PDA

View Full Version : IGN Reviews Devil May Cry 3 (9.6/10) "the best action game ever."

classchanger777
02-25-2005, 10:31 PM
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/590/590779p1.html

9.6/10

deisied
02-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Wanna know the name?

DEVIL MAY CRY

sharky~
02-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Wanna know the name?

DEVIL MAY CRY

I bet you any money its not!

Anyway,
Yeah Ive been hearing good things about this game.. :thumb-up:

Decado
02-25-2005, 11:18 PM
After playing the God of War demo and now hearing about all these great DMC3 reviews I'm really stoked. I'm sooooo ready for some serious visceral action. If Rise of Kasai turns out well I'll be in action gaming heaven.

[M]egaman Ver.6
02-26-2005, 12:16 AM
And Dante has offically made me moist.

:love:

Sinful Sam
02-26-2005, 02:17 AM
Nice score but I don't know about best action game ever. :o

Joe Redifer
02-26-2005, 03:05 AM
I can't wait to play this since it is the best thing since Jesus Juice. My expectations are now sky high and I fully expect each expectation to be met. Seriously though this looks like a fun game.

classchanger777
02-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Read the review, there are some BOLD statements in there.

Capcom should really put this one on the back of the box:

"Best Capcom game made for the PS2."

--IGN PS2

Nephlabobo
02-27-2005, 02:33 AM
I'm going to pick this up on Thursday :D

Reivenlocke
02-27-2005, 11:32 AM
I seriously wet my pants when I saw some of those combos. Incontinence....the mark of a great game. :lol:

DarknessTearv2
02-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Yeah, it's all that they say it is, trust me. I still feel like it won't get any better than this in my lifetime.. but I'd be happy if it did.

Dr. Bombay
02-27-2005, 12:04 PM
I'll get it next week.

classchanger777
02-28-2005, 12:50 AM
Finally, after a year since the game was announced Dr. Bombay finally breaks free from the Dante-hating and admits to accepting the awesomness that is DMC3.

blueskied
02-28-2005, 01:02 AM
Best action game ever, eh? Subjectivity has never been so apparent.

Slash
02-28-2005, 04:30 AM
Best action game ever, eh? Subjectivity has never been so apparent.

What did you expect from gamers who never played games before the CD era? :sweat:

Icarus4578
02-28-2005, 07:22 AM
So true Slash. :cool guy: They probably got started with Twisted Metal on PS.

BlueNocturne
02-28-2005, 02:26 PM
.. which is why I don't pay any attention to reviews. I also don't let myself get high expectations or listen to any hype surrounding future releases. You'll end up enjoying games much more when you don't even bother with reviews or hype people spout out all the time.

gearhound
02-28-2005, 02:49 PM
You'll end up enjoying games much more when you don't even bother with reviews or hype people spout out all the time.

what you say is very true

picking up DMC3 tomorrow (tuesday) night. oh, i cannot wait to play all night long!

Reality
02-28-2005, 11:36 PM
I'm curious. How good does this game stand up compared NG on Xbox?

gearhound
02-28-2005, 11:40 PM
gamespot gave dmc 3 an 8.6/10. certainly not a bad score, but after reading the review, i came to the conclusion that the 8.6 stems from the games incredible difficulty level. but towards the end of the review greg says that once you get used to the game and the play mechanics, it is better. i think once he mentioned that it was pointless to whine about the difficulty at the beginning if the game gets managable due to the player getting used to the game.

an 8.6 is too low for what he said about the game and the things that i pointed out above. seems like more of a 9.0 or above.

Messanic
02-28-2005, 11:41 PM
Apparently very well, I just hope theres a defense system is as good as Ninja Gaiden's. DMC had bad camera angles and akward controls, you also couldn't gaurd and the dodging sytem isn't that great. In Ninja Gaiden you could block and the dodging system was a lot better than DMC's.

gearhound
02-28-2005, 11:57 PM
Apparently very well, I just hope theres a defense system is as good as Ninja Gaiden's.

it doesn't

i thought the controls in dmc were perfect. the camera was also preset and very nice, although some places were rough.

Decado
02-28-2005, 11:57 PM
Actually, I didn't like NGs blocking system. Far too cheap. That was one of my few complaints about the GoW demo, too. Blocking was like in NG. It makes you practically invincible. While, overall, I think I enjoyed NG as much as DMC, DMC always seemed to require much more skill.

classchanger777
03-01-2005, 12:05 AM
For those that like blocking, issening and counter-attacking...ROYAL GUARD IS FOR YOU.

Messanic
03-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Royal gaurd is the only style that uses bocking? If so, then is the dodging system better than DMC's?

Nephlabobo
03-01-2005, 09:42 AM
gamespot gave dmc 3 an 8.6/10. certainly not a bad score, but after reading the review, i came to the conclusion that the 8.6 stems from the games incredible difficulty level. but towards the end of the review greg says that once you get used to the game and the play mechanics, it is better. i think once he mentioned that it was pointless to whine about the difficulty at the beginning if the game gets managable due to the player getting used to the game.

an 8.6 is too low for what he said about the game and the things that i pointed out above. seems like more of a 9.0 or above.

