PDA

View Full Version : New Square Enix RPG Code Age Commanders

Rubeus
03-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Besides Grandia 3, Square Enix also announced Code Age Commanders, a new action RPG taking the Dyansty Warriors approach.

Code Age Commanders is an action RPG for the Playstation 2 set in the Code Age world (a new Square Enix brand that will be used for games and various media like manga and anime) with battle scenes that resemble Dynasty Warriors and uses what is known as a "Ring Gauge System". (From GA-FORUM)

Abaddon
03-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Wierd way to go about things, they barely detail what Code age is, and now they're announcing games left and right for this franchise they don't even know if it will be successful... That's not like Square-Enix, they usually wait until a franchise sells well on its first title before they milk it to death...

DarknessTearv2
03-30-2005, 01:03 PM
You wouldn't like it anyway Carn. It's futuristic. And Code Age is supposed to be their new concept brand which is the successor to Final Fantasy supposedly.

Abaddon
03-30-2005, 01:15 PM
You wouldn't like it anyway Carn. It's futuristic. And Code Age is supposed to be their new concept brand which is the successor to Final Fantasy supposedly.

Ewww *puke*

Decado
03-30-2005, 02:13 PM
Sounds like they've gotten carried away with the success of Full Metal Alchemist. Unfortunately, FMA also shows us that S-E isn't beyond providing mediocre games to cash in on popular anime.

Nem
03-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Funny, i thought they already had Drakengard on that style.

Zod
03-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Besides Grandia 3, Square Enix also announced Code Age Commanders, a new action RPG taking the Dyansty Warriors approach.

(From GA-FORUM)

Sounds like a rip-off of Shadow Hearts with the ring system, set to a copy of Dynasty Warriors.

It also sounds like Square, once the mighty innovator, is truely dead. The last time they tried a DW clone (Drakengard) it sucked monkey balls. Whats with them and action RPG's? Did they forget what made them their fortunes?

DarknessTearv2
03-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Drakengard is still better than Dynasty Warriors.

Zod
03-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Not by a long shot.

Dullahan
03-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Wow...

There is hardly any info on this game and people are already calling it a ripoff, geez.

In anycase apparently this New series is very big with the Japanese community.

This what the "Major" announcement was really about. Grandia III was just the a side announcement.

Rubeus
03-30-2005, 08:01 PM
.... based on the fact that every Dynasty Warriors game sells at least 1 million copies in Japan, comparing to 200,000 to 400,000 copies for every Grandia game?

Reko8
03-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Drakengard is still better than Dynasty Warriors.

Too bad Drakengard isnt good

DarknessTearv2
03-30-2005, 10:05 PM
That was my point.

[M]egaman Ver.6
03-31-2005, 12:09 AM
Too bad Drakengard isnt good

Better than DW3-4 :)

Sony Fanboy
03-31-2005, 03:56 AM
Wish Drakengard had an option to just watch all the scenes. i gave up about halfway through.

Anyway, what's Drakengard got anything to do with this CodeAge - the development team is completely different.

Pilotwings
03-31-2005, 10:07 AM
there are scans around the gaming age board and this game is one ugly bastard child.

Nephlabobo
03-31-2005, 10:21 AM
Who cares about this?

GRANDIA 3!

:spinface: :spinface: :spinface: :spinface: :spinface:

DarknessTearv2
03-31-2005, 08:23 PM
http://img20.exs.cx/gal.php?g=code55yz.jpg&cols=5 Scans

Abaddon
03-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Thank you Square-enix! This game looks so horrible I won't even think twice about it! :thumb-up: :thumb-up:

DarknessTearv2
03-31-2005, 08:51 PM
:o So you think. It looks great to me, my channel agrees with me too. Plus it's going to own your beloved DW most likely. :evilsmile

Abaddon
03-31-2005, 08:59 PM
:o So you think. It looks great to me, my channel agrees with me too. Plus it's going to own your beloved DW most likely. :evilsmile

Ha you wish! this is going to be a Square-Enix rpg so its probably going to be full of emo garbage and CG to compensate for gameplay :thumb-dn: :thumb-dn:

Boo to you and your futuristic crap! :thumb-dn:

DarknessTearv2
03-31-2005, 09:00 PM
Pff how do you know it's futuristic? Maybe they're cosplaying!

