is parroting what somebody else said in the media, so already, it's obvious that Sony's hype machine has worked.

I'll be one of the first to buy the PS3 when it comes out if they can actually deliver, but I've learned that their E3 wish lists don't always come true.

In all fairness, MS ran it's demos on a Mac instead of the 360 itself, gave no hardware stats, no dates, and no price. Their debut was entirely about hype, so both are guilty of using the hype machine. At least Sony didn't go on MTV and bring out a second-rate band to distract people from the details of their console.

DBJAY
05-17-2005, 11:29 AM
that's true. The MTV thing was a disaster from a gamer's perspective.

I've been looking at screens and vidoes, and I think the most realistic one - in terms of what 1st gen sofware will look like is the game by Insomniac. They did wonders with the Ratchet & Clank series on the PS2, and their FPS is likely to be one of the better games near launch. The other game that is eye catching is the motorcross game, although the screens are clearly mock-ups - I'll be looking to see if the PS3 can actually pull that off.

The saving grace for the North American launch will be GTA: Next, but I wonder if Take Two will roll the dice and make it exclusive. It could be a real disaster if Sony sells out their intial shipment of PS3's, and there is a shortage, and no one can buy the game - at least not in the amounts Take Two will need to cover the 20 mill. cost of the game (I'm assuming it will be a high end title.) Between Madden, GT5 (if not delayed), MGS4 (ditto), and high cost of PS3 w/accessorties (look out forced bundles), some publisher's are going to have a bleak Christmas if they go exclusive with the PS3 in 06.

BGM
05-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Found the real reason for why Sony designed the new controller the way they did:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/KeyserSoze10033/PSP3Batarang.jpg
That's funny :lol: !

Seska
05-17-2005, 12:45 PM
To me, this is nearly identical to the PS2 launch. High on promises, and then zero execution.

I'd actually WAIT and see how the promised games play, before making that statement. Or have you seen something we havent? Until then, we will give Sony, as we give the x360 the benefit of the doubt.

My point stands, regardless of wether the titles announced are unappealing to YOU, they appeal to the mainstream, and in the end that is what sells consoles.

As for the Xbox 1.5 comment, it is simply true. With the exception of Gears of War, everything showcased on the x360 looks like something my PC could pull off without breaking a sweat. That is NOT the "next gen" oomph I was expecting from the x360. What I see on the PS3, though, is not something I would expect to see on my PC. Not by FAR.

We will have to wait and see if FPS games really look as good as Killzone, and wether driving games look as good as MotorStorm. And if Take Two planned on releasing GTA Next on the x360, I think Bill gates would have boasted about it already, seeing how he likes to brag about a game like Halo 3 as a tool to crush the PS3's release. I guess now its going to be Halo 3 facing up agaisnt GTA's release instead.

manji72
05-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Those demos are probably running on a multi core Cell with SLi 6800Ultra. I doubt those are what they look like in gameplay, they are just renderings or FMVs so wait and see if they can deliver cause they haven't before. But it seems the tables are turning but japan still seems to be holding back on MS.

Dr. Bombay
05-17-2005, 02:35 PM
They're renders, but honestly, this is what we expect. If you can't get it looking this good with the hardware you're pushing, get out of the game. The Cell Processor is VERY powerful and pumping out graphics like these should be EASY.

And I'm sure once a Final Fantasy is on PS3, the japanese will slober all over it. But at the same time, now more than ever, there's a chance that a final fantasy or one of it's incarnation may hit the big white box. But FF11 isn't gonna be the system seller M$ and Square want it to be. However what I do see happening is Square's new futuristic RPG line that's being made along side Final Fantasy to be multiplatform.

DBJAY
05-17-2005, 05:05 PM
This is why I am dubious:

May 17, 2005 - In a recent post on the Voodoo Extreme message boards, Epic Games' Vice-President and long-time gamer Mark Reign gave his two cents on the PS3 movies presented at Sony's press conference yesterday in Culver City, California. Here's what he had to say:

In addition to the Sony demos being shown by Phil Harrison, the Epic and EA presentations were the only third party portions actually running on the PS3 in real-time. But most of those movies, which I probably watched three or four during rehearsals for the event, look very achievable and some were probably rendered on the actual box but in non-real-time. When a system is year away, heck even with a system is six months away, it is reasonable to expect the power of the dev kits would still only be a fraction of the power of the final system."

So Killzone = fake, Getaway = fake, motorcross = fake, with only EA and Epic bringing a real demo to the presentation. Both were excellent, but Unreal 3 on the PS3 doesn't look a generation beyond the Xbox360. Fight Night 3 is multi-platform, and we all know how EA loves to tweak game individually for each console. That being said, the PS3 has serious potential but I don't get excited over cg renders of movies.

As far as them actually delivering services this time, I'll keep an open mind.

naruto_sensei
05-17-2005, 05:58 PM
This is why I am dubious:

May 17, 2005 - In a recent post on the Voodoo Extreme message boards, Epic Games' Vice-President and long-time gamer Mark Reign gave his two cents on the PS3 movies presented at Sony's press conference yesterday in Culver City, California. Here's what he had to say:

In addition to the Sony demos being shown by Phil Harrison, the Epic and EA presentations were the only third party portions actually running on the PS3 in real-time. But most of those movies, which I probably watched three or four during rehearsals for the event, look very achievable and some were probably rendered on the actual box but in non-real-time. When a system is year away, heck even with a system is six months away, it is reasonable to expect the power of the dev kits would still only be a fraction of the power of the final system."

