PDA

View Full Version : Alucards C64/Amiga memories and reviews

Alucard
05-13-2005, 12:30 PM
I was looking at my favourite C64 site and I got that gooey sloppy almost melting feeling as I recalled all those brilliant games. So since majority of you probably never even played them, I'm gonna throw up some of my memories here for as long as this idea amuses me. For now theres nothing because I'm in happy memory mode.

Paper exe
05-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Finally, I will know some stuff about C64 and Amiga games.

Note-Before any misunderstanding happened, C64 and Amiga, either did not release in my country or I was not born when any one of them released, so it is not my fault.

Alucard
05-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Well the C64 lifespan was roughly from 1983 to 1989, which led to the Amiga being released. That lasted to around 92 and a couple years onwards since in 92 they brought out the Amiga1200, which was more like a PC.

Escaflowne2001
05-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Commodore 16 was my first computer then I went onto the Commodore 64 and played it until the release of the PsOne. Then went back to the older consoles. Great times indeed...

Paper exe
05-13-2005, 01:26 PM
So I was right. C64 released when I was yet to be born and Amiga did not release in my country. :)

Havoc2049
05-13-2005, 02:30 PM
I was a C-64 and then an Atari ST man myself. The Amiga and Atari ST had many of the same games, but I will admit, that the Amiga was a slightly more powerful gaming and multimedia machine. I would take TOS over Workbench anyday though.

My first computer was actually an Atari 400, but that was way to underpowered with only 16k. I saved up a bunch of money from a summer job as a kid and couldn't decide what to get, one of the new Atari 65/130XE or the C-64c or C-128 computers. My heart was with Atari, but the C-64/128 line was pulling ahead and getting more of the cool new games. I went with the C-64c and was happy with all the great games, software and the cool high tech design.

I think the Amiga actually came out in late 1985 or early 1986. I know the Atari 520 ST came out in 1985 and beat the Amiga 1000 to market by a few months. The Amiga 1200/3000 and Atari Falcon computers were actually some really powerful gaming machines, but the writing was already on the wall, as the Windows/Intel juggernaut was taking over. For a while, I even though Apple and the Mac were done for.

Remember when Electronic Arts used to make really good original games? They were independent Electronic Artists...oh how times have changed. Ever since Trip Hawkins left EA, they went down hill.

Joe Redifer
05-13-2005, 06:49 PM
I almost bought an Atari ST. I liked the way that cheeseball flight simulator looked that they advertised on TV. But I ended up getting a Sega Master System instead. THANK GOD!

Icarus4578
05-14-2005, 05:13 AM
I love my C64/128. I once bought some game pack with like 20 games included. I played it nonstop for days.

Alucard
05-14-2005, 08:18 AM
Atari ST was a brilliant system. But yeah, it had alot of games that did the rounds from Amiga/C64/Amstrad. Much joy and fun.. Which leads me to my first old time review C64 classic! I might follow up with an Amiga one, but my soul is owned by the C64 era..

PSI-5 Trading Company

Going by memory now so correct me if I stuff up somewhere, those who have played it..

I'd like to start off by simply saying back in the days when the internet wasnt around you pretty much just bought games off the shelf and hoped it was a hit or miss. Ofcourse there were some gaming magazines around, like the BRILLIANT 'Zzzap C64' magazine. Lots of info on C64 games, and with people who were actually funny. The only gaming magazine I ever collected happily.

Ok.. I bought Psi-5 when I saw it on the shelf, had no idea what it was but it was there and I wanted it. Basically its a space trading game, though without any focus on trading. You chose your route paths, short, medium, or long. Each one was longer and more dfficult then the last. Now the main MEAT of the game was to choose your 5 crew mates who would help you along the mission. Picture below shows some mor einfo..

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/psi-5_trading_company_02.gif

There were quite a few different races to choose from for each section, and each one was either very good at something specific or not, such as not being able to handle pressure too well. Which meant when you were under attack there was a good chance they'd go flakey and screw up often.

You would select each section and then get a list of other things you could choose. Like say Scan for example, you would go in and depending how many ships were around, you could scan them to see if they were enemies or not, so as to get the jump on them instead of being hit first. They could also lock on ships so your weapons would be acurate.

Other cool parts was engineering, where you could move power about the ship to have more for weapons, more for shields, etc etc, depending on how badly you were being owned at the time. Repair was straight forward, fixing a list of stuff broken, weapons etc Navigation choosing your route and how fast to be travelling etc.

I'm being fairly simple with the descriptions, but I dont think I need to write a story on each one of them if you get the general idea of it. Where the big green bar with the chat is where you got your ship commands, and you could also chat to each of the crew.

The game was brilliant and challenging. Not TOO indepth, but a real challenge and great fun to play. I must of completed this game at least a couple dozen times.

Alucard Metre of orgasmic pleasure, 9/10 .. This game was damn fun and hectic.

Nephlabobo
05-14-2005, 09:20 AM
C64 was a brilliant machine. I take mine out of storage and play it whenever I go home.

I loved those SSI Goldbox D&D games.

Hell - even EA made games that didn't suck back then.

Joe Redifer
05-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I remember how C64 used to change the music of their arcade translations. Not sure why, but Space Harrier's music was completely redone as well as many other arcade games. The new Ron Hubbard music ended up being pretty good, but the whole scenario is puzzling nonetheless.

Nephlabobo
05-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Might be a music rights issue or a memory issue.

Alucard
05-14-2005, 11:56 PM
Not really. Quite a few games have different music to their arcade versions. Look at SNK for example. Their music differs slightly from their arcade versions to their own console versions.

Joe Redifer
05-15-2005, 03:16 AM
But SNK music is mostly crap, so they were probably trying to get something better. Since SNK does not employ good musicians, the new stuff they came up with was also crap. The original Sega arcade tunage was great, memorable stuff not to be experienced by computer gamers.

Alucard
05-15-2005, 04:14 AM
Before 98-99, SNK made awesome music. Then something went wrong.. Anyway I'm not gonna debate about music. This is for C64! Begone!

Joe Redifer
05-15-2005, 04:55 AM
We are discussing Space Harrier's redone music for the C64! I demand to know the reason for the change!

PS - I am the first post on this page, which means that it is also the best post and I cannot be proven wrong on this page, as it is mine.

Icarus4578
06-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Let's see some more material Alucard. You can't let your thread die after just one game!

Alkaiser
06-15-2005, 03:51 PM
That's it? One game?!

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor.

I call your 1 game:

http://www.netjak.com/review.php/797

Don't MAKE me go all-in on your "j-chick who looks like she's wearing a wedding ring and biting on a cross necklace avatar" having ass!

Icarus4578
06-16-2005, 08:41 AM
Alucard doesn't love us anymore. This is his way of rebelling.

