PDA

View Full Version : Sony backing away from the PSP? (new info on Europe launch)

littlewig
03-14-2005, 08:03 PM
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7370

Euro PSP "at least a few months away" - Sony
Tom Bramwell 10:47 11/03/2005
Nintendo gets major head start in Europe.

Sony this week told its internal PlayStation Portable development teams that the handheld system is still "at least a few months away" from release in Europe.

According to a source close to the platform holder, teams were ushered into a meeting and given the news despite the fact that a number of the European launch games are now finished.

UK retail sources we spoke to have apparently been given no indication when the system will launch or how much it will cost, with many now privately predicting that it will be "June at the earliest" before European gamers can get their hands on it.

Sony's major competitor in the next-generation handheld stakes, the Nintendo DS, launches across Europe today priced GBP 99 with a roster of 16 launch titles, having launched in the US and Japan last year.

PlayStation Portable, meanwhile, is only available in Japan at the moment, with a US launch scheduled for 24th March with a price tag of $249.99.

Sony said it had no comment to make this morning.

Man, this is getting pathetic. I thought Sony was suppose to launch the PSP in europe by the end of March, now it's going to be atleast 2 months more.

It's pretty obvious Sony is trying to cut their loses quick with the PSP. It's unbelievable how ill prepared they were when planning the PSP. Along with the numerous design flaws, the PSP is overpriced in a number of ways. The development cost for games and Production costs to make the PSP have sky rocketed the prices. $250 for the handheld and $50 for the games is outrageous. It cost Sony so much money to make the handhelds that I have yet to see one damn commericial for the PSP, and it's suppose to launch in 10 days. It seems like they ran out of money for advertisment.

It seems like Sony's arrogance lead them to believe they could take over the market with their name alone, I'm glad their arrogance is bitting them in the ass.

With the DS already breaking launch records in the UK and Austrailia, and continuing to sell like hot cakes in both Japan and the US, it seems evident that Sony's PSP isn't going to last much longer if Sony continues down this road, especially if the GBE is on the horizon.

A handheld that should have easily beaten the crap out of the DS is now on the verge of becoming vaporware. Maybe next time Sony makes a handheld, they should actually make it cost effective for both them and the gamers, that way they can actually afford to make it, and we can actually afford to buy it. Sony's needs to get that act together in the coming years, or they'll be thrown out of the console race too.

Escaflowne2001
03-15-2005, 05:50 AM
meh! wasnt' it because they couldn't make enough PSP's that's why the Europe release was delayed. Isn't the PSP outselling the DS in Japan now (i'm sure it was couldn't find the thread though), isn't Tales Of Eternia the second highest handheld title at the moment?

Paper exe
03-15-2005, 08:29 AM
in just this year,because PSP released in the end of the year and only with few numbers but in 2005 they released alot of PSP so the people that did not get the chance to buy one bought it in this year but NDS released in japan in the bigenning of december so every one who want it,bought it and PSP did not outsell NDS that much and PSP games did not sell very good because alot of user use it not only for games but to do other things like putting music in the memory card and the likes and about Tales Of Eternia it is not a any game you know japanes love TO games and they do sell very good in japan and on top of all that it is a new game and did only sell about 80,650 that about as much as anothercode sells in the first weak(I am not sure about this because I cannot remember 100% the sells of the first weak or even the first day :o )
Note: PSP outsold NDS in this year with about 110,000.

PS:don't get me wrong I realy want PSP but the problems is that it cost 250$ in US then how much it will cost here?
for those who don't
I will teach you how the price of the consoles works here
original priceX2+added 25% of the original price then you will get the price of the console. :too mad:
let see how much PSP will cost here
250X2+60=560$ :thumbdn:
and the second problem is that the hardwear is very easy to break and the square button problem.
if Sony fixed that then I will buy it when it released but now I have to go to Dubai and wait longer so that they(Sony) make a stronger and better hardwear.
about the games I don't have Tales Of Eternia and I love card games and I don't have any problems with puzzles games so to me there is 3 games that I want for PSP.