Abaddon
03-31-2005, 09:02 PM
Pff how do you know it's futuristic? Maybe they're cosplaying!

I trust your judgement you anal lint

DarknessTearv2
03-31-2005, 09:03 PM
Futuristic = not fact yet.

Abaddon
03-31-2005, 09:04 PM
Futuristic = not fact yet.

Me = don't give a f-ck. :thumb-up:

DarknessTearv2
03-31-2005, 09:05 PM
Me = don't give a f-ck. :thumb-up:

I kinda pity you though because you're so limited to what you can play because you hate all futuristic games. Me, I get tons of games to play. :lol:

Abaddon
03-31-2005, 09:11 PM
I kinda pity you though because you're so limited to what you can play because you hate all futuristic games. Me, I get tons of games to play. :lol:

Yeah but your tastes suck whale cock, so I pity you more! :too mad:

edit// you like xenosaga! NUFF SAID! :lol: :lol: :too mad: :lol:

DarknessTearv2
03-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Yeah but your tastes suck whale cock, so I pity you more! :too mad:

:lol: Okay.

[M]egaman Ver.6
03-31-2005, 11:05 PM
Looks like the are using the KH2 graphics engine with Code Age. Not a bad decision because KH2 and this game look phenominal... I can't wait for more info.

Square finally putting out something NEW :yikes:

Dullahan
04-01-2005, 04:06 AM
Some very interesting story details:

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q1-2005/033105a.html

Along with yesterday's announcement of Grandia III, Square Enix also revealed a title named Code Age Commanders; a new game in the Code Age anime, manga, and game franchise for the PlayStation 2. Specifically, this revelation was disclosed within the pages of the April edition of Famitsu, which RPGamer has acquired scans of and has subsequently translated. While gameplay details pertaining to the game were slim to none, a bevy of story information was to be mined from those pages.

The story of Code Age Commanders is set in a Dyson Sphere; a hollow world with people living on the inside. The middle of the sphere is home to the "Central Code." Every ten thousand years, the Central Code goes through a transformation, which results in the total destruction of the Dyson Sphere, followed by its rebirth. Of course, this outcome is less than desirable to the people living within the Dyson Sphere. Thus, they tried to escape by creating a gigantic station around the Central Code itself. As things usually do, things went somewhat amiss, and the station finds itself sunken to the surface along with its passengers.

Jean, one of the passengers of the station, fills the main character role in Code Age Commanders. Dropped into a world which he no longer recognizes, he sets off to find his sister Alize, another passenger from the station. Alize had been with him when the station "sank," but was soon kidnapped by a strange creature.

Thanks to the Central Code's impending transformation, the world has found itself heavily populated by strange and warped creatures. One species, called "Othelos," seek out and possess humans, turning them into what are called the "Coded." Completely stripped of free will, Coded humans become nothing more than extensions of a hive mind. On rare occasions however, humans won't turn into Coded, and instead mutate into "Warheads," who are Half-way between human and Coded and can still act on their own free will. Warheads have bodies that have evolved to the extreme, and certain actions lead to permanent abilities.

Jean finds himself becoming a Warhead, and gets caught in the middle of an Othello battle soon after setting out in search of his sister. At first glance, his body doesn't seem that much different from ordinary humans, but when a battle occurs his whole arm transforms into a weapon. As Jean levels up, this weapon levels up with him, becoming better and more versatile.

It seems as if it doesn't take long before Jean gains a few allies, but no details concerning other playable characters have been released as of yet. The battle system is also shrouded in mystery, with the only thing being known is that it will employ a "Ring Gauge System," which looks to involve a ring gauge that appears around the character. Furthermore, there will be differences between night and day in the game, though more details concerning this is also unknown.

Toshiyuki Itahara, who worked on such titles as Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles will filling the role of director of Code Age Commanders, while Akitoshi Kawazu and Yusuke Naora will act as executive producer and concept designer respectively.

Currently, Code Age Commanders is 50% complete and has yet to receive a Japanese release date. The prospect of a North American localization is equally unknown.