Agreed. Completely.

He comes off as a whiny bitch in his review - like every other GS reviewer.

He also said it took him 2 days to get through the first 15 minutes of the game.

He rated the game low because he sucks at it. I hate Gamespot.

gearhound
03-01-2005, 09:46 AM
i cant wait to get my ass handed to me in dmc 3. man, it is going to be so freakin' awesome.

DarknessTearv2
03-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Yeah after beating it on DMD mode I'm never going to play DMC3 again unless I'm desperate for action. It took a lot out of me but at least now I have enough skill to go back and play Hard like it was a joke.

Reivenlocke
03-01-2005, 10:32 AM

Let this be a lesson to you Joe "I couldn't hang with the difficulty level of Ninja Gaiden, but I want DMC3" Redifer. :lol:

Alistein
03-01-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm curious. How good does this game stand up compared NG on Xbox?
So am I but after reading GI(Game Informer) review I'd say NG stands much higher than DMC3. While Dante has all those moves they just don't gel like Ryu's moves in NG here is a quote from GI
"It lacks the same strategic finesse of Tecmo's infamous title,often requireing you to earnyour victories through pure blood and sweat rather than art and precision"
Thing is in DMC you are simply beating your enmies senseless while in NG it feels more like a competition or tournament. Don't get me wrong I am sure DMC is great and all but it takes a lot to outstrip Gaiden atleast it would take a console as powerful as the xbox .

DarknessTearv2
03-01-2005, 11:29 AM
DMC3 owns Ninja Gaiden hands down. End of story.

Reivenlocke
03-01-2005, 11:41 AM
You missed the point. If Joe wants DMC3, like he said he does, but got frustrated with the learning curve of Ninja Gaiden, then he'd better raise his patience level. It has nothing to do with one being better than the other.

DarknessTearv2
03-01-2005, 11:46 AM
If you're referring to me I was talking to Alistein. ;)

gearhound
03-01-2005, 11:54 AM

um... as far as realism is concerned, no, i don't think so. dmc 3 is very flashy, but ninja gaiden is more realistic. it also depends on what kind of 3-d fighting game you like.

Sinful Sam
03-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Well a 8.6 is still a respectively good score. I don't know what the big deal is. Everybody expects 9 or higher.

gearhound
03-01-2005, 10:24 PM
that's not the point. reading his review makes one think that 8.6 is too low of a score. he gave it an 8.6 because it is hard but then he goes on to say that once you get used to the mechanics and such it becomes manageable which makes his complaint about the difficulty pointless.

1up gave dmc3 a 7/10. the reviewer basically complained about the difficulty (what is wrong with these gaming pussies?), the camera, and the lock-on system. of course, the reviewer failed to mention the fact that you can MOVE THE CAMERA!! what a dip****.

the IGN review certainly didn't bitch and whine about the difficulty, and gets my respect.

Sinful Sam
03-01-2005, 11:45 PM
Yeah I would to agree. If they are whining about the difficulty then it's just BS.

SavedFromSin
03-02-2005, 01:10 AM
ive given up on action games having good cameras. If it is managable like Ninja Gaidens is, then it is pefectly fine.

classchanger777
03-02-2005, 01:43 AM
www.gamestats.com

Again--as you can tell.

If you embrace the difficulty you'll love DMC3.

If it annoys you it's not your cup of tea (you'll give a 7/10) so to speak.

I say, if you've beaten DMC1 and/or Ninja Gaiden you're safe, DMC3 should be good for you in terms of a challenge.

gearhound
03-02-2005, 12:47 PM
ok, it is time to play devil may cry 3 all day long

Dr. Bombay
03-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Question. Is the camera moved with the right thumbstick? If so, I'll have no problems with the game. That was the one thing I hated about ninja Gaiden.

gearhound
03-02-2005, 12:55 PM
i dont think you can move the camera with the right thumb stick in NG

Alistein
03-02-2005, 05:29 PM
In your opinion of course. No reviewer has said so. Infact acoordig to Gamespy NG stands better and I am sure Edge would agree also .In any case the last hurricane pack coming soon for NG will put a finale to this putting NG as the number one action game this gen.End of story.

Messanic
03-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Ninja Gaiden already accomplished what it set out to do, be better than Devil May Cry, and it was, but Devil May Cry 3 begs to differ. Graphics is not an issue as all three games look pretty anyway, so anyone that has an opinionated argument about which game looks better should not talk. According to other people and not some review or magazine, DMC3 stands above or equal to NG, so theres no possible way that NG can be the number one action game this gen as it's all up to what you think, not the media, end of story.

DeathStroke
03-02-2005, 06:00 PM
In your opinion of course. No reviewer has said so.

Actually, the IGN guy called this game the best action game yet.

Infact acoordig to Gamespy NG stands better and I am sure Edge would agree also.