Alucard
06-17-2005, 03:50 PM
After being threatened and fearing for my life, I've decided to muster up y laziness and throw it out the window to put up another short but hopefully sweet review!! Lets see..which game should I pick today.. I mean theres DOZENS of them but its 5am and I have to up at 8 so I can stay too long, wtf is that sound outside, like a bird DYING but with FORCE! Anyway...

WIZBALL!!

Now I'm going to be super lazy here and cut and paste part of a review of this game in here when I'm done with my memory flashbacks as its been SO long sicne I played it that my descriptions would just suck so much. FIRST off heres some pics!

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/wizball_02.gif
http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/wizball_03.gif

RIGHTO! This game is BRILLIANT! If you look up at the screens you'll notice a big green ball with a face on and a little green ball near it. You start off as that big green ball without that little one, which is called a cat. This game was brought out by Ocean, or distributed by them or something, cause back then I wasnt too familiar, as an 10 year old or whatever, about which was the developer and publisher. But I loved almost any game that had the OCEAN symbol on it.

So anyway. You play that large green ball. You bounce up and down on the spot. The way to move about is by spinning yourself round and round by holding one way or the other way on the joystick, so depending how fast you were spinning would dictate how far you bounced across the screen. Bouncing too far was dangerous because you could smash into something and die. See in the second screen those weird floating...lego like...DNA strand thingies? When you shoot these things they would drop a drop of liquid, and each one would be a different colour. You used these 'colours' to fill up cauldrons you had at the bottom of the screen, and each colour did something different. You needed to fill up all the cauldrons to complete the stage. Also see those holes in the ground? Those are gateways to the next level of the stage since you had to go back and forth between levels to complete stages.

Now with that smaller green thing called the cat, this is an extra ability. Once you get the right amount cauldrons, if I recall correctly, you could add a power to yourself by shaking the joystick quickly from side to side. Some of these abilities would be fire power, a shield, the ability to actually FLOAT around instead of bounce, which made collecting the drops ALOT easier. The cat is also another ability. If you hold down the firebutton then you can control it and use it to collect drops or smash certain things that are just too dangerous to go near for fear of hitting things around it. It'll die after a little but you can bring it back. The COOL thing about multiplayer is that one of you controls the larger one and the other controls the cat. It was SO much fun to play and I must of completed it over a dozen times.
Ok, heres the bit I'm going to cut and paste cause I'm lazy...

Collecting a grey droplet endows the Cat with 128 lives, wheras a black droplet makes the scenery go black - vision is restored by shooting a certain number of aliens. Catching a light blue droplet results in a 'Filth Raid' - sirens balring and blue lights flashing, six ships zoom in for the kill. A carelessly consumed purple droplet drives the cat insane, causing him to zip around the screen, miaowing with rage until he's killed. The white droplet gives an extra life.

The game had alot of depth in it. While the graphics were the greatest around, the game was bloody fun, the music was EXCELLENT, and overall its one game that will always stay in my memories as one of those works of magic.

10/10!!!

Alucard
06-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Ok I'm going to BLESS you lot with a quick second review of another game that holds a spot in my heart. This game is called...

MAD DOCTOR!!

Now think of this as the story of Dr Frankestien. You play the 'mad' doctor. Your sole object is to go around the adjascent villages and morgues and pilfer human parts to create your 'monster'. The whole purpose is to get it to perform on stage and do simple commands. If the monster does as you say then you complete the game! Otherwise it'll go berserk and kill everyone and yourself unless you sedate it.

You start off by going around the town and collecting stuff like needles for sedatives, a kite so you can use to electricute your monster to life, etc. Then the fun part. You can go around and BEAT the crap out of people and then carry them back to your lab. Now this part is a bit tricky. You dont want to beat them up TOO much otherwise their 'parts' become too damaged and this leads to retard monster. So you kill them 'lightly' and get them back to your castle before they regain conciousness. Here you examine each of their parts and decide which parts you want to keep, or if you want to just reject them all and just KILL them and toss their body away somewhere. Also I forgot to mention, walking around at night is also MUCH more safer. And you need to head home to eat now and then or you'll lose health.

You need to be VERY careful noone spots you or the police will come for you and so will other villages and they will beat you to death. So you dumb the body FAR from your castle. The cool thing was watching villagers come over to the body and start to carry it away slowly though to the cemetary, and I'd sit there and think ''aww its the family carrying away their father/daughter/mother/etc, they look so sad, oh theres someone on their own over there....''.

You could do it the safe way and get parts from people already dead, but its hard to find useful parts, and as mentioned before a retarded monster is a bad monster. Apart from butchering people and desecrating graves, you could also pull down the local resident who had been hanged int he town square. Once you put the monster together you zap him with the kite in the fields and then try to teach him commands. You needed to be careful though because there would always be people nearby, so you'd have to take little secret passage ways from your castle to certain areas. Definately helped when you had a throng of villagers CHASING you back towards your castle to KILL you.

I also loved the fact that you had a dungeon in your castle that you could lock people up and watch them come back to reality and just frantically run back and forth inside it. FRESH MEAT! This game was a total gem. First pic is the map screen where you walk between towns, and second is your bedroom in the castle. The graphics werent that special, but unlike today, you never actually cared about graphics since the games were complete magic.

As mentioned already, this game was magic. Must of completed it over a dozen times and more.

10/10!!!

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/mad_doctor_01.gif

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/mad_doctor_03.gif

Alucard
06-18-2005, 06:03 AM
OHNO I am on a role! Heres another favourite of mine!

PARADROID!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!

As I've said before with all the other games, this one also was BRILLIANT! The whole premise of the game was you were boarding a ship that had all its robots go in rogue crazy mode and you needed to wipe them all out. The actual look of the game was pretty different. Heres a screen!!

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/paradroid_04.gif

What you're seeing there is the layout. DOH! You control your own droid, 001. Each droid has its own power level, and the higher the number of the droid, the more powerful. There were 2 ways of defeating them. One way was to shoot your lasers at them. The other way was to override one of them and take them over so you control a sronger more powerful droid. The way you did this was hold down the fire button till you started to glow and then CHARGED the nearest droid and ram them. Once you did this successfully without getting killed (Best not to go for something TOO Strong compared to you), you would get this screen....

http://homepages.tesco.net/~parsonsp/assets/images/Paradroid4.gif

What you're looking at is something pretty fun.You're the white guy on one side, and you fight the one on the other. See how on your side you have 5 little yellow triangles along the side and the enemy has 3? You use these to activate one of the lines on your side. It should look fairly straight forward, you need to get the colours in the middle to match your colours and have more of them to win. You can both fight over the same square, but you will need to time it so yours outlasts the enemies and thereby taking it over. It was very tactical.