So Killzone = fake, Getaway = fake, motorcross = fake, with only EA and Epic bringing a real demo to the presentation. Both were excellent, but Unreal 3 on the PS3 doesn't look a generation beyond the Xbox360. Fight Night 3 is multi-platform, and we all know how EA loves to tweak game individually for each console. That being said, the PS3 has serious potential but I don't get excited over cg renders of movies.

As far as them actually delivering services this time, I'll keep an open mind.
um.
killzone, getaway, motorcross (not sure about this one) and also that insomniac shooter are first party though...

DBJAY
05-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Read the second bolded sentence over.

The only demos that were not cinematics were Unreal and Fight Night 3.

If you want to see even more CG movies, check out

http://www.gametrailers.com

There you can see cg movies of plenty of games, including Ghost Recon 3 - which is cleary all intro cg like KZ2, and Project Gotham Racing 3 - which also is not gameplay, like GT5. Or even for a greater comparison, Tekken 6's intro if Jin vs. the intro shots of Doa4. Both non-representative of the actual game.

I don't have a problem with companies using CG or cinematics/cut scenes to promote their games, but when they try to pass themself as what the game actually is, that's deception.

naruto_sensei
05-17-2005, 06:19 PM
those movies are same as the ones used in press conferences right? cause I already seen all 3 of them.

gearhound
05-17-2005, 06:37 PM
that is so fucking pathetic. i want to see gameplay not BS CG videos. how is that supposed to get me exited? it has nothing to do with gameplay. i swear these marketing ******* are brilliant. if they were smart they would show gameplay; CG is totally irrelevant.

Reality
05-17-2005, 06:55 PM
They tried to make Killzone look like it's all gameplay but that wasn't well done at all. After just watching it, I can see why many say they'll pass.

Joe Redifer
05-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Fright Night 3 and Unreal Engine 3 (what an ?ber retarded name for a game. Someone needs to be shot in the face) were most certainly cinematics. How so? There was not a single playable camera angle in them, especially Unreal Engine 3 (did I mention how whoever thought of this name needs to be shot in the face?) so it was obvious that they weren't playing the game right then and there. And with the camera constantly speeding up and slowing down, playing the game would be impossible.

manji72
05-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Unreal Engine 3 is the prog they used to make the graphics the game was actually Unreal Tournament 2007. And from what I'm hearing if you really comapre specs between XBOX360 and PS3 they are very close the only reason PS3 numbers look impressive is because they use different wording its pretty much like comparing Gamecube(XBOX360) vs. XBOX(PS3).

Decado
05-17-2005, 09:30 PM
The PS3 doesn't need to be more powerful than the Xbox360. "Just as" is good enough. If it is as easy or easier to develop for Sony will be in good shape (despite having one of the ugliest controller designs ever).

athlon
05-18-2005, 01:14 AM
Fright Night 3 and Unreal Engine 3 (what an ?ber retarded name for a game. Someone needs to be shot in the face) were most certainly cinematics. How so? There was not a single playable camera angle in them, especially Unreal Engine 3 (did I mention how whoever thought of this name needs to be shot in the face?) so it was obvious that they weren't playing the game right then and there. And with the camera constantly speeding up and slowing down, playing the game would be impossible.

Actually, there are articles from the Epic developer saying that Unreal 3 engine was in game. He was able to manipulate the camera during the demo, zooming in and out. Unreal 3 is designed to run on A current genegration Nvidia 6800 Ultra. The PS3 has two of them in SLI mode. How is it possible that Unreal 2007 was not in game? It even came from the horse's mouth that it was.

burpingcat
05-18-2005, 02:51 AM
Well, guys, as I spent 1 hour and ~40 minutes of my life watching that Sony presentation, and as the people with weak public speaking skills started to fade in and out and the game demo reels started to roll.....I started to speculate on something....

As far as presentations like this go, it seems to me like there is definitely a grey area in the "rules" of what's in-game and what's simply pre-rendered cinematics.

When developers were showcasing their games, they didn't always say "this is running real-time on the PS3". Thing is, they never bother to mention when something ISN'T running real-time. And you always have a reason to doubt that they are telling the truth when they say it's real-time....so essentially, people are pretty much left to their own wits to figure out if it's real-time or not.

I mean we generally assume that cinematic things are "pre-rendered" and camera angles that stick to gameplay are "real"...but you can render something to look just like gameplay (that Killzone 2 video looks a lot like gameplay), and a console can generate cinematics on the fly that aren't pre-rendered.

At this point, it's really hard to judge what's fake and what's not. And it's kind of hard to point fingers at developers for deception when the rules aren't even well-defined. I mean, sure the UNREAL ENGINE 3 guy paused the demo at one point and moved the camera around, but how are we supposed to be sure that wasn't all part of the render? I didn't even see that demo load up, I didn't see a PS3 anywhere in sight, not even a dev system. There's no way of really being sure, and so it's hard to judge any demo.

Swordsman
05-21-2005, 03:43 PM
so we will be saving game on the ps3 harddisk ? can we save ps and ps2 games on ps3 as well ?