PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo 4's graphics

Joe Redifer
02-24-2005, 11:27 PM
OK the game has been out for a few days and nobody has begun discussing it? I guess not too many people are interested in this game. Anyway I rented it so I could see the PS2 do HDTV and also see if the graphics lived up to all of the hype they've received in renders. They do not.

First off is the HDTV 1080i mode. I do give them credit for trying, but the detail is no better than the regular modes, and that is certain. There are still tons of jaggies all over the place. There is also a 480p mode, which probably looks a wee bit better than the 1080i HDTV mode, if just a little bit "dimmer" (for lack of a better word). In both 480p and 1080i, the game feels the need to switch back to 480i (normal TV resolution) for the menus. WHY? That is retarded beyond all belief and completely unacceptable. As for the graphics themselves they look NOWHERE NEAR the quality of the renders we've been bombarded with for months and months. Anyone who believed them is now proven completely wrong. The game does not look as nice as Rallisport Challenge 2 or Project Gotham 2, though unlike Gotham GT4 DOES run at 60fps at all times, so it does have the edge there.

What's interesting is that I bet I would have thought a lot more about the graphics as would everyone else if they hadn't been so damned hyped up! I would have said things like "Wow, this looks great for a PS2 game, I'm surprised they pulled this much off!" instead of "The graphics do not live up to the screens we have been shown and I am disappointed. Sony lied to us all."

The sound has been changed from the Japanese version. The FMV intro starts up with the same operatic music as the Jap version, but then switches gears and plays Van Halen's "Panama" instead of the really cool guitar theme that's in the Japanese versions of all Gran Turismo games. The rest of the game uses crappy licensed music as well, and some of it is heard in other existing games like Need fo' Speed Undaground. Disappointing.

The point of the whole story here is one that I've been preaching for a long, long time: NEVER TRUST SCREENS OF A GAME BEFORE IT'S RELEASE. EVER!!!!!

garrffy
02-24-2005, 11:56 PM
I just played in the local EB so didn't spend a lot of time disecting the graphics. It looks better than GT3 and actually I like the look of it better than PGR2.
Anyways I am not buying it yet because to me nothing is better than a good race online, Burnout 3 is still my favorite though it might not look as good as GT4. I am a bit tired of all those licencing requirements after three GT games.

Abaddon
02-24-2005, 11:57 PM
So you're saying the game was hyped up the a-hole with the graphics.

I don't care for racing games much so I wasn't going to get this game regardless, but one of the things I kept on hearing was how this game looked better than Forza, even though you haven't played the full version of Forza, do you believe the graphics you saw on this game will rival the high profile racing title on the xbox? You said that even gotham 2 looked better than it.

I ask because the graphics were almost always tied with the comparison of the graphics in this other game (forza).

Alucard
02-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Eh? You're acting as if this is the first time this has happened. They've been doing it since Tekken Tag. I've played GT4 and I for one think the graphics is great. They got the car models looking alot better, the stages look great, and the lighting is excellent. Mind you everyone should know how critical I am of the useless PS2.

Comparing it to Rallisport is unfair. Aside from the Xbox being able to use way more textures and blahblah, the stages are very different. Having ones with all that mud and the trees and other gritty stuff around really adds ALOT.to the graphics. GT4 is mainly street tracks and racing circuits. Nothing really too hardcore. But people who buy GT4 are not out for graphics. If they're like me its for the handling, and thats the part you should be focusing on. For all the loveliness Rallisport2 brought with it, the handling was beyond **** compared to the lexcellent first title which I love to death. GT4's handling is superb and thats what you should be focusing on, aswell as the zillion different feeling cars.

As for the music, I always have it switched off. I need to listen to the sound of my gears to get the most out of my performance and speed without having to listen to some BS loud crap thats considered good music. Like GT3, there was probably 3 good songs and the rest were hardcore rubbish. Thank you for the music off option Sony!

Havent payed too much of it so far, but as for graphics and handling, game is top of the line for me.

Vicviper
02-25-2005, 12:17 AM
JoeR,
The all important question is, does it work with HDloader?

IoriYagami n8
02-25-2005, 01:08 AM
One trick they like to play on you is to only show you media from the replay mode, which can generally put in a few extra goodies since it doesn't do as much processing. They pop a few nice filters that help add to the over all package that you won't find in the actual gameplay of the game. Gran Turismo is crap anyway. I can't stand racing simulations. On the other hand, I can't get enough of arcade racers.

burpingcat
02-25-2005, 02:09 AM
Dude, Panama is a great song. It sucks that there are no Ferraris in GT4 for us to properly enjoy the song with...

rgmxp
02-25-2005, 02:15 AM
I'm just really dying to know if there are any WORKING headlights in this version. It was a pain driving through the stage Swiss Alps in a sunset stage barely able to see at all.