If you won you became that droid. If you lost you FRIZZED yourself back to 001, and if you were already 001 you'd just DIE! Alot of the robots had bios you could look up and also different weapons for a select few. Like for example the 999 one had the ability to make the screen FLASH, and any droids around would get obliterated. Problem is it would hurt you aswell, but not as much. You could always regenerate your health by finding little wall connector things where you pressed up against them and you healed.

My favourite droid to get was type 883, the pic below should say it all really.

http://homepages.tesco.net/~parsonsp/assets/images/Parad883.gif

There were multiple levels on the ship, we're talking near 20 or something, and you could telelport around by going to specific sections of each level where you had a teleporter. The excellent Zzap!! magazine gave this game 97% back in the day. Its an awesome game and very addictive, and for all the times I played this game, I dont actually recall completing it. Was hard! Quick little note. Dont think just because theres droid 001 to 999, that theres almost 1000 droids to kill. They skip HEAPS of numbers and theres alot of doubles around.

10/10!!!

Icarus4578
06-18-2005, 08:42 AM
Mad Doctor looks very cool. I'll have to play that one. Thanks for the "BRILLIANT!" reviews Alucard. Three perfect 10 games in a row!? Must be superior to all of the current gen games!

Alucard
06-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Games released in the late 80s and still have a very strong place within my memories. I dont want to say things like these 3 games are above other classics like Chrono Trigger or whatever. But as games go, these 3 rocked my world for MANY years. I played them over a span of 8 years.

Havoc2049
06-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Where is the Project Firestart review? :D One of the creepiest early survival horror games, IMO.

Alucard
06-18-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm not a machine!!!! What do you people want from me!

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/project_firestart_03.gif

10/10!

Paper exe
06-18-2005, 03:45 PM
I think Mad Doctor looks to be a very good game! :D
But, his room is really gloomy, or it may just be me, because I hate gray. :sweat:

Nindalf
06-18-2005, 03:57 PM

10/10!

Best review ever.

Seska
06-18-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm not a machine!!!! What do you people want from me!

10/10!

I am sensing a pattern here.

Bah! Amiga Schmiga, all you put up are C64 games! I hereby forward a motion for Alucard to rename the topic of the thread to "Alucard's 10/10 games thread". :D

Nephlabobo
06-19-2005, 01:39 AM
I've never seen Mad Doctor before.....damn that game looks fun.

Alucard
06-19-2005, 03:45 AM
I'll bring the Amiga games soon! Besides you might notice alot of the C64 and Amiga games are cross titles. I probably should be putting up the Amiga screenshots too.. hmm.

Ok, heres a couple screens of the Amiga version of wizball, though plays exactly the same.

http://marticus.midnightrealm.org/wiz/shots/amigagame2.png
http://marticus.midnightrealm.org/wiz/shots/amigagame1.png

Not a HUGE difference, just mainly more colours.

Screenshot of the C64 below without the cropping the other screens had, so you can compare.

http://marticus.midnightrealm.org/wiz/shots/c64game2.png

haruko
06-28-2005, 10:00 AM
http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/mad_doctor_03.gif
I remember Mad Doctor and absolutely loved it. I would have also given that masterpiece 10/10. There was another game similar to this (made byt the same dude, same look and feel etc.) but obviously without the morbid overtones but I cant remember what that was called?

haruko
06-28-2005, 10:09 AM
http://druidhk.no-ip.com:8081/images/l/last_ninja_1_2.gif
Well I have to say for me it was Last Ninja that really created the addication. I had the Game'N Watch collections and the Atari2600 but when I first saw Last Ninja in action it was like a bright shining light came out of the television and possessed me to play video games everyday of my life, and here I am more than 20 years later still respecting this work of art. 10/10

http://www.tdubel.com/emulaattorit/kuvat/c64pelit/lastnin2.gif
Then came the sequel, and Last Ninja 2 is still to this day IMO the greatest video game ever coded! 10/10

Alucard
07-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Oh wow Last Ninja was an awesome series. I remember in the first game trying to jump those stones in the lake. Awesome music too. I second the 10/10 mark.

My next joy of rememberence!!! DEFENDER OF THE CROWN!

This game I honestly believe I've completed about 100 times. Its centered in England, and you are 1 of 6 lords of the land. Your aim is to conquer all of Great Brittain! There were many ways to do this. First you needed money. Each round, depending on what parts of land you had, you got a certain amount of gold. With this you bought troops, everything from infantry, to horsemen, and even catapults. To protect your land you could fortify it with a little barracks. Now if you were attacking one such fortified piece of land, you had a couple options. You could 'raid', which meant you would control 1 guy and sword fight your way through and hope to get plenty of money in the end, or you could attack it outright with your catapults and then men. Though you generally raided the main castle of the other lords.

Anyway! Apart from fun in the sun with attacking, there were also side parts to the game. Every now and then a jousting tournament would pop up and you would compete. You could choose each rounds prize. Like bet 1 piece of land for theirs, bet money, or bet fame. Lots of fun. Oh yeah, sometimes you would get an option to marry some SKANK from a rival lord. If you married her you would get their land and troops instantly. The last cool part was you could ask Robin Hood for help about 3 times in the game. So if you were attacking someone alot stronger then you, he would toss you some extra money. I'm hoping all that was acurate and I didnt forget anything, but its been a while since I played it.

I've played the C64, Amiga, and PC version. Though back then it was on an Amstrad. From what I remember, PC version was dead easy, C64 was bloody hard, and Amiga looked the best of the lot. So all up probably the Amiga was the best version. They recently ported it to the GBA, though I aint played it it looks fairly similar. They also remade the game entirely for the PC recently. Vey old school with quite a few new stuff, like for raiding its all 3D and you're an archer in the tree firing at some lords men as they pass under you with crates of money. Didnt get to mess with it thoroughly, but its on my to do list. Along with half the world. So heres some screens!

10/10!!!

This is the map screen for the C64, and below it for the Amiga. Big difference! Third one is the detailed map option.

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/defender_of_the_crown_05.gif
http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/szakdolg/katona/image/amiga_game/010_02_defender_of_the_crown.jpg
http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/szakdolg/katona/image/amiga_game/010_01_defender_of_the_crown.jpg

One of the whores you can marry, theres like 5 different one I think. I always prayed I didnt get the fugly one, otherwise I'd palm her away and take the country by force. This is an Amiga screen I think.

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/images/mag/Features/Pictures/0001616,05.jpeg

Raiding screen from the C64! and below the Amiga version
http://maccabi.dns.org.il/c64/images/defender_of_the_crown_09.gif

http://panda.net.au/dotc/dotc-raid.gif

Jousting! C64 above, Amiga below..

