PDA

View Full Version : Rare slowly severing ties with Nintendo?

Seska
09-02-2002, 02:59 AM
Taken from Gamespy Daily:

Nintendo Games Become Very Rare
Aramo | 8:52 | Console

The already fragile understanding between Rare and Nintendo received yet another incurable dent -- Rare has terminated development on Donkey Kong Coconut Crakers (GBA) and Donkey Kong Racing (GCN) for no apparent reason. At any rate, the company is still hard working on Kameo: Elements of Power (GCN) and a Banjo Kazooie game for the Game Boy Advance. Contrary to the Donkey Kong titles, these games are not made under a Nintendo license. The only Nintendo title that remains in production by Rare is Diddy Kong Pilot (GBA).

Alucard
09-02-2002, 03:41 AM
bah. All I want is stinkin Kameo to com eout in my lifetime. The other games they make aren't a big thing for me. But then again I'm someone who will have all 3 consoles so one company making games for another isn't a problem. GIVE ME KAMEO!!

Black Sugar
09-02-2002, 10:16 AM
Kameo got a lot of potential. I'm glad to hear that Rare is still hard working on that game. I was tired seeing Rare making stupid childchish games all the time (they can make way better games than that), If they become third party, It only can bring good.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-02-2002, 10:27 AM
Wh0a, so they've been officially canned? And what's this about their "fragile understanding"?

They wouldn't just now be picking up on the removal of the links from Rare's website that spurred yet another rash of posts wondering when Rare would leave Nintendo - that was a couple of weeks ago!

Can anyone vouch for Gamespy's accuracy? M3a/\/wh1le I'll be snooping around other sites, on the lookout for confirmation...

Vicviper
09-03-2002, 12:38 AM
I agree with Alucard. I have all 3 systems so it really doesn't matter if Rare develops for all platforms. Personally I would like to see them develop more for GC and Xbox than the PS2.
Kameo looks sweet. I'm also excited to play the next Conker. I really liked the N64 ver.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-03-2002, 07:57 AM
Yeah Conker's BFD was hilarious... all except for the ending, which I found lacking.

Anyway, I've not been able to get confirmation anywhere else... but of course, Gamespy might've gotten an early start on the news.. or they may just be running a little late to the rumor party...

aneep
09-03-2002, 07:04 PM
CVG reports that MS is looking to buy Rare @ 350 million (pound? euro? i forgot)

-aneep-

Overlord
09-03-2002, 08:08 PM
Yeah, it's 350 Pounds. Bill said it's about half a billion in US dollers.

Edit: Pound, Euro? It's what ever this is: ?.

Black Sugar
09-03-2002, 08:41 PM
I agree with Alucard. I have all 3 systems so it really doesn't matter if Rare develops for all platforms. Personally I would like to see them develop more for GC and Xbox than the PS2.

That ain't the point bro. If Rare going multiplatforms, They won't be retricted to create specific games. We are talking about a develloper who use to create games such as RC Pro-Am and BattleToad here !

Alucard
09-03-2002, 11:20 PM
Maybe they'll stick to Nintendo for all those big games that take forever to make and they dont want to be rushed on by other companies to get them out, and bring out the normal stuff for other systems. OR just port them. Eitherway this isn't a definate. I see the rumour as just that. A rumour.

Black Ace
09-04-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Overlord
Yeah, it's 350 Pounds. Bill said it's about half a billion in US dollers.

Edit: Pound, Euro? It's what ever this is: ?.

Well to be exact, its 547 million USDs. Thats quite a lot of money, for a game developer. Rare is worth that much. During their time with Nintendo, they rake in a few hundreds millions with the Donkey Kong brand. Having sold over 8 millions of Donkey Kong Country, not including 2 & 3 or DK64, thats bring in over $300 million dollars. Their next blockbuster that is not DK was Goldeneye,sold a truck loads (http://ign64.ign.com/articles/068/068327p1.html) also Diddy Kong Racing sold like 4 millions.

Vicviper
09-04-2002, 12:33 PM
Black Bahamut,

Didn't Rare create RC pro-am and Battletoads before they were Nintendo's 2nd party developer?

Black Ace
09-04-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Vicviper

Didn't Rare create RC pro-am and Battletoads before they were Nintendo's 2nd party developer?

True.