PDA

View Full Version : US PSP problems already arise....

manicdvln
03-24-2005, 12:25 PM
- UMD motor makes too much noise. (problem by design)
- Dead pixels (Not covered by warranty)
- USB connection not being detected by OS (not covered by warranty)
- Wifi gaming connection problems (not covered by warranty)
- Screen relfects too much under light (problem by design)
- PSP smudges too easily (problem by design)
- UMD drive latch being loose (problem by design)
- Bubbles on screen (defect)
- Dust/white powder under the screen (defect)
- Lower quality screen, samsung used instead of sharp. (Sony decision)
- Broken Analog nub (defect)

Paper exe
03-24-2005, 12:34 PM
and all that for only $250.

welshfreak
03-24-2005, 12:39 PM
It's a bargain! :bigsmile:

Zod
03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
It's a bargain! :bigsmile:

For an extra $50, they'll sell you one with twice as many dead pixels and the ability to launch games out twice as far when you twist it.

There are mindless sheep in line buying it up today by the hundreds of thousand, dispite the many problems. This is why Sony pulls this crap; because they know they can get away with it.

spider-prime
03-24-2005, 01:21 PM
this is why I didn't preorder one, glad I didn't but if I did, I would have just sold it on ebay hehe

DBJAY
03-24-2005, 01:24 PM
- UMD motor makes too much noise. (problem by design)
- Dead pixels (Not covered by warranty)
- USB connection not being detected by OS (not covered by warranty)
- Wifi gaming connection problems (not covered by warranty)
- Screen relfects too much under light (problem by design)
- PSP smudges too easily (problem by design)
- UMD drive latch being loose (problem by design)
- Bubbles on screen (defect)
- Dust/white powder under the screen (defect)
- Lower quality screen, samsung used instead of sharp. (Sony decision)
- Broken Analog nub (defect)

Now if only the media would report that, we might have a chance of Sony revamping the unit to be higher quality. If no one complains and sales stay high, they will not feel the need to change.

Keimar
03-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Now if only the media would report that, we might have a chance of Sony revamping the unit to be higher quality. If no one complains and sales stay high, they will not feel the need to change.

The 1st to notice is usually the retail chains - the amount of returned units. But that only when the defects are significant. They can't really rely on internet reports.

burpingcat
03-24-2005, 06:08 PM
I personally don't think it's quite worth $250, but the PSP blows the DS away, even with defects.

spider-prime
03-24-2005, 06:15 PM
I personally don't think it's quite worth $250, but the PSP blows the DS away, even with defects.

main problem with that is, how does it blow it away, has we know the games are still better on the DS :)

hardware has been proven that it doesn't matter how powerful a system is, it doesn't need it to sell

ie PS2 is the weakest out of all the systems, sells the best

Master system had better graphics then NES, NES sold better

same with PS1 and N64

games sell the system, not the hardware

Reality
03-24-2005, 06:32 PM
All in all fairness though I'd love for the DS to be as power for the price it already sales for. (Which I think is about $25 to much. :P )

spider-prime
03-24-2005, 06:55 PM
if the DS didn't use 2 screens, it probably would have been cheaper, mostly cause the 2 screens need 2 processors

if it was just one screen with a touch screen, it probably would have been under a 100 dollars maybe tho

Zod
03-24-2005, 07:23 PM
if the DS didn't use 2 screens, it probably would have been cheaper, mostly cause the 2 screens need 2 processors

if it was just one screen with a touch screen, it probably would have been under a 100 dollars maybe tho

I'd rather have one larger one because the second screen is just a gimmick.