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/defender_of_the_crown_07.gif

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/screenshots/full/defender_of_the_crown_08.gif

Well that was certainly fun!! Heres a link to a site that has random roms of the game from different systems that you can download and play on an emulator. Brilliant! Back in the day Zzzap!! Magazine gave the game 94%

http://panda.net.au/dotc/

Nindalf
07-13-2005, 08:54 PM
I have Defender of the Crown on NES. Fun little game. The tournaments were fun.

Icarus4578
07-14-2005, 09:43 AM
Man, the Amiga version looks way better than the one on C64! I've gotta check this puppy out.

By any chance, would you happen to remember a game which was for the Macintosh where you were trying to ascend in a room and there was a ton of stuff going on on-screen? I remember that there was a witch flipping through a book at the top of the screen. I tried that game a long time ago and cannot remember what it was called. Any idea?

Alucard
07-14-2005, 09:51 AM
I cant think of anything with that description. Although then again its been so long that it sounds kinda weird to me.

Icarus4578
07-14-2005, 10:04 AM
It's not easy to figure out, obviously, because otherwise I would've found it already. I've been wanting to play that game again very badly.

Nephlabobo
07-15-2005, 07:06 AM
C 64 was bloody hard - but I have to agree with you....

10/10!

I loved this game :D :cool guy:

Nindalf
07-16-2005, 01:22 PM
Alucard, have you played It Came From The Desert?
http://www.winload.de/bilder/screenshots/20504/itcamefromthedesert.gif
http://www.nostalgica.nu/i/it_came_f_t_desert.gif
http://www.retropoly.de/bilder/spielberichte/itcamefromthedesert.jpeg

Awesomeness.

Alucard
07-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Gah! I remember I didnt play much of that game since I didnt own it and I played it at a friends house, but it was pretty freakish. I'd forgotten all about it till now. I think I'm gonna find me some ROMS!

Nindalf
07-16-2005, 05:51 PM
I don't know if you know this site, although probably you do, since you're such a classic gaming whore, but you can download It Came From The Desert and TONS of other old games for free and legally from The-Underdogs.org (http://www.the-underdogs.org)

Direct link to It Came From The Desert (http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=561) , site usually has reviews of the games too. Love this site.

Alucard
09-29-2005, 11:04 AM
The calm before the storm...

Alucard
10-01-2005, 07:43 AM
OK! Its been a while since my last brief review, and now I've decided to remove my slack-lock <tm> and give you some more juicy ones. This next review is a personal fave of mine, and one where I still own it and the box it came in. X-Out MY REVIEW!! Brief!

X-OUT

This was a brilliant BRILLIANT shoot-em-up for the C64. Also out for others like the Amiga and Atari ST. But before I mention much about the game, I want to dedicate a little corner to the legends that were RAINBOW ARTS! They created this game as well as many other classics.

Game publisher and developer founded in 1984 in Guetersloh, Germany. Early in the 80's they gathered many talented people from all over Germany, like Armin Gessert (founder of the fairly new company Spellbound), Thomas Hertzler (now head of Blue Byte), Chris Huelsbeck, Manfred Trenz and many more to become one of the biggest names in computer entertainment in Europe from 1986 to around 1991. All their games from that time were mainly made for the C64 and the Amiga and only very few were converted to the IBM-PC later on. Early in the 90's most of Rainbow Arts people went on to work somewhere else or to form their own independent companies (Blue Byte, Factor 5). Rainbow Arts became part of Softgold/Funsoft and are now part of THQ, as Funsoft itself was bought by THQ in 1999. In the PC era they only produced a few games like Imperium Romanum, a fun graphic adventure that plays in a world where the Roman Empire had survived till the present and Lollypop, a cute jump'n run.

Well theres my ode to rainbow Arts. To the game!!

While roaming the shelves at my local store back in the day, I saw this pretty little box and said WOOT! Shooty game! And bought it. I can probably compare X-Out a little to R-Type. They're both horizontal scrollers, and they both have powerups for your ship. However, with X-Out you get your power ups BEFORE you start the mission. You get them by money. I'll put some screens up to show what I mean.

C-64 shoppe!!
http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/x-out_04.gif

Amiga Version
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9150/xout040qa.jpg

Using the Amiga screen as an example, you can see theres 4 types of ships you can buy. Each ship can fit more things. Top right is a green outline of your ship and you attach the weapons to that. Top middle is your ships your custom ships you can choose from before the missions start. The bottom, well fairly straight forward. Bottom left, 3 types of firepower, one stronger then the one before, beside them the ships you can buy, and after that 2 sections of different upgrades. Its just brilliant.

This game was DAMN HARD!!! I cant speak for the Amiga version since I never had it, but its a very hard game. But oh so fun. Extremely colourful, every boss is very cool, and the stages are great. Game is brilliant. I dont know what more I can say apart form brilliant, play it, and play it now if you like shootemups.

My Score!!

10/10!!!

Heres more screens

C-64 screens first...

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/x-out_06.gif
http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/x-out_05.gif
http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/x-out_01.gif

The prettier Amiga ones!!

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/2654/xout028ok.gif

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/screenshots/full/x-out_06.gif

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/6574/xout080ru.gif

Brilliant!

Alucard
10-01-2005, 07:43 AM
CREATURES!!!!!!!

Ok this game has a special place in my heart. Its just so wonderful and lovely. How can I describe it... Its basically a platformer. You're this little mutant hairy alien blob with arms and legs, and you can spit fire at your enemies. You collect things during the stage like mushrooms and later trade them for weapons at the shop. So the game consists of you going along hophop platformer sideways mario style, and then when you get to the end area, you have 1 dungeon style screen. This is where the game captured my heart. One of you friends is trapped to a torture device! Your mission is to reach them and save them before something BAD happens... Observe yon screen!!

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/creatures_09.gif

Thats you at the lower right standing like a retard. You have to figure your way around and stop them with their ADVANCED ALIEN machine stsrem to stop your friend from being hax0red up by the chainsaw. But what happens if you dont make it in time I hear you ask? Well, your friend gets to the chainsaw, and you see him FLAILING as blood SPEWS out and he quickly dies. It was one of the greatest moments I'd ever seen in a video game. This game was released back in 1990, and even the GLORIOUS Zzzap!! magazine gave this game a 96% score. Sadly I cant remember too much about it, but that chainsaw stage is permanently etched into my brain. The game spawned a sequel, which I heard was even harder but I never got a chance to mess with it... My score..

9/10!!

Heres some screens! C-64 first as always.

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/creatures_02.gif

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/creatures_07.gif

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/creatures_10.gif

AMIGA!

