PDA

View Full Version : SUPER IMORTANT INFO FOR ALL XP USERS!

Overlord
09-09-2002, 11:01 PM
In case you weren't watching the screen savers tonight, they revealed a MAJOR flaw in all XP platforms that the security community has been keeping secret for weeks.
It is possible for a hacker to create a link or site that deletes all files in a directory they chose, including the windows file where everything important is stored. You can either download the XP service pack which was released today (which is very recommended for security fixs), but since it could be as much as a 140mb download, or you might have an illegal copy, downloading the service pack isn't always an option.
To fix it, do a search in your c drive for a file call "uplddrvinfo.htm", then either rename or delete it and your problem will be solved.

This is very serious.

xXx Beaver xXx
09-09-2002, 11:38 PM
As I have told you before, XP sucks and 2000 r00ls.

Hahahaha!

- Triple X Beaver :spinface:

Kid0_oIcarus
09-10-2002, 09:52 AM
I new you wouldn't stay gone for long... sucka.

BTW: Win2000 or WinXp.. it's still Microsoft :p

Seska
09-10-2002, 08:49 PM
I wouldnt trust XP as far as I could throw John Goodman, nor any other MS OS, for that matter. Its simple, if you host a FTP server, use P2P programs or spend a fair amount of time on IRC, protect yourself with a firewall, and NOT the XP default one. Get something like Norton Personal Firewall.

As for the service pack not being an option for those who don't have a legit copy - hackers find always a way around such things, and in fact they did within a day of SP1 being out. So you too can "protect" yourselves, although I am sure theres dozens of other security issues we arent aware of.

Rubeus
09-13-2002, 02:01 PM
To avoid all these problems, you could have turn off all of these WWW and FTP services in XP, this way no hackers can get inside your machine. Also, XP has built-in Firewall on all Network connection, you can turn it on to avoid hassels.

About 30% of computer users have switched to XP now, the user base of Win98 are getting smaller and smaller these days. XP is still miles better than WinME.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-13-2002, 02:07 PM
Instead of relying on XP's firewall- get a real firewall from a third party.. I think Norton's is good. I'm not sure since I always keep my net connection at home off anyway :D