PDA

View Full Version : Can Sega handle the ps2's complex architecture?

Torment
09-02-2002, 03:39 AM
I just bought Sega sports tennis for the Ps2.Its a great game but i see so much flickering and some bad jaggies.The DC version looks way better and heck of a lot cleaner too.I know the PS2 could do better than the DC version.They also did a poor conversion of Virtua Fighter 4 which is a little dissapointing as they hyped the ps2 version to be better then the arcade version.Sometimes i wonder if sega is still having problems with the PS2 or they are just plain lazy or maybe they are just bitter that the PS2 played a part in the DC's death.Just my opinion, no flames please
:)

I really can't help but to feel that most of the sega games on the PS2 contain at least some bad jaggies or its just some poorly done arcade ports.

Alucard
09-02-2002, 04:47 AM
I dont remember Sega ever saying the PS2 version of VF4 would be better then the arcade version, considering how poerful the arcade machine is ALOT of people were doubtful Sega could even make VF4 look as good as it. It came out identical. All the texture somehow still there. I dont know why they couldn't improve the aliasing, but considering how they ported the game, I was floored by it. Very well done. And Virtua Tennis 2 is awesome.

It is surprising that the only games of Sega with little anti-aliasing is on the PS2. GC and XBox their games are crisp.

Torment
09-02-2002, 08:48 AM
Sega once said that the PS2 port would be better than the arcade version.Dunno if they did it to please the fans or something.I remember them saying that the ps2 version will be identical.
The ps2 version of VF4 does not have the lush textures of the arcade version.Just look at the beach stage.Huge difference.
Some of the distant objects were pre-rendered while the far objects in the arcade version are in full 3d.
Anyway i am glad that the gameplay is intact.All the arcade combos worked in the ps2 port.

Its obvious that sega rushed the VF4 port to meet the release date.If they are given more time, maybe the port MIGHT be as good as the arcade version or slightly close.

Black Sugar
09-02-2002, 11:26 AM
Its obvious that sega rushed the VF4 port to meet the release date.If they are given more time, maybe the port MIGHT be as good as the arcade version or slightly close.

This might be the case Torment. Working on the videogame industry, I see a lot of project rush in the end to meet the deadline. PS2 is a really difficult hardware to program on. And sometime It just doesn't worth the time to a certain extent.

As one programmer quote: the PS2 is a poweful messup console!

b0b
09-02-2002, 09:00 PM
your lucky to even be able to bitch my PS2 got read errors off both VF4 and Sega Sports Tennis 2k I can't play them at all so enjoy your flickering

Rubeus
09-02-2002, 11:25 PM
That's probably because you used your PS2 too much on DVD movies or pirated games.

Alucard
09-03-2002, 01:35 AM
No that wouldn't be the problem. Most PS2's act like that after a while. Its the bodgy lens getting out of alignment. Nothing to do with movies or games. And even if it was DVDs movies, shouldn't the console be able to handle it? A big finger up to you Sony for making such a bodgy system.

hgblob
09-03-2002, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Alucard
No that wouldn't be the problem. Most PS2's act like that after a while.

Really? How interesting. My PS2's still running fine and it's about a year old, heavily used. So how much of a while do I have until until it dies? :rolleyes:

Its the bodgy lens getting out of alignment. Nothing to do with movies or games. And even if it was DVDs movies, shouldn't the console be able to handle it? A big finger up to you Sony for making such a bodgy system.

This has been discussed in other threads. Every manufactured product is bound to have some units experiencing malfunctions. Singling out one company (ie, Sony) and then saying that they deliberately make it malfunction just sounds like you're blowing it all out of proportion.

Alucard
09-03-2002, 08:20 AM
Sorry, but I've never seen one console with so many complaints on boards. Its well known the PS2 aint that special. And dont worry, ALOT of consoles will stuff up in time. I remember seeing one guy on a board elsewhere make fun of people saying they must overuse their PS2's or not treat them well cause HIS is still fine. A few months later he was asking help on how to get his system to read stuff.

Its not a problem. Untill you realise you spent so much money on a defective system. I've owned 7 consoles in the past. My PS2 is the only one to go so far. So you can say I do have a problem with Sony. Like many who have had to buy a new one or get theirs repaired.

aneep
09-03-2002, 08:37 PM
if i remember correctly Sega spent 6 months porting VF4 to PS2, an incredible feat IMO, considering they add a lot over the arcade version (training, all the extras, AI mode, etc)

thats 6 months for a 1st time effort, mind u

yeah they had to lower the detail abit, considering N2 was (and still is) quite a beast, and some say even more powerfull than the Xbox (the Xbox lead the PS2 by quite a margin going by devs quotes and benchmarks) so in a 6 months time, not a lot of room to optimize it, i think

and i think Yu Suzuki himself is not to fond of PS2 architecture (gamers.com interview, IGN.com interview, Gamespot interview), so he might want to release the game as soon as possible

-aneep-

hgblob
09-04-2002, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Alucard
Sorry, but I've never seen one console with so many complaints on boards. Its well known the PS2 aint that special. And dont worry, ALOT of consoles will stuff up in time. I remember seeing one guy on a board elsewhere make fun of people saying they must overuse their PS2's or not treat them well cause HIS is still fine. A few months later he was asking help on how to get his system to read stuff.

Its not a problem. Untill you realise you spent so much money on a defective system. I've owned 7 consoles in the past. My PS2 is the only one to go so far. So you can say I do have a problem with Sony. Like many who have had to buy a new one or get theirs repaired.

One reason I don't take the number of complaints I read on the boards as an indicator of how good/bad the reliability of PS2 is that some people seem to make it their mission in life to put something down. I'm not saying that every person who complains that his or her PS2 died is lying. Just that I keep in mind that a few tend to overexaggerate on the problem. Also, given that there are (I think) 30million PS2s out in the world, even totalling the number of all those people who complain that their units malfunction, it would still add up to a very small fraction of the total units sold and in use.

Admittedly, I don't have 7 consoles like you -- where do you get the money for all the games, anyway? :) All I have are a PSX, a DC, and a PS2. Of the three, I've had the most problems with my DC. It crashed a whole lot when I first got it, the VMU eats up batteries like there's no tomorrow, and the controller's d-pad got screwed up within a month of use even though all I had played on it was Sakura Taisen 1. I know I'm not alone with DC troubles because I've spoken to others who have had their DCs screw up, etc. But I'm just one of a small fraction of people who have problems with the console. I'm one of the unlucky people who had gotten a unit, and its accessories, that isn't perfect. My console didn't perform very well, and neither did those others I mentioned, but millions of other owners' DCs have been and are doing well. So, I don't complain that the DC is crap, or that Sega makes lousy consoles based solely on my own limited experience.

Torment
09-05-2002, 03:30 AM
Sega is a very good company but i just feel that they should put in a lot more effort for their ps2 games just like what they did for their GC and XBOX games.
We have seen better games on the PS2 without any jaggies or bad flickering, didn't we?:)

Kamui
09-05-2002, 10:47 PM
I think that sega is doing a good job. I have Space Channel 5 Two and REZ and these 2 games have a few graphical problems. I've seen VF4 and I think that is a good ( not great) game. There is some jaggies here and there, but the graphics on the arcade were not that great anyway..... Tekken 4 and DOA 3 were way better in all aspects.

Maybe AM2 is just a little lazy after all..... but I seen also Power Smash 2, and it feels much the same for me than the DC version, but keep in mind that I played a few minutes.... So rest assured that Sega CAN handle the PS2.