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/screenshots/full/creatures_06.gif

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/screenshots/full/creatures_07.gif

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/screenshots/full/creatures_09.gif

Alucard
10-01-2005, 07:44 AM
This next game is a bit of a surprise...

RANA RAMA

Now heres something strange... Graphics, poor. Sound, poor. Gameplay? Legendary. This game is nothing to look at, but man did it stick into my head as oneof the best games I ever played. I got it free with my Zzap!! magazine since it usually came with demos and sometimes a full game. Imagine getting a full game with todays magazines huh? HAH!!!

Going by memory, which is always a dodgy thing for me to do, you played a wizards apprentice who was turned into a frog. You have to go from room to room looking fr potions and for RUNES, which you create into spells to be able to fight your way through to the end of each level to face off with necromancers or warlocks. At first the game is a bit strange and very hard. It actually took me quite a few goes to finally figure out WTF I was needing to do in it. But it was SO cool exploring and looking for runes and then using your new spells. Was just magic. ohnoes a PUN!

I cant really say too much else. Its got a great gameplay system. Made back in 1987. But as I said, graphics and sound are below par, and you can tell it was made by 1 guy. But this guy goes on record to prove that if you have great gameplay and a great idea, graphics and sound dont matter. Something thats lost in todays games. I mean Adventure games back then were TYPING games where you actually used your keyboard to type out what direction you wanted to go, and what commands to do, while on screen the top half was a picture of the room/area you were in at the time that would load and change each time you moved, and lower half was all text story info stuff. Ok, SLIGHTLY off tangent there. But you get the idea. Those adventure games were brilliant also. Um...oh yeah, my score!!

9/10!!

C64 screens!! Sorry! Wasnt made for Amiga!

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/rana_rama_02.gif

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/rana_rama_03.gif

Will any of you play this game? I doubt it with all my soul.

Alucard
10-01-2005, 07:44 AM
RE-BOUNDER!

Yes, another game close to my heart. This is the SEQUEL to Bounder. Its a side-scroller where you play as a tennis ball. You heard. It bounces up and down, up being TOWARDS you, and down means away, which means it gets smaller. Now the reason I mention that bit is because it crolls sideways, and your aim is to jump with good timing to hop over obstacles, hop onto floating platforms, avoid enemies, and defeat the end boss. Now when you bounce, dont think you're commited to a direction you hold. You can move WHILE in the air in any direction you want untill you land. You can get powerups as you go which either give you more and more armour so as to survive any direct hits better, and also better firepower so you can pwn your enemies as you bounce along. Some platforms made you jump further, some others disappeared if you landed on then twice, so you had to be VERY careful how you advanced while the screen scrolled along and you held back waiting for a perfect moment.

Theres ALOT of imagination in this game, the graphics are nice for something made in 1987, and the sound was brilliant. This game was excellent and very addictive. My score? Ofcourse its high.

9/10!!

C64 screens!! Sorry, wasnt on the Amiga.

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/re-bounder_01.gif

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/re-bounder_02.gif

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/re-bounder_03.gif

Alucard
10-01-2005, 07:45 AM
But wait!!! WAIT ALUCARD I hear you say! Why are all your games always an 9 or above? Was the C-64 REALLY such a godly gaming system? No, there were some bad games, but I dont think its worth writing about them. I'll write up one thats actually not too bad, but fun aswell..

Deathwish III

Ok, I know I said I'd do one about a bad game, but th emore I think back, the more I remember enjoying this alot. Released in 1987 and sorta based off the popular Deathwish movie series by Charles Bronson, this game had good graphics, great music, good gameplay, but...um...no point to it. I dont know if you actually HAD to do something, but I never met anyone who seemed to know. The whole point of the game, that I could tell, was to wipe out the streets of evil bad guys. With this task you had a few weapons to choose from. Simple handguns to machine guns and, my personal favourite, Rocket Launcher! You'd just go around and blow people away. If you were fast enough you could shoot someone again before they fell, and they'd do this little spastic fit as they were pushed back slightly. Now picture a machine gun and a wall at the end of the screen so they cant go any further.. Spastic fit on the wall till you run out of bullets! Rocket launcher? Well once you shot them they turned into this pulpy mound.

You had a map and you could walk around the streets, this being single static screens untill you got to the end of it and it would flick to the next screen, and even go into houses. You could also look out the windows and it would give you a view of what the outside was. You found guns inside the houses aswell as a few other things. Like more bad guys! One of the coolest things you could do was shoot the grandmother. She'd get her purse stolen every now and then and sadly if she was infront of the guy who stole it, you'd shoot her instead. Machine gun her up against the wall you say? Oh yes... Oooooh yes indeed. Bloody FUN game. At at the age of 13, I was laughing my guts up at it. I remember I took out most of them till there was hardly anything around. I dont know if they respawned after a while, or I had to do something. But man, this one of the first few games that others like GTA idolize. I think it got banned in a few countries. Well, I turned out alright! I remember telling my friends to SHOOT THE GRANDMA when they were playing it. Oh fun! You could shoot the cops aswell. MY SCORE!

7/10! I should probably give it a 5 or 6, but I just had too much fun with it.

Screens!!! C64 only again. No Amiga version.

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/death_wish_3_03.gif

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/death_wish_3_02.gif

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/death_wish_3_01.gif

Alucard
10-01-2005, 07:46 AM
And now comes my special reviewing thread...noone has one of these and I will be the FIRST to do one.. I shall dub it....60 SECOND FAST MONEY REVIEW GAME!!!!!!!! I basically stuff up games I remember fondly but with very little detail cause I'm a retard, and give it a quick little paragraph. Since its not good enough to earn its own post, I'll throw in a bunch of games real quick. These games are a GO PLAY THE EMULATOR type ones. FIRSTLY!

Dragon riders of Pern

Based off the book series, this was a total text game, with an arcade level in it. This was a very good game, alot of depth really and very political based. Heres a screen!!

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/dragonriders_of_pern_01.gif

Each section branched off into more sections and you could do ALOT of crap. This is the sort of stuff us 10 year olds grew up with. Games where you needed to THINK hard. Another reason we mocked the hell out of the NES people :D As you can see above, the guy has no prospects for marriage. So you basically were trying to take over the land, and there was an arcade style element to it, in the following screen...

http://home.arcor.de/cybergoth/gamesc/dragonc64game.gif

Fly the dragon around and destroy the 'threads' before they hit the ground. The game was excellent. Very tricky and just immersive. C64 only. I rate it...8/10!!!

Dropzone!

Sidescroller horizontal style. You play this astronaught in some little jetpack, and you can turn either left or right and float about the moon shooting at little alien sprites. The aim of the gamne, rescue the retard little men on the surface by landing on them to pick them up, then dropping them off back at your base. Very simple, but oh so fun! Zzap! gave it 95%! At the time its definately deserved since its a great game and I'd love to give it a 9, but I'll toss an 8 at it. Maybe because its been so long since I played it. But it was DAMN good. Screen! C64 only, no Amiga version.