[M]egaman Ver.6
03-24-2005, 07:30 PM
No problems with min, I love it :spinface:

Kwestone
03-24-2005, 09:26 PM
are there any with the better quality sharp screen?

spider-prime
03-24-2005, 09:28 PM
probably japanese PSP

FinalSolace2
03-24-2005, 10:15 PM
man ive heard alot of bad things about the luanch already, many many stores stocked up with like 200 or so psp, barly sold 20 yet.

also many rural america citys have only sold 3-4 psp's per store as of today

plus most people have pixel problems, dust under the screen, screen scratches deep and hairline, plus slightly damaged umd lids.

plus a few bundels have been missing the spiderman umd

about from what i'm hearing a 5th of psp's have been returned for replacements, so i guess sony is really selling 800,000 units rather than 1 million.

more than half have complained of pixel problems some bad and some not so bad.

these things have definately not been selling like hot cakes like sony were presuming will happen- is this a sign of things to come?

plus do people really want RR and wipeout pure- these are already ps2 franchises- and at $50 to boot (UK- $80-93)

plus this handheld has been marketed to adults, a market that has been predominatly been for kids. will parens dosh out their cash to kids already demanding ps2 and games???

50 dollars for a handheld game is a utter total rip off, daylight robbery if you ask me,

if games are ?/E 50 in europe then we can expect poor sales:

psp is a bomb- people do theyre research before they buy an expensive piece of kit (making sure of the mp3/video accessability, simplicity, extra cost, making sence of the jargon)

Friday, March 25, 2005

50 US Dollar = 26.74655 British Pound
50 British Pound (GBP) = 93.47000 US Dollar (USD)

so we will be paying 93 dollars for games maybe knocking off 10 dollars for the difference in street value!!

for people saying sales will pick up as the year progresses- i dont ever seeing sony getting nearly the sales they require.

last year christmas season in the UK was extreamly poor- people are sick of hype and dishing out cash for things that get broken/stolen/not used/too expensive. plus the pixel issues, lack of online, and the fact the screen is definately gonna get scratched (unless your anal about those things) coupled with crappy movies, a cheaper rival handheld, shortish battery and so forth....... not worth my money.

i'm not having a go at fanboys, if it works for you then be happy. but poor sales means the wi fi functionality is worthless (especially in rural america where each store only got an average of 2-3 sales on first day), plus you can buy a ps2 with new great games for cheaper than a psp with far more attractive games. its got everything bad going for it.

if it were a handheld ps2 that can take dvds for a cheap price that could hook up to your tv - then maybe it would have been an interesting and worthy option.

naruto_sensei
03-24-2005, 10:57 PM
there's wipeout on PS2???

FinalSolace2
03-24-2005, 11:08 PM

yes... isnt there... im sure there is!!.. id be surprised if not... and if not the wipeout gameplay has never changed and better graphics doesn't make a game like this better when your travelling a million miles an hour watching a grav track.

man i wish they stopped making wipeout after the third installment- it had its day.

f- zero> wipe out

oh and there was a wipeout released right at the beginning of the ps2 release.

manicdvln
03-24-2005, 11:28 PM

Wipeout Fusion

Akabei
03-24-2005, 11:32 PM
are there any with the better quality sharp screen?

Until I see one taken apart with a Samsung screen in it, I'm calling bull**** on this rumor. It is true that Sony has a joint venture with Samsung to produce LCDs in Korea, but as far as I know that plant is not yet in production of anything other than test samples.

Dr. Bombay
03-24-2005, 11:49 PM
I'd rather have one larger one because the second screen is just a gimmick.

Hey, gimmick or not, it's still half the price of a PSP.

PSP doesn't even have the gimmick and it's ludicriously overpriced.

Akabei
03-24-2005, 11:54 PM
PSP doesn't even have the gimmick and it's ludicriously overpriced.

Are you serious?

Going on technology alone the PSP is underpriced. Regardless of if you think it sucks in its' intended use or not, there is really no question that it costs Sony more to produce than what they are charging for it. The DS on the other hand is about $25-50 cheaper to produce than its' selling price.

spider-prime
03-25-2005, 12:24 AM
has technogly progress it cheapens, so production for both systems will be cheaper every day basically

ovejon
03-25-2005, 02:18 AM
Are you serious?

Going on technology alone the PSP is underpriced. Regardless of if you think it sucks in its' intended use or not, there is really no question that it costs Sony more to produce than what they are charging for it. The DS on the other hand is about $25-50 cheaper to produce than its' selling price.

Man it's overpriced when you can get a home console for less than that. I personally don't like to pay more for a handheld than a console and I'm pretty sure there are others who agree with me.