I'm going to wait on to buy it til GT4 and MGS3 makes it on to The Best series. Not worth it to spend all that money on GT4, for MGS3 I'm simply just broke, lol.

tpfkanep
02-25-2005, 02:17 AM
As long as GT does not have damage models, they cannot call it the "Real driving Simulator".How the hell can you race at top speed straight into a wall and it does not affect the car's handling. GT is for the easily fooled masses. Pfffft... Licensing my ass! And the rubber band AI. Nothing has changed since the PS1 days. Except the graphics, lighting (phwoooar lens flare, etc. :rolleyes: )

Joe Redifer
02-25-2005, 02:28 AM
JoeR,
The all important question is, does it work with HDloader?
Of course not, nor did I expect it to. No Sony game works with the HDLoader that I know of. Nothing recent, anyway.

Alucard, I am not acting like this is the first time this has happened. Read the very last line of my post above. There were lots of pics being posted everywhere and PS2 fanboys were saying how it destroys the Gamecube an Xbox and whatever. And yes, for a PS2 game it does look great. It just looks NOTHING like the screens that have been posted. Rallisport is a good comparison because the Grand Canyon track in GT4 is probably the best looking track in the game. Or at least one of the best looking ones. Gotham is also a good comparison because it has many of the same tracks (though I still hate Gotham). Also, I think some people somewhere said that the spectators on the sidelines are 3D models. They are not. They are animated 2D "sprites" which are as flat as paper.

I also can't seem to get the PS2 to recognize my USB storage device. Maybe it only works with direct plug-in readers vs. Flash Card and/or Smartmedia readers. Too bad. The photo mode actually anti-aliases the render, but it is a still and not rendered in real time. I would have loved to see that on my computer monitor in high-rez.

Anyway I agree with Iori on this one. I'm sure I'll hate Forza, too. But I still want to try it.

SavedFromSin
02-25-2005, 03:06 AM
i love this game, it rocks so much. I have spent way to much time on this game. As soon as my classes get out I head home and spend the rest of the night playing it. It is way better then the previous titles and is much more fun. More to do, nice graphics (but graphics do not make the game, gameplay does right?), and just all out fun. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes racers. Myself i am not big on racing games, but I love this game.

TheHardware
02-25-2005, 03:21 AM
I guess the same could be said of halo 2...looks nowhere as good as the screens we saw in early pics....alll in all..it looks better than most other games (all systems included)

and i guess this means all mags and online publications are lying.....im not doubting that you know your thing joe.....but your not the only one.....i will make my own impressions soon

Joe Redifer
02-25-2005, 04:29 AM
OK it looks like HDTV does add a bit too the game. Here are a couple of pics I just took:

http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/crap/Redifer/hdtv.jpg
HDTV 1080i

http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/crap/Redifer/480p.jpg
480p 16:9

The game refuses to recognize my printer as well!

Alucard
02-25-2005, 10:42 AM
Just a little point from me, usually screens that are released are not always what the game looks like. If youlook at a PS2 screenshot and you DONT see any aliasing jaggies on any straight surface anywhere, its NOT ingame. Aside from those grand canyon shots and that one from the little excellent italian style village stage, everything else was just FMV. Was very easy to spot. People who cant tell the difference between an ingame and FMV screenshot have issues. So its no wonder they're fanboys. I mean theres people who think Halo2 looks better then any PC game out there. It hurts me.

I'm a big supporter of ingame damage to be brought to this game. But its the car manufacturers who are the real ones at fault for not allowing Sony to do this. GT truly shines when you've built up a few cars, fine tuned the HELL out of them to the way you want them to handle, and then challenge friends. I think I spent 3 months playing GT1, and then 6 months using select cars to challenge with friends on a weekly basis. Repeat for the rest, except for GT3 because we all got sidetracked by some MMORPG at the time so only played 2 months, challenged 1 month.

Zod
02-25-2005, 11:04 AM
As long as GT does not have damage models, they cannot call it the "Real driving Simulator".How the hell can you race at top speed straight into a wall and it does not affect the car's handling. GT is for the easily fooled masses. Pfffft... Licensing my ass! And the rubber band AI. Nothing has changed since the PS1 days. Except the graphics, lighting (phwoooar lens flare, etc. :rolleyes: )

I agree, and think it sucks that they traded off that very important bit of realism to protect the egos of the car makers who didn't want to see their cars damaged.

Alucard
02-25-2005, 02:12 PM
I agree, and think it sucks that they traded off that very important bit of realism to protect the egos of the car makers who didn't want to see their cars damaged.

Its either that or make up the license names themselves. Look at other games that have licensing. FIFA compared to Pro Evo. People grab FIFA for the main reason that ALL the names and outfits are there, where as people have a few issues with the BETTER game Pro Evo, not having every single name since EA is a whore is owns it practically. Plus no doubt Sony get a HUGE amount of money from advertising these manufacturers in the game.

gearhound
02-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Dude, Panama is a great song. It sucks that there are no Ferraris in GT4 for us to properly enjoy the song with...

yeah, if you live in the 80s. seriously, 80s music is dead and crap bands like motely crue are still pumping out crap as if they can compare to real rock/metal. fucking lame. i am getting dmc 3 isntead of gt3 for now. gt4 does look very, very nice.

naruto_sensei
02-25-2005, 05:59 PM
the manufactureres don't want to see their car beat up? wrong. they really don't give a **** since this is just a game. I remeber reading somewhere that yamauchi said that they don't have the resources (or something like that; I read this a while ago) necesary to make it as realisitic as they want. And you know polyphony if they can't do it right then they won't do it at all. they're supposedly putting in damage modeling for Gran Turismo 5.