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/dropzone_02.gif

DRUID!!

Ok this game is BLOODY BRILLIANT. You're a happy little druid and you go around killing stuff and getting powerups/different attacks etc. You could summon golums to help you etc, and there was even a co-op mode. Pretty good for 1986! But yeah, I cant recall too much aside from it really was a brilliant game. Pretty hard, like MOST C64 games, but very technical in how you use your powers. You could cycle through them and use them on the enemy that would get the most benefit. Say you used fire, shooting a fireball at a monster and it took 5 to kill him, but a water ball would kill it in 2 hits. You'd have to refill them as you went etc. Great game. Zzap gave it 88%, I give it 9/10! C64 only!

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/druid_03.gif
Powers are at the top, even death magic. Thats you, the blue thing, but its the back of the druid so you dont see his handsome bearded face. Below you is a NASTY cockroach of DOOM! There was a sequel made but I never got my hands on it.

WARHAWK

Another BRILLIANT shoot-em-up! Not much to say really. MAde in 1986, good graphics, great music, great game, just great, loved it. 9/10!!! C64 only.

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/warhawk_07.gif

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/warhawk_06.gif

Wheelchair Football

Honestly, its better not to ask. I dont think I should grade it because...well... Its just funny. Soccer game done differently!

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/wheel_soccer_01.gif

Impossible Mission

Another GENIUS game from the developer EPYX, who rock. This game was just damn addictive. You're a guy who zips about the platform levels in a lift and goes into seperate rooms to find something that helped you complete the stage. You could search desks, computers, toilets, etc. All the while needing to dodge the enemies. Game was HARD and awesome, and they made a sequel which I never got to play either. Game was brilliant, Zzap gave it 95% I give it 10/10!! C64 only!

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/games/screenshots/full/impossible_mission_03.gif

Those yellow bits at the bottom? They're little mini lifts in the room that go up and down. Fall in the hole, DIE! It was very easy to DIE in this game... Stay a while....Staaay fooreveeeerr!!!!!!!

OK I'm done since I've got a headache. In my next foray of reviews, sometime in the near distant future, I plan to focus entirely on my rpg memories. I may end up doing a QUICK REVIEW style like this for them though since its hard to say too much about them. Excellent games! I hope you enjoyed my SPAM!

Seska
10-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Fly the dragon around and destroy the 'threads'

Id like to fly a dragon around and destroy this thread! :O

This needs to be made into an Amiga 500 thread instead!

Alucard
10-01-2005, 09:52 AM
They're reviews from the C64 you rotten cow! Sod off before I send nin after you!

Icarus4578
10-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Wow. Just wow. Great stuff, Alucard. I sort of remember playing Druid. Such memories! I played Impossible Mission on NES. I loved it whenever he'd fall into a hole and you'd hear thast long scream, "AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!"

Man, Wheelchair Football? Never even knew it existed. I know that it's a real sport for handicapped people, like wheelchair basketball. One thing the old computers had a lot more of than most consoles was variety. Old computer magazines used to come with floppy discs with games on 'em, as you mentioned, and they even came with the full codes for games so that if you felt like it you could "program" the entire game in from scratch and play it. My father did this once. It was insane because at first the game wouldn't work (this was on the C64/128 btw) and he had to read through ALL the code until he found one tiny mistake and fix it. :crazy:

Alucard
10-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Yeah, the C64 had heaps of things you could do. We were programming our own pick a path text adventures while the NES crowd were playing mario. Lord did we tease the crap out of them :D

Nindalf
10-02-2005, 04:21 AM
They got awesome games from stores and you had to make your own TEXT games, and you teased them? For what? For not being retards?

Alucard
10-02-2005, 04:39 AM
I could get games from the store AND create my own. What did the NES people do?

-Mummy mummy my game isnt working!

-Did you plug it in dear?

-YAY!........mummy mummy my game isnt working!!

-Did you turn the console on dear?

-YAY!...mummy mummy@@!!!!!@!!!

Meanwhile we had to use programming strings to load ours up, could create air balloons floating across the screen, make the screen go spastic colours, create moving pictures of our choice, make our own text adventures, etc! All this when comparing the average 10-13 year olds from one side to the other. Hell yeah we had a field day mocking the stupid retards!

Nindalf
10-02-2005, 04:44 AM
Meanwhile we had to use programming strings to load ours up, could create air balloons floating across the screen, make the screen go spastic colours, create moving pictures of our choice, make our own text adventures, etc! All this when comparing the average 10-13 year olds from one side to the other. Hell yeah we had a field day mocking the stupid retards!

Sound like you had a riot. Too bad that's FUCKING STUPID.

And your mommies bought your C12 games for you too. You lose.

Nintendo owners Buy
C3 1/2 owners Buy and WORK

Retards.

Alucard
10-02-2005, 05:27 AM
I bought all my games with my lunch money. I also knew how to save money. I would take my tape, copy it to a blank one, then MAGNATIZE the hell out of the original and take it back claiming faulty goods and swap it for another game. I rock.

And yeah I had plenty of fun. I also can spell MUMMY correctly! Use english, not american! Otherwise go move there!

Magnus
10-02-2005, 05:33 AM
MAGNATIZE

Use english, not american! Otherwise go move there!

It's also "Magne", regradless of which spelling you use ;)

Nindalf
10-02-2005, 05:33 AM
I bought all my games with my lunch money. I also knew how to save money. I would take my tape, copy it to a blank one, then MAGNATIZE the hell out of the original and take it back claiming faulty goods and swap it for another game. I rock.

And yeah I had plenty of fun. I also can spell MUMMY correctly! Use english, not american! Otherwise go move there!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/Nindalf/owls-2.jpg

Alucard
10-02-2005, 05:41 AM
Spelling errors and typos dont count compared to spelling mummy purposely as mommy!

Nindalf
10-02-2005, 05:44 AM
At least I can write without making typos, unlike you! And it's not even my first language!

LEARN THE LANGUAGE OR MOVE!

Alucard
10-02-2005, 05:49 AM
Why do you taint my thread you wretched turnip! I speak 2 languages, and thats mroe then most people!

Revelade
10-02-2005, 06:19 AM
You guys sure are the odd bunch. I love every minute of it. :D

Joe Redifer
10-02-2005, 06:38 AM
Who would want a mummy for a mom? I can't imagine how she could raise kids with all of those bandages on all the time. And if you are talking to a mummy, then that must mean it is alive, the walking dead. How do you kill mummies, anyway? I know for vampires it's a stake through the heart.

http://members.aol.com/clarksbears/mummy.jpg
MUMMY! RUN!