Alucard
03-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Swear to god, I can only get 2 lines into your speech before my brain starts to hurt. I know english isnt your first language, but it shouldnt be too tricky to use something that helps you, like say MS Word to help your grammar and stuff.

I remember hearing the PSP is outselling the DS in japan. Frankly I hope everyone who bought the PSP suffer a nervous breakdown when the flimsy thing explodes mid gaming.

Jet Set UNITED
03-15-2005, 12:06 PM
I actually dont see this as a problem. In the UK we are pretty used to consoles launching later than in other territories (1 year for the Dreamcast). In some ways this is a very good thing. A properly prepared and executed launch for us europeans from sony would be a nice thing.

On the other topic of the DS launch in the UK, if the GC and GBA are anything to go by (they were both record breaking consoles, GC sold more units in the first week that the PS2 did on its launch in the UK) then absolutly no assumptions of success can be drawn from a launch.

In Japan at least I can see these 2 consoles co-inhabiting quite well, when the dust settles many will see that it is impossible for them to be in direct competition. They are easily the most different of consoles sharing a generation.

...altho that all opinion.

Zod
03-15-2005, 12:16 PM
It's not comforting to see another division of Sony that f*cks it's customers just a little more tha SCEA does.

I guess all the new people they brought in aren't gonna fix Sony's problems of being too slow with releases.

Akabei
03-15-2005, 03:04 PM
It's pretty obvious Sony is trying to cut their loses quick with the PSP.

Aren't you jumping the gun with that one? Sony did/is having a bunch of troubles with being able to produce enough PSPs to meet what was a poorly thought out launch schedule.

The development cost for games and Production costs to make the PSP have sky rocketed the prices. $250 for the handheld and $50 for the games is outrageous.

The PSP is cheap at $200 (I don't care about the $50 in "vlaue" in the value pack). As I said before the only reason people think it is expensive is because they are thinking of the PSP in terms of "GameBoy" pricing. If you compare the PSP to other mid to high end electronic gadgets it is right in line in terms of pricing.

It cost Sony so much money to make the handhelds that I have yet to see one damn commericial for the PSP, and it's suppose to launch in 10 days. It seems like they ran out of money for advertisment.

It seems like Sony's arrogance lead them to believe they could take over the market with their name alone, I'm glad their arrogance is bitting them in the ass.

What are you going to say when the US launch PSPs sell out by Sunday? There is more than enough buzz on the internnet to assure Sony of at least 1 million sales , why spend money on advertising when you can generate that amount of sales volume for free? If you are so happy to see Sonys' arrogance biting them in the ass, why would you be complaining about the lack of commercials? Shouldn't you be happy that they are being "low key" about the whole thing? Your logic escapes me.

With the DS already breaking launch records in the UK and Austrailia, and continuing to sell like hot cakes in both Japan and the US, it seems evident that Sony's PSP isn't going to last much longer if Sony continues down this road, especially if the GBE is on the horizon.

Actually the DS is losing sales week to week in Japan, hardly what I would consider a hotcake like sales trend. A quick look at the latest numbers would show you that the PSP out sold the DS nearly two to one. Seeing as we have no way of knowing what the sales trends will look like in other markets it is pretty foolish to try to extrapolate sales trends based on Japanese data alone.

A handheld that should have easily beaten the crap out of the DS is now on the verge of becoming vaporware.

:crazy: that is just crazy talk. Your trying to judge a marathon on who got the best start. It might make you happy to believe the PSP will fail but we are a long way from knowing what the outcome of this is going to be. Funny the PSP sitting on my desk right now is a lot firmer than what you would think of a vaporware product.

Maybe next time Sony makes a handheld, they should actually make it cost effective for both them and the gamers, that way they can actually afford to make it, and we can actually afford to buy it.

The PSP is affordable to the target demographic it is aimed at. If it is not affordable to you than that sucks, but you can hardly claim that you represent the entire marketplace.

