PDA

View Full Version : Sony expects to sell 1.3 million units in the US in one day

littlewig
03-21-2005, 11:21 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/games/2005-03-16-playstation-portable-main_x.htm

So far, Sony has sold 1.3 million PSPs in Japan since the system launched Dec. 12, and the system remains in high demand. "We're looking to do those kinds of numbers on Day One (in North America)," says Sony's Jack Tretton

Why does Sony use shipped numbers has sales numbers?

Anyway, as far as I know, they aren't even shipping 1.3 million units for the US launch and add in the fact that it's impossible to sell that much in one day, Sony sure has their work cut out for them.

I think the best step they should have taken to achieve this unrealistic goal was to actually advertise. :annoyed:

The shape and form of the handheld world in the next few years depends on how well the PSP does this year, so it'll be interesting to see how well it starts off.

Joe Redifer
03-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Another step they could have taken would have been to make sure that there was at least one good game at launch. There are none. Unless you like EA games and stuff like that. Twisted Metal? That has never been good? WipeOut? It's British... Everyone hates England. The Sims? Brett Farve Hockey? Bleh! Where is Ridge Racer, the only game worth playing?

welshfreak
03-21-2005, 11:37 AM
"It's British... Everyone hates England." Britain is not only England, it is Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland, 4 different nations, get it right, whats wrong with the other 3??

DBJAY
03-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Why does Sony use shipped numbers has sales numbers?

Anyway, as far as I know, they aren't even shipping 1.3 million units for the US launch and add in the fact that it's impossible to sell that much in one day, Sony sure has their work cut out for them.

I think the best step they should have taken to achieve this unrealistic goal was to actually advertise. :annoyed:

The shape and form of the handheld world in the next few years depends on how well the PSP does this year, so it'll be interesting to see how well it starts off.

Easy, it's more impressive to give a shipped number vs. sell-through. Unfortunately, there's no independent source to go to for sell through info, even the NPD report excludes actual numbers from Wal-Mart I believe. Will Sony push through 1.3 million units in a day? Hard to say. The software line-up really isn't there yet, the price is high and many retailers are pushing bundles driving the price even higher (will people essentially pay nearly twice the cost of the PS2 just for portable?) , Nintendo has countered with a DS bundle (2 games inc. for $186) - so I would say it's not a lock for a complete inventory sell through in one day.

FinalSolace2
03-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Another step they could have taken would have been to make sure that there was at least one good game at launch. There are none. Unless you like EA games and stuff like that. Twisted Metal? That has never been good? WipeOut? It's British... Everyone hates England. The Sims? Brett Farve Hockey? Bleh! Where is Ridge Racer, the only game worth playing?

as far as i know every american woman ive come across like Englishmen- why is that??? maybe thats why americans hate us! we can pull all the hot american women.

they love it when i say i'm from basildon- the posh end.

by the way this is a joke, but a theory none the less.

littlewig
03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Nope, it's true, British guys do pull in American women when they visit. I have a friend who is studying abroad in London. During Christmas break, he came back with one of his friends he meet there. Man, the guy was getting crazy attention.

I couldn't say that the girls were of quality, but the fact he was British gave him the edge. :annoyed:

Reality
03-21-2005, 12:30 PM
In a single day huh? That's either being really confident or being really cocky. They'll have 4 days to till we find out.

TheHardware
03-21-2005, 01:04 PM
hey i like wipeout....im really good at it /sigh

sharky~
03-21-2005, 01:38 PM
"It's British... Everyone hates England." Britain is not only England, it is Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland, 4 different nations, get it right, whats wrong with the other 3??

Yeah, British IS just England, ..

UK as in the United Kingdom is England, N Irland, Scotland, Wales
And some surrounding Islands like ile of man
and the Channel Islands (where i live)

I'm comming too america too steal your girls ;p
Well I have one in mind anyway ;p

Reivenlocke
03-22-2005, 11:08 PM
It's British... Everyone hates England.

Great Britain = The Voltron of the modern world. :lol:

Dr. Bombay
03-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Great Britain = The Voltron of the modern world. :lol:

"Voltron?! YOU GOT SERVED!!!"

SavedFromSin
03-22-2005, 11:25 PM
1.2 million will break 3 months later.

Alucard
03-23-2005, 12:53 AM

Bastard, you beat me to it!

Reivenlocke
03-23-2005, 12:56 AM

I've had mine for four months...no problems yet. However, I don't treat my handhelds like teenagers do because if I f**k it up, I have to buy a replacement, not mom or dad.

TheHardware
03-23-2005, 05:48 AM
I've had mine for four months...no problems yet. However, I don't treat my handhelds like teenagers do because if I f**k it up, I have to buy a replacement, not mom or dad.

same...its not a flimsy piece of crap... a lot of you will be very surprised when u get to tinker around with it for some time.

Reko8
03-23-2005, 06:33 AM
i treat all my systems like my babies. Except for the ps2 i will blame my mom because she has dust flowing into it 24/7 and I am at a war trying to prevent this. I can only slow it down not completely stop it.

Alucard
03-23-2005, 07:28 AM
same...its not a flimsy piece of crap... a lot of you will be very surprised when u get to tinker around with it for some time.

Already messed with my friends one. Shoulder buttons and analogue stick all feel increadibly dodgy. And that screen...it just attracts scratches. He's got 2 layers of protection on that thing. I wont bother looking at it till they make it out of sturdier materials. Other then that I can play the games it gets on the ps2 anyway. At least 90% of them. Sadly only 10% of them seem of any interest.

Akabei
03-23-2005, 12:30 PM

Exactly.

Lol, it certainly is not impossible to sell 1.3 million PSPs in a single day, I would call it unlikely but not impossible. I wasn't aware Sony had upped the US launch inventory to 1.3 million, I thought it was still at 1 million?

Here is my prediction, Sony will have sold 99+% of the first shipment of PSPs (in otherwords 990,000+ PSPs out of the initial million) by COB on the 26th.

justin_credible
03-23-2005, 01:38 PM
We need to stand up and say NO! Sony it's just getting to that Nintendo confort level that they can sell their products at any price they feel like and us slaves will drool over it because it's got their label on it. (see N64 games $60US+) And bundle in a big load of other **** we don't want and make us feel like we have to buy it to get the system. I say enjoy your PS2 and Xbox, Gamecube and wait until next year as there are a ton of great games out there to enjoy right now like God of War which is coming out today as well. You don't have to have the newest thing the day it comes out all the time you're just getting ripped off! Unless you have money coming out your anus of course.

TheHardware
03-23-2005, 03:28 PM
We need to stand up and say NO!

Fight the power!!.....