Alucard
10-02-2005, 07:09 AM
I think for mummies you set them on fire or something. At least, thats what I'd do.

Havoc2049
10-02-2005, 11:45 PM
By any chance, would you happen to remember a game which was for the Macintosh where you were trying to ascend in a room and there was a ton of stuff going on on-screen? I remember that there was a witch flipping through a book at the top of the screen. I tried that game a long time ago and cannot remember what it was called. Any idea?

Hmmm....if I remember correctly, that sounds like the intro to Dark Castle. It started out on the Mac and was then ported over to the C-64, Amiga and Atari ST.
http://www.maclovers.com/antiquariato/media/darkcastle.jpg

At the begining, you descend down into the first part of the castle on a rope and the game kinda has Castlevania platformer type gameplay. Am I right?

Daniel4802
10-03-2005, 02:43 AM
Some of my favorite Amiga games:

Shadow of the Beast I
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/820/shadowofthebeast056ea.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7839/shadowofthebeast101nr.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Leander
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3930/leander117hf.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7039/leander133zu.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Lemmings
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9545/lemmings045wv.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5562/lemmings102mu.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/8223/leisuresuitlarry027zd.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1322/leisuresuitlarry042kh.gif (http://imageshack.us)
The Three Stoges
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6818/threestooges096tk.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/9840/threestooges046yd.gif (http://imageshack.us)
TV Sports Football
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/7876/tvsportsfootball013ru.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/9631/tvsportsfootball038ms.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Daniel4802
10-03-2005, 03:27 AM
Some others:

Dragon Breed
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8076/dragonbreed089rl.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3258/dragonbreed057sk.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Drakken
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2670/drakkhen023bj.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7568/drakkhen038zn.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Gods
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/3189/gods143ix.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/2817/gods110bq.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Ivan Ironman Stewart's Super Off Road
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/8417/ivanironmanstewartssuperoffroa.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/8417/ivanironmanstewartssuperoffroa.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Kings Quest VI
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/1439/kingsquestvi073wj.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/9940/kingsquestvi091bt.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Police Quest: In Pursuit of the Death Angel
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1345/policequest027bw.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/2593/policequest045xz.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Daniel4802
10-03-2005, 04:07 AM
Finally the rest:

Turrican II: The Final Fight
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/6153/turricanii133pa.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/1079/turricanii141ag.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Rocket Ranger
http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/9320/rocketranger173lv.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/553/rocketranger150tt.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Wings
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5074/wings081lr.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4100/wings151no.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Alucard
10-03-2005, 04:38 AM
Somebody hijacked my thread!! I cant believe someone remembers LEander. That game was awesome. Wings was also brilliant. I remember all of those games. I need to make some Amiga only reviews now.

Joe Redifer
10-03-2005, 05:46 AM
I remember Dark Castle. Oh how I hated that game. I rented it when EA (it's in the game, by the way) brought it out for the 16-bit Sega? Genesis? Home Videogame Entertainment System, which at that time was available at a store near me. That game was so infuriating and inferior that I almost returned the game to the rental shop as a bunch of crushed crumbs of plastic. Fortunately I was able to glue it back together and it still worked fine. Never before had a game pissed me off so much. Obviously the programmers knew nothing about something called "control". The programmers had obviously never played any other game available for the 16-bit Sega? Genesis? Home Videogame Entertainment System. I wrote EA and told them how awful their game was. They actually replied, saying that they were sorry I did not like Dark Castle and that the problem was because Macs suck ass.

So I bought a Mac and here I am today!

Dracula
02-22-2006, 12:22 PM
You need to review this game:

http://blitz.planetflibble.com/screens/new1.jpg

Nephlabobo
02-22-2006, 12:26 PM
I loved that game!

Dracula
02-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Enjoy

http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=markrosten08232001081754&comments=yes

Alucard
02-24-2006, 06:25 PM
I need to make new reviews, been thinking about it for some time. Best part of that Bruce Lee game is when the Sumo appears ont he top platform, stands there doing nothing, and opens his mouth widely twice in the most retarded way and then goes you. Would crack me up everytime.

Dracula
02-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Have the review up by Sunday, or there will be no allowance next weekend!

I just played the game for a few minutes, and remembered how awesome it was back in the days. Of course it doesn't feel the same now, but then again, when you get something for free, it rarely does.

Alucard
02-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Nah they always do. Its just a really old and simple game.

welshfreak
02-25-2006, 06:51 AM
I'm too young to remember, but one of my friends had an old atari system ages ago and he had a game called 'Mission Elevator'? Anyone remeber that, I have fuzzy memories of it from days long gone by....

Edit: actually I found an old screenshot...

http://www.gametronik.com/site/rubriques/atari_st/Jeux/Elevator%20Mission/elvator%20mission.png

Alucard
02-25-2006, 07:25 AM
Looks like a mutant crossbreed of Impossible Mission.

Icarus4578
02-25-2006, 09:35 AM
Hmmm....if I remember correctly, that sounds like the intro to Dark Castle. It started out on the Mac and was then ported over to the C-64, Amiga and Atari ST.
http://www.maclovers.com/antiquariato/media/darkcastle.jpg

At the begining, you descend down into the first part of the castle on a rope and the game kinda has Castlevania platformer type gameplay. Am I right?

You may be! I'll go check it out. Thanks a bunch. I'll send you a new mix CD soon, and I'll have it hand-delivered to you by Kasumi.

Icarus4578
02-25-2006, 09:37 AM
I need to make new reviews, been thinking about it for some time. Best part of that Bruce Lee game is when the Sumo appears ont he top platform, stands there doing nothing, and opens his mouth widely twice in the most retarded way and then goes you. Would crack me up everytime.

I wish I had that game. :crying:

Some of those Amiga games look mighty interesting. Leander, Dragon Breed, God, etc.

Dracula
02-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Just downloaded an Amiga emulator for PSP. There is some trouble with the sound and finding roms that works, but apart from that it works pretty good. But it is kind of slow, compared to the SNES and Genesis emulator I also have running on the PSP.

C64_UK-PAUL
01-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Hi there everybody.
I'm new to this site, and i really need the help of somebody who knows about C64 games.
Im starting to go mad, cos its all i can think about sometimes.

I am looking for info on a game I used to play some 15+ years ago, but unfortunately i can't remember the name of it, or which games company released it.

I can best describe it as been a game where as an adventurer the player had to make their way through numerous levels/worlds avoiding all manner of baddies and nasties, and inparticular HELLHOLES!

The hellholes stick in my mind quite vividly as they were quite big sprites on the screen and somewhat colourful. they were red and yellow in colour and if you fell into one of these, the game was either over or you lost a life.