Paper exe
03-15-2005, 03:24 PM
The PSP is cheap at $200 (I don't care about the $50 in "vlaue" in the value pack). As I said before the only reason people think it is expensive is because they are thinking of the PSP in terms of "GameBoy" pricing. If you compare the PSP to other mid to high end electronic gadgets it is right in line in terms of pricing.
I don't care about other products if it Gameboy or I pod etc etc
all what I care about is that PSP cost $250 if you did not pay $250 then you cannot get PSP.
and $250 is too much for a game console.
and Sony makeing people pay for stuff they don't need is a rip off. :thumbdn:

Actually the DS is losing sales week to week in Japan, hardly what I would consider a hotcake like sales trend. A quick look at the latest numbers would show you that the PSP out sold the DS nearly two to one. Seeing as we have no way of knowing what the sales trends will look like in other markets it is pretty foolish to try to extrapolate sales trends based on Japanese data alone.
I already explaned why in my first post in this thread.

Swear to god, I can only get 2 lines into your speech before my brain starts to hurt. I know english isnt your first language, but it shouldnt be too tricky to use something that helps you, like say MS Word to help your grammar and stuff.
that what my brothers said to me. :sweat:

Akabei
03-15-2005, 03:54 PM
I don't care about other products if it Gameboy or I pod etc etc
all what I care about is that PSP cost $250 if you did not pay $250 then you cannot get PSP.
and $250 is too much for a game console.
and Sony makeing people pay for stuff they don't need is a rip off. :thumbdn:

If you think $250 is too much then the simple answer is don't spend the money. Look I really want a McLaren F1, but there is no way I would (or could for that matter) spend a million bucks on a car. But I don't go around moaning that is costs too much, grow up.

I already explaned why in my first post in this thread.
Not really. Sure there were lots of people that wanted a PSP but couldn't get one a launch, just as there were lots of people that wanted a DS that did get one a launch. That would have some effect on the continuing sales numbers of each system over the weeks following launch and indeed it has. But how many weeks does the PSP have to outsell the DS before you realize that the consumers are more interested in the PSP than in the DS? 8,12,24?

The week to week numbers show a declining interest in the DS, it is hard not to read them any other way. The SP (4 positive weeks), NGC (3 positive weeks) and the GBA (4 positive weeks) all showed better in week to week sales than the DS (1 positive week) so far this year.

Paper exe
03-15-2005, 04:13 PM
like what I said $250 in your country = about $560 in my country so do you think $560 is cheap?
and why it cost like this because of usles things that I will never use and don't need or want.
besaid $250 is still not cheap and knowing that he/she payed an extra $50 for something he/she don't want,will not let him/her happy. :thumb-dn:

Not really. Sure there were lots of people that wanted a PSP but couldn't get one a launch, just as there were lots of people that wanted a DS that did get one a launch. That would have some effect on the continuing sales numbers of each system over the weeks following launch and indeed it has. But how many weeks does the PSP have to outsell the DS before you realize that the consumers are more interested in the PSP than in the DS? 8,12,24?
my point was that when PSP released in japan there wear only about I think 400,000 but NDS there were about I think 1,000,000
see the difference
there were more NDS then PSP in last year so people who want it bought it but PSP in the other hand there was alot of people who want it but could not buy it because there were not any PSP left in japan.

Stevz
03-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Well... This news is a stab in the back. I think Sony are trying to fix problems while the PSP's name gains reputation for its release... Although slow it should hold its way (In europe, I dunno bout the US).

Akabei, I have to disagree with you on the price. The PSP and the DS are Handheld consoles. Both of these will share the current market. The DS being cheaper than the PSP is a huge advantage. The buzz is there but people have mis-understood what the PSP actually is. If it is a gadget then you can't compare it to the DS. If it is a VG handheld however then it would have to reach the constraints that have been set (By all means they can set any price for it but it won't seem practical, hence the complaints). Even I agree with Jet Set's post... they're that different to compare.

I would have hoped that Sony released this much sooner than later. It'll help them in the long run stalling DS's momentum... It can only get worse from here.

sharky~
03-15-2005, 04:56 PM
We all make mistakes my boys!

http://www.heimcomputer.de/pics/vboy2.jpg

hezz
03-15-2005, 05:16 PM
its not such a big deal for me actually. im sure its good news for alot of people that are struggling to get the money together for a PSP. 200-250euro's is alot of money, but its cheap for a PSP actually. Look at what functions you get for that price. Try finding a portable DVD player of that price and with that amount of battery time. Also its more probable that there will be a larger range of launchtitles to choose from, which is off course better for most consumers.

btw: im one of those people that is struggling to get the money. yep, poor student typing...