[M]egaman Ver.6
03-25-2005, 02:27 AM
Man it's overpriced when you can get a home console for less than that. I personally don't like to pay more for a handheld than a console and I'm pretty sure there are others who agree with me.

DS is the same thing, it's more expensive than a GC and the same price as a PS2 and Xbox.

ovejon
03-25-2005, 02:42 AM
egaman Ver.6']DS is the same thing, it's more expensive than a GC and the same price as a PS2 and Xbox.

It's $100 cheaper than the psp and I found that price a lot more comfortable to pay. plus DS games are cheaper than psp games. Truth is, I bought the ds so that I can play gba games on it (Flash Rom cart is fawking awesome :D ). I hardly earn enough money to pay for gas, food and bills so that $100 extra dollars could make a difference. I'll just wait till the price drops and they fix a few things on it.

SpaceManSpiff
03-25-2005, 03:36 AM
The PSP is only $100 more for the first 1 million value packs, 1 or 2 months down the road when the 2nd shipment comes in, it will retail for $180, possibly $150 since thats what someone high up that I know from shopko says.

And here in my town, there were no lines anywhere. I dont know how much any of the other stores sold, but I got mine at shopko and found out earlier tonight that they only sold 2 of 30 psp's. One to me, and one to an employee there....

[M]egaman Ver.6
03-25-2005, 03:43 AM
It's $100 cheaper than the psp and I found that price a lot more comfortable to pay. plus DS games are cheaper than psp games. Truth is, I bought the ds so that I can play gba games on it (Flash Rom cart is fawking awesome :D ). I hardly earn enough money to pay for gas, food and bills so that $100 extra dollars could make a difference. I'll just wait till the price drops and they fix a few things on it.

For the price DS was worth picking up or so I thought because the games are lacking. Yes the games are cheaper but 2/3 of them aren't worth playing anyway. Excuse me if I don't like to make Yoshi spit out things he's swallowed or make a pink gay ball of marshmellow roll around like's in a jail cell with men.

The 100 extra I payed for my PSP was well worth it. Maybe it's the fact that I get a discount on games and free games from Activision and EA, who knows but I'm still extremely satisfied with my purchase.

And I totally understand how it is to lack the money to get it, bills are a bitch...then again thats what my parent say cause I don't pay them.

:cool guy:

ovejon
03-25-2005, 03:56 AM
You're right, there are no games worth playing for the ds. But in my case, it was either buy the gba sp or the ds for my flash rom cart. I went for the ds and i'm more than happy with it (killed to birds with one shot, I was going to get the ds sooner or later). Somehow games look better in the ds and the sound is also good. Anyway, I'm patient and I can wait for games. I can also wait for a price to drop on the psp. Btw Spiff, I highly doubt Sony will sell the psp for less than what it's worth at this moment. I mean it's not practicle to do so and it would hurt Sony more than help them. Maybe by the end of this year we'll see a price drop. But I doubt it will happen in the coming months. If it does, better for me :D

Akabei
03-25-2005, 04:19 AM

As [M]egaman Ver.6 says the sames goes for the DS, and it doesn't make much sense to compare consoles that are in the end of their lifespans to a next gen handheld. The PSP will be less than 2 out of 3 (maybe 3 of 3) of the next gen consoles.

It's $100 cheaper than the psp and I found that price a lot more comfortable to pay. [snip] I hardly earn enough money to pay for gas, food and bills so that $100 extra dollars could make a difference. I'll just wait till the price drops and they fix a few things on it.

So it is overpriced because it is more than you can afford? Sorry but that isn't overpriced, it is out of your price range. There is a difference. Overpriced implys you are paying more than it is worth, which certainly isn't the case with the PSP.

1 or 2 months down the road when the 2nd shipment comes in, it will retail for $180, possibly $150 since thats what someone high up that I know from shopko says.
Btw Spiff, I highly doubt Sony will sell the psp for less than what it's worth at this moment.

There is a good chance we might see the non-value pack here in the US, which should go for under $200. Maybe that is what what they were talking about. But I don't see Sony taking a bigger loss on the hardware than what they are currently taking (Sony needs the PSP to be cash additive ASAP). So no value pack for less than $250.