This game was a distraction for me when i was at school, I used to play it all the time, and had many hours of fun playing it.

PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN HELP IN MY QUEST TO FIND THIS GAME PLEASE GET IN TOUCH.

thanks C64_UK-PAUL.

email - chill567@hotmail.com
phartley@phartley.karoo.co.uk

murray
01-06-2007, 12:34 PM
a quick google search for "commodore 64 hellholes" comes up with Ninja Massacre...is that it?

C64_UK-PAUL
01-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Yes it is thanks, i din't think id ever find it tried alsorts of searches but not that 1.
i have an emulator for it, now i just need the game

Many thanks matey!!

C64_UK-PAUL.

SuperAngelo64
01-07-2007, 06:23 AM
I didn't even know this thread existed.

Alucard you damn geezer.

Don't you torture the kids who throw baseballs into your shack enough with your 'tales of olde'?

Shit, they just wanted some Nestle Quik.

Vegetto
12-25-2007, 12:27 AM
<AluTard> nooooooooooooo all my screens are broken!!!!!!

Escaflowne2001
12-25-2007, 01:34 AM
Yes it is thanks, i din't think id ever find it tried alsorts of searches but not that 1.
i have an emulator for it, now i just need the game

Many thanks matey!!

C64_UK-PAUL.

There's a site called Underground Gamer if you don't mind torrents, I'm currently halfway through downloading every commodore64 game on one zip file. 902,000+ files, lol. :lol:

I've already downloaded collections for the Snes, Nes, Turbografx16, Genesis, Gameboy/Color and Master System.

Paper exe
12-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Most of the pictures on the review disappeared! :(

Finally, I will know some stuff about C64 and Amiga games.

Note-Before any misunderstanding happened, C64 and Amiga, either did not release in my country or I was not born when any one of them released, so it is not my fault.
OMG! I was soo cute! <3

Alucard
12-25-2007, 11:55 PM
You're always cute paper! <3

Zack
12-27-2007, 01:16 AM
you should do a the movie monster review.

Alucard
12-27-2007, 04:15 AM
Movie Monster review

9/10 Brilliant. Go play it.

http://www.lemon64.com/games/screenshots/full/movie_monster_game_01.gif

http://www.lemon64.com/games/screenshots/full/movie_monster_game_02.gif

http://www.lemon64.com/games/screenshots/full/movie_monster_game_04.gif

Link to rom

http://www.c64.com/?type=1&id=1588

Link to another review incase mine isnt good enough for you slugs

http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/reviews/view.php%3Fid%3D159

Icarus4578
12-27-2007, 06:50 AM
I have nothing constructive to say.
http://www.corrupt.net/~paul/CoH/Retired/RedX.jpg

Alucard
12-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Fucking red X's are my bane.

Icarus4578
12-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Tell it to the red x man.
http://www.corrupt.net/~paul/CoH/Retired/RedX.jpg

Havoc2049
01-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Was playing some Bruce Lee and Beach-Head last night. Woot! It was on an Atari 65XE, but still pretty much the same, but quicker loading times than the C64.:P

My copy of Bruce Lee has the C64 version on one side and the Atari 400/800/XL/XE(ya atari went overboard on the different models) version on the flip side.

Havoc2049
03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Double Post.....1+ year later!

Wow, get out there and get your 8/16-bit computer game grove on, people!

I was just playing Hostages the other day. Great game. Hostages was killing terrorists before Rainbow Six made it cool.

Alucard
03-30-2009, 06:44 PM
GOOD LORD! Now I might have to make more reviews. I wonder if my pics in the previous reviews are still there loollolool

NOPE! Some are not there. But they're pretty easy to find anyway. I've already put links where you can get the roms and they have pics there and multiple reviews from people. All of them are BESTEST games anyway so just go play them. Fuck, use your psp or DS with the emulators. That'll make you enjoy it more.

Yoshi Girl
03-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Ummm.. Can someone teach me the DS emulator thing? I need learns.

Einhander
03-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Actually - I could use a C64 emulator lesson Alucard....please!

Alucard
03-30-2009, 09:49 PM
hmm...looks like theres only 1 emulator for the DS and some games dont run super smooth. So you need to frameskip with some. Annoying... Still, sounds like it runs alot just fine. Looks like all you need is an SD card to load it on.

Instructions

Copy your c64 diskimages (.D64) to a folder called /rd on the root of your flashcard. Startup the emulator and it will allow you to select the d64 disk to mount on drive 8. Press the right trigger to automatically type LOAD"*",8,1 and then RUN.

During gameplay the dpad and a and b buttons are used for your joystick. Press select to switch between the joystick ports 1 or 2.

dpad directions up,down,left,right
a button joystick firebutton
b button space key

More instructions here and also the download link.

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/Frodoc64.shtml

As far as pc emulators go, those are beyond easy to use. You have to be killzone2 gamer to not be able to figure it out.

eastx
04-02-2009, 09:02 PM
I remember how C64 used to change the music of their arcade translations. Not sure why, but Space Harrier's music was completely redone as well as many other arcade games. The new Ron Hubbard music ended up being pretty good, but the whole scenario is puzzling nonetheless.

Yeah, Bionic Commando got new music, as did many other games. Interesting observation.

I only owned a Commodore Vic 20, which was slightly better than an Atari 2600 for games (whereas the 64 was more like an Atari 7800).

Daniel4802
04-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm feeling pretty nostaligic. Unfortunately my oldest brother lives out of state and has the Amiga. It would be awesome to play Shadow of the Beast, Gods, Dragon Breed and Leander again. They were among my all time favorite side-scroolers ever.

Alucard
04-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Leander... thats the first time I've heard that name in a decade. You should download an emulator and go crazy.

Daniel4802
04-09-2009, 05:46 PM
These videos should bring back joy, Alucard.

6isyjVTQWUg

yD1RK9gOoms

_kO-KzJGHLI

4rvQzQL6kSo

UW4CDWyhxLw

Alucard
04-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Your Leander ones broken. Heres one that works loilololo. I loved the music

DRQgYAteWkA

There you go, mini review. Get Leander its awesome. How I miss you psygnosis... FUCK YOU SONY!

Daniel4802
04-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Yeah, and oddly enough the Turrican 2 one doesn't work now either, but I replaced it with another. Ahh, the memories. Turrican 2 > Metroid.

eastx
04-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Man that main sprite is ugly. But the colors and music are awesome, like many a Psygnosis game.

Shadow of the Beast was cool while it lasted, but you could beat the whole thing in like 20 minutes.

Vegetto
04-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Where the crap are the sound effects? sheesh

Alucard
04-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Its all about the music. One of the best platformers ever created. If you need sword clangclang noise to enjoy something then POO TO YOU!