TheHardware
02-26-2005, 12:44 AM

Do you foresee a time when you will be able to include car damage in a GT game?

Kazunori: One of the reasons it would be difficult to include damage is that, because Gran Turismo is a real driving simulator, we would have to consider damage to be real. I have dome experiments, and a very high percentage - maybe 80 percent - of crashes in Gran Tursimo will cause the car to fall into pieces maybe two inches big.

Current specifications of the hardware will not allow us to represent this fully. If the specs are higher, then maybe, but then again, there are also other issues with manufacturers, licence issues and so forth, which keep us from doing this. There are many hurdles we must jump over.

It's not all manufacturers, but there is a trend generally speaking that manufacturers have become a little bit more lenient towards the direction we would like to head, in terms of allowing for damage on cars in games.

You do see that in other games - there are ways - it's just that with the range of cars we have, it's more difficult.

Alucard
02-26-2005, 04:13 AM
the manufactureres don't want to see their car beat up? wrong. they really don't give a **** since this is just a game. I remeber reading somewhere that yamauchi said that they don't have the resources (or something like that; I read this a while ago) necesary to make it as realisitic as they want. And you know polyphony if they can't do it right then they won't do it at all. they're supposedly putting in damage modeling for Gran Turismo 5.

Half and half. They cant program all of that, but theres nothing stopping them from making the cars get dents or paint scratched off or something like that, EXCEPT the manufacturers.

Joe Redifer
02-26-2005, 04:29 AM
What I don't understand is why the manufacturers let every other game with their cars get damaged.

TheHardware
02-26-2005, 04:40 AM
well what if you had 5 car companys that say yes..include damage..and 15 that said no you cant include dameage...what do you do then....have some cars with damages? i think it would be more unbelievable than it is now..ohh by the way your tv looks great..and can i see your bias.....what score (1-10) would you give the graphics in gt4?

burpingcat
02-26-2005, 04:50 AM
yeah, if you live in the 80s. seriously, 80s music is dead and crap bands like motely crue are still pumping out crap as if they can compare to real rock/metal. fucking lame. i am getting dmc 3 isntead of gt3 for now. gt4 does look very, very nice.

First off, Motley Crue is not the be-all, end-all rock band of the 80's, far from it. Second, Panama was by Van Halen, a band that was way better than Motley Crue. Motley Crue's new stuff sucks because it sounds just like all the modern **** rock music that you call "real". However, Panama is a ROCK CLASSIC, a status that the bull**** rock that is made today will never achieve. Good 50's-80's rock blows away 99% of modern rock. sorry if this sounded harsh, but i couldn't help it

Joe Redifer
02-26-2005, 04:50 AM
Considering the PS2's age, I'd have to give it a 9 for graphics. It does have some of the paper trees and the like, but the detail of the cities is amazing. The car models aren't really anything that hasn't been seen before, but they are very accurate. The frame rate is usually at 60fps so that is good as well. The headlights don't cast "real" light and I don't seem to recall if tire marks are left when you screech around a corner. But there is very little pop-up and the drawing distance is quite good. I didn't play the game enough to give it a full review though, nor would I care to.

gearhound
02-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Second, Panama was by Van Halen

:yikes: really?? yes, i like panama and i like some van-halen.

i never said nor did i imply that motley crue was the be-all, end-all band of the 80s.

mainstream rock sucks really hard. their new stuff sucks because motley crue sucks.

*red neck 80s guy voice* "got any motley?"

C4RL
02-26-2005, 10:29 PM
I just played in the local EB so didn't spend a lot of time disecting the graphics. It looks better than GT3 and actually I like the look of it better than PGR2.
Anyways I am not buying it yet because to me nothing is better than a good race online, Burnout 3 is still my favorite though it might not look as good as GT4. I am a bit tired of all those licencing requirements after three GT games.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Muthafudger/EAsucks.jpg

Dr. Bombay
02-27-2005, 02:37 AM
My friend let me borrow this too. It looks SLIGHTLY better than GT3. The game looks NOTHING like those screens we saw so before hand.

And it bores me to tears. I spent an hour trying to get the B licence. I've never felt so sleepy playing a video game. I will take PGR2 over this game any day of the year.

Joe Redifer
02-27-2005, 04:25 AM
I kept wondering to myself when I was getting the B License "How many damned tests are there? They just keep comin' and comin' and comin'!" Truth be told I think there are only 16 tests plus some lame-ass "Nicotine Break" or something like that. The only reason I wanted to get a license was to get a car so I could take pics of it and test out the USB drive and printer connectivity, both of which failed.