FinalSolace2
03-15-2005, 05:37 PM
its not such a big deal for me actually. im sure its good news for alot of people that are struggling to get the money together for a PSP. 200-250euro's is alot of money, but its cheap for a PSP actually. Look at what functions you get for that price. Try finding a portable DVD player of that price and with that amount of battery time. Also its more probable that there will be a larger range of launchtitles to choose from, which is off course better for most consumers.

btw: im one of those people that is struggling to get the money. yep, poor student typing...

selling an electronic device at a loss- albeit an expensive one- doesn't leaves much room for freedom of manuvering,

i dont think sony's tactics can hold out for a handheld so early in the game.

DS has far nore leverage being a profitable device and freely splash its money around on futre features and marketing including relations.

while nintendo is talking to theyre partners, sony is bargaining for more money from the bank. the consultations and rearrangement all cost money.

with sony i see then taking 2 steps forward and one back,

while nintendo takes short leaps only stumbling a little every now and again. nintendo are gonna get further, whereas after a while i see sony giving up trying. (within 5 years or less)

people do not wonna buy the usual playstation filler anyway, so i would say both consoles have a good amount of quality material behind them.

this is gonna be a close war for 2 year i think then DS will take off leaving PSP trailing.

psp will not support dead weight just for the benefit of developers.

TheHardware
03-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Well im glad Final solace cleard that all up for us......so could you please look into that crystal ball your supposing from and tell me next months winning lotto numbres.../sigh

honestly....nintendo is no slouch on the handheld front ..but sony is a better buisness minded company....they happen to have a killer system right now...what they do with it will determine if the go long or gain short yards......remember this, side by side ( no knowledge of gameing whatsoever) casual gamers will sweep the psp up, i dare say 4-1. (using final solaces crystal ball for this)...the price....hmmm six months from now a price drop to $200 if needed. Strategy, its whats cooking...marketing and promotion will decide, and so far there isnt much....so ill put the crystal ball away for now, and wait^^

FinalSolace2
03-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Well im glad Final solace cleard that all up for us......so could you please look into that crystal ball your supposing from and tell me next months winning lotto numbres.../sigh

honestly....nintendo is no slouch on the handheld front ..but sony is a better buisness minded company....they happen to have a killer system right now...what they do with it will determine if the go long or gain short yards......remember this, side by side ( no knowledge of gameing whatsoever) casual gamers will sweep the psp up, i dare say 4-1. (using final solaces crystal ball for this)...the price....hmmm six months from now a price drop to $200 if needed. Strategy, its whats cooking...marketing and promotion will decide, and so far there isnt much....so ill put the crystal ball away for now, and wait^^

oh i also forgot to mention- the further the psp price drop the more money sony will lose.

if a casual gamer looks at the DS an PSP side by side, the PSP will look atractive, but the price wont. The ds is cheaper and hasn't got the same appeal as the sony name, but for ?99, ITS A BARGAIN- especially as the two screens look good together (bigger is better) from casual point of veiw its a great gimmick. [polishes ball]
maybe they are thinking wait 6 months for price drop.

thing is sony is losing money and its taking them long rolling this thing out, plus they cant afford to bomb it, so a price drop will take longer, giving nintendo even more time to release its online plan and also get the killer apps out there- if they $ony do price drop they are treading very dangerous territory.

i wouldnt be surprised to see a gamecube+DS+killer app package arriving before years end for 200-220 GBP, hopefully with some kind of connectivity. it wouldnt be inconcievable to get you GC online via DS either.

also 299 GBP is not the same as 299 USD heres the figures

299 US Dollar = 156.397 British Pound
299 British Pound (GBP) = 571.628 US Dollar (USD)

571.628 US Dollar

only japs might pay that, but not us British or Aussies.
if they cant make that work then sony are screwed, theres no way we would pay those prices unless we were die-hards.

substantial price drops arnt likely as much as we may think it will happen.

i've been in uk aol chat rooms and people think its outrageous, and even casual gamers were like woah- i'll wait for price drop.

you yanks get everything super chaep and still bitch like lil bitches.
yeah i guess america can afford the psp more likly but not this edge of the world.

they talked about future connectivity with ps3, sounds like dumb prospects at the moment and vapourware as i'm concerned.

nobody likes to get thyre ka ka hole ripped.