In the Gamespy review, they said that PS2 owners that wanted a game like Ninja Gaiden should feel well provided for by DMC3. That's actually the opening sentence of the review. The only con they had in fact was that the game was too difficult for its own good and that is where the majority of the complaints in all reviews are coming from. The 1up.com guy starts off with difficulty of the game and regresses to blaming his own inadequacy on the camera.

In any case the last hurricane pack coming soon for NG will put a finale to this putting NG as the number one action game this gen.End of story.

That's one advantage Ninja Gaiden will always have over DMC3. Still, Capcom has produced an action title on par with, if not better then the best action title so far. Not to mention that Itagaki practically took most of the conventions they developed in DMC and Onimusha to produce Ninja Gaiden.

gearhound
03-02-2005, 06:40 PM
dmc3 kicks serious ass

FinalSolace2
03-02-2005, 06:57 PM
i found the difficulty in dmc1 a bit tedious at times but thatwerent the issue, i enjoyed the game alot, i just wasnt impressed with the longevity...

BlueNocturne
03-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Ah, how I love the way everyone's opinion "ends the story". Seriously, though.. when playing videogames, I don't really think about which one might be better than the other. I just play them. And yes, I agree DMC 3 does kick serious ass.

BashingU
03-02-2005, 10:43 PM
I honestly would expect DMC3 to be better than NG, and I say this because both games need to not only push each other, but push the action genre of video games as well...I felt that DMC3 needed to make up in spades what DMC2 was supposed to be...Now there is one more hurricane pack coming for NG which will be good, but I'm glad that you guys are enjoying DMC3. My friend is getting the game so I will be able to get a glimpse of the game soon...

Joe Redifer
03-02-2005, 10:44 PM
This game is hard, and hard=great game. Any game that is hard must be great. Anyway, I plan on renting this, but not buying it. I have heard that the difficulty is severely unbalanced (going from easy to hard and back to easy again and again over the course of the game) and that could be more upsetting than anything. Hopefully they remembered to make the game fun instead of just hard for the sake of being hard (which is completely pointless).

I hear the music in this game sucks like it did in DMC2. I liked the music in DMC1 (though I still have yet to play ANY DMC game) but the music in part 2 was asstastic. I have heard the entire OST's for both.

gearhound
03-03-2005, 12:12 AM
the music doesnt suck

Messanic
03-03-2005, 12:14 AM
DMC3 is awsome, the difficulty is like that of the hard games during the old days, easy to play, hard to master. I'll have a review for it in like 2 days, if I beat it then.

classchanger777
03-03-2005, 04:19 AM
I found DMC3's difficulty to be overhyped.

DMC3 is abotu as hard as playing DMC1 for the first time.

It's really fun to get whooped sometimes, put a big smile on my face because I just realized a strategy, put it to use and beat the mission. WORD!

Old school gaming mixed with a combo system to end all combo systems.

gearhound
03-03-2005, 12:04 PM
This game is hard, and hard=great game. Any game that is hard must be great. Anyway, I plan on renting this, but not buying it. I have heard that the difficulty is severely unbalanced (going from easy to hard and back to easy again and again over the course of the game) and that could be more upsetting than anything. Hopefully they remembered to make the game fun instead of just hard for the sake of being hard (which is completely pointless).

who told you this? did a little birdy land on your shoulder, joe? :lol:

Joe Redifer
03-03-2005, 02:17 PM
That's what EGM commented in their review, that the difficulty is unbalanced.

gearhound
03-03-2005, 02:20 PM
EGM are a bunch of whiny bitches. sure, some bosses arer harder than others, but the difficulty increases as you progress.

gearhound
03-03-2005, 04:32 PM
ok, it's time to get my ass kicked some more in ... "wanna' know the name? DEVIL MAY CRY!!"

"hah, hah, hah, hah, hah, hah, BREAKDOWN"

:lol:

Joe Redifer
03-03-2005, 04:58 PM
I heard that this game is the best action game EVER

gearhound
03-03-2005, 05:33 PM
I heard that this game is the best action game EVER

hmm... it is pretty DAMN GOOD

burpingcat
03-03-2005, 06:50 PM
You know, I played DMC2 the other day, and it's not really that bad.
Except for the animations, which are good but are too slow to combo well.

and the story, which is either completely absent or nonsense.

and the bosses, which seem to come out of nowhere and are easy.

and the ability-earning aspect, or rather the lack of it.

and the fact that I almost beat the game in a few hours, without even noticing.

govtcheese
03-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Uproot em!

gearhound
03-03-2005, 07:00 PM
"HEY RISER!! GO AHEAD, UPROOD HIM"

"HUH?"

"YOU'RE RIZER... BILL RIZER?"

"HMM... YOU'RE NOT BAD"

"YEAH, BUT RIGHT NOW I AM MORE CONCERNED WITH THAT MYSTERY G. WHAT'S HIS ANGLE?"

neo contra is so funny it hurts.