[M]egaman Ver.6
03-25-2005, 04:28 AM
I bet at the end of the year we will see the bare bones PSP package make be released with just the PSP, Battery, and AC Adapter for $150-$199.

Akabei
03-25-2005, 04:43 AM
egaman Ver.6']I bet at the end of the year we will see the bare bones PSP package make be released with just the PSP, Battery, and AC Adapter for $150-$199.

I just hope that Sony offers the colored PSPs as stand alone and not value packs.

SpaceManSpiff
03-25-2005, 05:13 AM
I was talking about the barebones psp. I bet we will get them here as soon as the next shipment of psp's is ready.

I just hope that Sony offers the colored PSPs as stand alone and not value packs.-Akabei

That reminds me, I saw this custom made aluminum casing on ebay that fit snuggly on the psp, it looked really cool and sold for like $35, Ill have to check and see if there is anything else like that so I dont have to keep cleaning mine...

FinalSolace2
03-25-2005, 08:19 AM
has technogly progress it cheapens, so production for both systems will be cheaper every day basically

if DS sells more units- yep, they'll as=lso drop at the same rate i predict.

also DS is selling twice as many screens as PSP, which will render good quality handheld screens cheap, and can be used in controllers, console displays- etc etc

Sony Fanboy
03-25-2005, 08:33 AM
also DS is selling twice as many screens as PSP, which will render good quality handheld screens cheap, and can be used in controllers, console displays- etc etc

A bit optimistic there - the DS screen is a too big for a controller and a bit small for console displays (more suited for camcorders).

Besides, when you consider that 700 million mobile phones were sold in 2004, most of which come with colour LCD screens, the influence of the DS on LCD manufacturing is negligable.

Zod
03-25-2005, 08:50 AM
I just hope that Sony offers the colored PSPs as stand alone and not value packs.

If they handle that like they handled the colored consoles, they'll hold them back forever, only to sell them as exclusives for a substantial mark-up.

ovejon
03-25-2005, 12:23 PM
As [M]egaman Ver.6 says the sames goes for the DS, and it doesn't make much sense to compare consoles that are in the end of their lifespans to a next gen handheld. The PSP will be less than 2 out of 3 (maybe 3 of 3) of the next gen consoles.

So it is overpriced because it is more than you can afford? Sorry but that isn't overpriced, it is out of your price range. There is a difference. Overpriced implys you are paying more than it is worth, which certainly isn't the case with the PSP.

There is a good chance we might see the non-value pack here in the US, which should go for under $200. Maybe that is what what they were talking about. But I don't see Sony taking a bigger loss on the hardware than what they are currently taking (Sony needs the PSP to be cash additive ASAP). So no value pack for less than $250.

It's true that console and handhelds cannot be compared with each other as they are two different things. As a matter of fact, its two different market as the handheld market is catered towards kids and it?s the parent who pays for it. Many people will rather pay $125 or $150 for a console than the psp that sells for $250. Think like someone who doesn't know a thing about video games (they are a mayority). That ps2 or xbox looks more attractive than the psp.

Sony say's it catered towards teenagers and adult and the price does look attractive for what it can do, but exactly how many people can afford it. You view it as being under priced because of its capabilities. I view it as overpriced because we're paying more that what were used to pay for a handheld. Maybe for next gen portable gaming system paying something over $250 is normal. But at this moment when Nintendo has released handheld system for under $150 many would say it's overpriced.

It takes extra money to sell both stand alone pack and value pack. Sony opted to sell the value pack in the US for some reason. So I don't see them bringing the stand alone pack anytime soon. Unless they think they can get more sales with it due to cheaper price ($190 - $200). I think they're better off selling the value pack so that they can offset their loss.

welshfreak
03-25-2005, 01:56 PM
How much are DS in the US? Over a $100? It's just that they are ?99 in Wales and the $ is really weak at the moment so us welsh are getting screwed!
(yeah, my 100th post)!!!

Dr. Bombay
03-25-2005, 05:47 PM
egaman Ver.6']I bet at the end of the year we will see the bare bones PSP package make be released with just the PSP, Battery, and AC Adapter for $150-$199.

And when that happens, the DS will be 99.

200 for a handheld is still too much.