Akabei
03-15-2005, 09:06 PM
like what I said $250 in your country = about $560 in my country so do you think $560 is cheap?
and why it cost like this because of usles things that I will never use and don't need or want.
besaid $250 is still not cheap and knowing that he/she payed an extra $50 for something he/she don't want,will not let him/her happy. :thumb-dn:

I don't know anything about your country. If you say it will be $560 then that sucks and yes that is too much. But that does not change the fact that the US pricing is not overpriced as some would like to suggest.

my point was that when PSP released in japan there wear only about I think 400,000 but NDS there were about I think 1,000,000
see the difference
there were more NDS then PSP in last year so people who want it bought it but PSP in the other hand there was alot of people who want it but could not buy it because there were not any PSP left in japan.

Once again we are not talking about the same point. I will try this one last time with you then drop it. I agree with you that more people that wanted an NDS were able to buy one last year, but that does not change the fact that customers seem to be buying all of Nintendos products at a greater rate than they are buying the NDS.

Akabei, I have to disagree with you on the price. The PSP and the DS are Handheld consoles. Both of these will share the current market. The DS being cheaper than the PSP is a huge advantage. The buzz is there but people have mis-understood what the PSP actually is. If it is a gadget then you can't compare it to the DS. If it is a VG handheld however then it would have to reach the constraints that have been set (By all means they can set any price for it but it won't seem practical, hence the complaints). Even I agree with Jet Set's post... they're that different to compare.

I would have hoped that Sony released this much sooner than later. It'll help them in the long run stalling DS's momentum... It can only get worse from here.

That is sort of my point, the current thinking that the price of the SP or the DS is some sort of price ceiling in wrong. There is a market for a handheld gaming system at $250 and I think you will see the reality of that in 9 days.

The DS seems to have lost its' momentum in Japan and I would really like to see some sort of monthly or weekly sales figures for the US. There is little doubt in my mind that the DS will in the end have outsold the PSP. With a cheaper price, compelling games and the Nintendo brand that is pretty much a given. The problem is thinking that a strong selling DS means that the PSP is a failure. While I am sure Sony would have been happy to outsell the DS so badly it was pulled from the market, I doubt that even the most zealous Sony fanboy thinks it will really happen.

remember this, side by side ( no knowledge of gameing whatsoever) casual gamers will sweep the psp up, i dare say 4-1.

According to this retailer he is expecting 5:1
http://www.wayoftherodent.com/features/psp%20v%20ds%20op.htm
(I am not sure I agree with him, since I don't think he had the pricing info)

The thing is when you look at a DS and a PSP side by side in a shop, the DS looks like it is going for what it costs while the PSP looks like it is going for ~$100-150 under its' cost. While I understand that looks alone don't mean jack when it comes to fun or gameplay, there is not much denying that the PSP is the sleeker looking unit. And people like shiny things.

if a casual gamer looks at the DS an PSP side by side, the PSP will look atractive, but the price wont. The ds is cheaper and hasn't got the same appeal as the sony name, but for ?99, ITS A BARGAIN- especially as the two screens look good together

As long as the units are turned off, if the are on the PSPs' single screen blows the DS away.

it wouldnt be inconcievable to get you GC online via DS
either.

How exactly would that work and why wouldn't it just be easier to use the BB adaptor that comes with the NGC?

you yanks get everything super chaep and still bitch like lil bitches.
yeah i guess america can afford the psp more likly but not this edge of the world.

I have no idea when everything costs so much over there. It really is pretty sad when I see companies releasing things with the same price in pounds as in dollars. It is clear you guys get teh shaft, but why is that?

