PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 2 Greatest Hits: Updated!

Overlord
09-11-2002, 09:06 PM
IGN:
September 10, 2002 - In the summer 2002, Sony Computer Entertainment America announced the commencement of its PlayStation 2-based Greatest Hits series. Recently, numerous publishers have added games to the list, including Namco, Capcom and SCEA.

PS2 Greatest Hits games are those that sell more than 400,000 units; once they become considered a Greatest Hit, they can sell for either $29.99 or $19.99, and the box art changes (with a red bar at top and a small half oval) to indicate the change.

The line of high-volume selling games originally started on PlayStation with games such as Ridge Racer, Ace Combat, Tekken 2, Battle Arena Toshinden, and continued on to become a much-loved series. (Although admittedly, no dedicated gamer likes to have a green label game seen on his or her game shelf.)

The current list of Greatest Hits Games has recently and quietly grown from about six or seven games to 15 total. They are:

ATV Off-Road Fury (Sony Computer Entertainment America)
Dark Cloud (SCEA)
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (SCEA)
Twisted Metal: Black (SCEA)
Hot Shots Golf 3 (SCEA)
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (SCEA)
Red Faction (THQ)
Crazy Taxi (Acclaim/Sega)
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 (Acclaim)
Midnight Club: Street Racing (Rockstar Games)
Smuggler's Run (Rockstar Games)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (Activision)
Devil May Cry (Capcom)
Onimusha: Warlords (Capcom)
Resident Evil - Code: Veronica X (Capcom)
Star Wars: Starfighter (LucasArts)
Tekken Tag Tournament (Namco)
NBA Street (Electronic Arts)
SSX (Electronic Arts)
Spy Hunter (Midway)

We'll have constant updates to this feature in the future, as we're sure more games will be added to it.

Your Thoughts?

ATMA
09-11-2002, 09:10 PM
What a nice way to boost sales!
go ps2 !!:cool guy:

Overlord
09-11-2002, 09:20 PM
Also, GTAIII and FFX are already qualified to go on Greatest Hits. FFX will probably go on it when KH comes out, and GTAIII when VC comes. This is a great place for new PS2 owners to start from. Same thing with MGS2: Sol. Not sure when this one will go on GH though.

Cloud 9
09-11-2002, 11:40 PM
When do you think Medal of Honor: Frontline will be in the GH. I'm going to be pissed if that game doesn't make it.

Overlord
09-11-2002, 11:42 PM
That games still a little young. It has to be 9 months old first. And I'm pretty sure it already hit 400K, or will soon if it hasn't already.

Mikeru83
09-12-2002, 12:30 AM
Anyone have any idea if Ace Combat 4 will be on the GH list? The game should have qualified by now.

Healin
09-12-2002, 01:34 AM
I think it is more or less dependant on the sales of a game. If a game keeps selling, they'll probably delay a release as Greatest Hits. Probably it will be released when the sales are more or less stagnant. Its actually good strategy as a GH release will then help boost sales again. I never boughty GT2 and TM Black when they were 1st launched cuz they are not really my kind of games. BUT when I saw them released as GH, I just could not resist buying them (cuz they have great reviews).

Vicviper
09-12-2002, 06:16 PM
Yeah I can now buy Jak & Daxter. I wouldn't have paid full price for this game but now that it's $19 I will buy it for sure!

Kid0_oIcarus
09-13-2002, 09:00 AM
I played that- it was okay.

Mikeru83
09-14-2002, 02:28 AM
Jak and Daxter was good, in my opinion. I thought JandD was better than Maximo. *shrug* Take that comment how you want.

Ace Combat 4 is still selling? What the heck? Geez...

Another game I'd like to see on GH is Klonoa 2.

Go NAMCO!

aneep
09-14-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Overlord
That games still a little young. It has to be 9 months old first. And I'm pretty sure it already hit 400K, or will soon if it hasn't already.

MOH Frontline PS2 already hit 1 million in July

its still selling good though, so might be a long way from GH

-aneep-

Overlord
09-15-2002, 05:31 PM
-Note: Greatest Hits games are only $15 at Circuit City this week!

Cobi*
09-15-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Overlord
-Note: Greatest Hits games are only $15 at Circuit City this week!

really? i've been looking for a way to blow $100, brb!:big smile

Darren
09-15-2002, 08:55 PM
so glad Jak and Daxter and Tony Hawks pro skater 3 are greatest hits. :D