Oh yeah and here is the word from Sony:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/596/596205p1.html?fromint=1

"It's been deferred. We were originally hoping for an end of fiscal year (March 31) launch, but now that's not going to be the case," the Reuters story quotes a Sony spokesman as saying. "It is likely to be a matter of a few months rather than a few weeks -- it's a matter of allocation."

Paper exe
03-16-2005, 04:46 AM
I don't know anything about your country. If you say it will be $560 then that sucks and yes that is too much. But that does not change the fact that the US pricing is not overpriced as some would like to suggest.
You know PSP should have been a gameing handheld only because that what it is original made for,if Sony did this it will not only be cheaper but it will have more and better games because by that Sony will have to make more games for it and will have to pay for third partys to make games for there handheld and about the UMV movies(I am not sure about the name) is a bad idea because they will have to remove some stuff from the DVD version and it will cost an extra $10 and not all movies will release for it and about the music people can use the memory card to download music and then put it in there memory card and by that they can hear there favorite musics every were and for free and you can do the same for movies and all that by useing PSP memory card but off course they should sell it separately so that people have the choice to buy the space of the memory card
in that way PSP will cost cheaper and will be more usefull and better then now.
Once again we are not talking about the same point. I will try this one last time with you then drop it. I agree with you that more people that wanted an NDS were able to buy one last year, but that does not change the fact that customers seem to be buying all of Nintendos products at a greater rate than they are buying the NDS.
that because NDS is a gameing only system meaning people bought it to play games
second here a list of the third party games for NDS in japan
1-a majong game that there is millions of it in jappan and there is a new one for NDS and it will release in april
2-a card game that you can only play 2 typs of cards but the problem is that you can go outside and easly buy cards for $1 then you can play all kind of cards games with as much player as you want no need NDS for every player and you can even make up your own card game.
3-Zoo Keeper-a game that originaly made for free all what you have to do is download it.
so downloading it is not wrong at all(for those who care)
4-Puyo Pop Fever- a game that released for PSP and NGC and PS2 and PC(I am not sure about the PC version) and Xbox and DC and now NDS,did you realy expect the NDS version to sell alot.
5-the Urbs-there is a GBA version and it plays similer to it(I think)and there is even a version for all consoles.
6-Mr Driller-a sequel will release after it for the GBA
7-about that Tennis based on anime game there were alot of sequels for it maybe that why it did not sell.
8-SpiderMan 2-a US game(I am not saying it is a bad thing but japanes don't buy US games)
9-Tiger Wood DS-that because there is a PSP and GBA and NGC and Xbox and PS2 version and it is a US game so this game(NDS version) selling in japan would be a strange thing
10-Pac-Pix-just see the chart
11-Meteos-just see the chart
12-Feel The Magic-could have been alot better if it have enought time but Wario Ware Touched in the other hand Nintendo had enough time to make it that why it did not sell very well
13-I don't know what it called it is that Dr game and it is the only one that I don't know why it did not sell
the other games did not released and don't forgot that now when I am makeing this post is 3/16/2005 so I don't know about the other games that will release later.

as you can see all of these games have a good reason for not selling very good in japan except Pac-Pix and Meteos because they did sell very good and the Dr game and Feel The Magic because they are the only once that did not have any good reason for not selling very good in japan.

Icarus4578
03-16-2005, 07:26 AM
Holy crap! $50 for one teeny-weeny flimsy UMD game!?!?

FinalSolace2
03-16-2005, 12:56 PM
You know PSP should have been a gameing handheld only because that what it is original made for,if Sony did this it will not only be cheaper but it will have more and better games because by that Sony will have to make more games for it and will have to pay for third partys to make games for there handheld and about the UMV movies(I am not sure about the name) is a bad idea because they will have to remove some stuff from the DVD version and it will cost an extra $10 and not all movies will release for it and about the music people can use the memory card to download music and then put it in there memory card and by that they can hear there favorite musics every were and for free and you can do the same for movies and all that by useing PSP memory card but off course they should sell it separately so that people have the choice to buy the space of the memory card
in that way PSP will cost cheaper and will be more usefull and better then now.

without all the useless movie features and below-par mp3 feature (in comparison to other device) sony coul've saved a **** load of money, and improved the power of the PSP too to completely focus on games, UMD's are stupid aswell as the cost more to make, and so far recording stuff onto sd cards using software is still too lond and tediuos for psp to read.

all these extra sucky feature are teh ghey, they could've done much better without them, saved more time and money, actyally made a profit- which would also mean the could easily pread more money for ?rd-party relations and made true PS2 ports and sequels possible.- not to mention faster manufactoring and quicker and bigger marketing campaigns. people say PSP is so great for its abilities for videos and mp3 and all that but at the end of the day its a shoddy delivery so far!!- stupid pop culture hip tech mags are further rating this thing and hyping it so much when they are not actually the real consumers....

but these extra features are turning out to be gimmicks, and a total waste of time. please psp die quickly and spare us the torture of overly hyped promises. $ony could've definately done better...
the only thing thats particularly good about the PSP is its large screen, soon when GBA next releases, 2 big screens would be enough to silence PSP for good- providing it had two screens lol but tech whores would jump all over it.

Stevz
03-16-2005, 03:27 PM
...The problem is thinking that a strong selling DS means that the PSP is a failure. While I am sure Sony would have been happy to outsell the DS so badly it was pulled from the market, I doubt that even the most zealous Sony fanboy thinks it will really happen.

By all means the PSP can hold fort even releasing after the DS. Its not a failure but the planning is abysmal. A couple of minor, and major, glitches and the PSP could've been on the way of being dominant.

By the way... there is a guy that still beleives the PSP can out-manover the DS Sales wise... Don't worry! i'll laugh and point at him for you! :haha:

FinalSolace2
03-16-2005, 03:36 PM
By all means the PSP can hold fort even releasing after the DS. Its not a failure but the planning is abysmal. A couple of minor, and major, glitches and the PSP could've been on the way of being dominant.

By the way... there is a guy that still beleives the PSP can out-manover the DS Sales wise... Don't worry! i'll laugh and point at him for you! :haha:

i reckon they will be able to hold, but only by the skin of theyre teeth, and it will remain like that until they get theyre act together.

Kwestone
03-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Just came back to see the price of the psp for the UK go through the roof... wow.. thats all i got to say..560 USD plus..

Well u can always import one from a reputable seller on ebay when it is released there. May cost you about 300 USD after shipping and that is a whole lot of savings in the end. Just have to get it by customs....

Thunder Force 6
03-16-2005, 10:44 PM
There has to be some mistake here. They have to be thinking 250 euros. Not even Sony would be so foolish.

Akabei
03-17-2005, 12:38 AM
without all the useless movie features and below-par mp3 feature (in comparison to other device) sony coul've saved a **** load of money

I doubt it cost a **** load of money to add the MP3 and MP4 abilities. MP3 is pretty cheap to add to anything these days and by looking at the MP3 software player you can tell they didn't spend about bunch of money on it. I am not so sure about the MP4 decoding costs, but if they are going to allow the games to use MP4 for cutscenes and intros then it didn't cost that much to give the end user access to it. Again they didn't spend a bunch of money on the player software development.

stupid pop culture hip tech mags are further rating this thing and hyping it so much when they are not actually the real consumers....

Still worked up over that huh? :lol:

please psp die quickly

If by die you mean sell ~1 million units in 3 days then you are correct.

The PSP will hold it's own. I am not sure if Sony had poor planning or just ran in to some unexpected issues in production of the hardware. Either way it does not look good for them. But if they can iron them out in the next 6 months then no one except for us will remember or care.

Point him out, after today I could use a good laugh.

Icarus4578
03-17-2005, 09:16 AM
We all make mistakes my boys!

http://www.heimcomputer.de/pics/vboy2.jpg

You said it. And that mistake just happened to cost somebody his life.

*SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH!*

Kwestone
03-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Our Price: ?179.99 <--- amazons price

Cross
03-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Umm you can buy PSP games at stores already, and only EA games and Rehash Warrior are $50. The rest are $39.99

PS. Littlewig, where you owned out of Gfaqs?