PDA

View Full Version : 4 Million GTA:VC Pre-Orders!!!

Overlord
08-28-2002, 01:30 AM
And the pre-orders are still going. Source? If you have IGN insider, check the latest Roundtable. David Smith says this.

Alucard
08-28-2002, 05:50 AM
I wonder how many of those people realise the game isn't a sequel. I'm sure quite alot of them.

Seska
08-28-2002, 05:58 AM
Well, the game is as close to a sequel as a sequel can get. More vehicles, weapons, missions and a far larger city - I'm sure it will be mopre than enough to make this expansion a multi-million seller, and diehard fans should be pleased enough.

Cobi*
08-28-2002, 12:47 PM
it's going to be sold out throughout the winter :2happy:

i don't get why rockstar keeps insisting this isn't a sequel. as if it's supposed to make some kind of difference ??? .

Vicviper
08-28-2002, 01:34 PM
4 million preorders? Is this the number of preorders made by stores or pre orders made by actually gamers?

Kid0_oIcarus
08-28-2002, 02:52 PM
I think they just pulled that number of of their... heads.

I say liar, liar! da pants! da pants!... they are burning!!

Penance
08-29-2002, 12:09 AM
I think they just pulled that number of of their... heads.

I say liar, liar! da pants! da pants!... they are burning!!

Doubt it. And I think they have access to more things then you do.

Not really a huge surprise though. We all knew that this game will sell great.

gabriel
08-29-2002, 05:10 PM
I really doubt that number. 4 million sales would make this game the highest selling game ever, bar the Mario series. Especially when you take into account that those are just preorders. Even if it "only" sold another 2 million copies after it's release, that would make 6 million total, which would be impossible.

Overlord
08-29-2002, 08:52 PM
Are you saying GTA:VC making it to 6 million is impossible? GTAIII is closing in on 7 million right now.

Black Ace
08-29-2002, 09:35 PM
Rockstar hit the jack pot with this baby.

gabriel
08-30-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Overlord
Are you saying GTA:VC making it to 6 million is impossible? GTAIII is closing in on 7 million right now.

Really? That's crazy, the only thing that's sold more than that is the original Mario trilogy. I would've thought they would've made a really big deal about something like that considering how big a deal was made about Dragon Quest 7 breaking 4 mil making the best selling game on the PSX.

Mikeru83
08-30-2002, 03:35 AM
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/361/361601p1.html

That was written in June.

Who knows why no one mentions Grand Theft Auto 3... Maybe it's the black sheep of the gaming universe?

Necro ??
08-30-2002, 05:54 AM
Well can you really deny Rock star with GTA3?

the game basicly appels to the mature group and they are over ruleing kids in the video game area.Im a proud owner of that near 7 million. :D

Cant go wrong with gta,and from the looks of vice city.You'd be a damn fool if you went wrong with it. ;)

Overlord
08-30-2002, 08:08 PM
GT3 sold 8 million before GTAIII reached 6 million. And the sales started picking up again when it hit Greatest Hits. And it's selling all over the world.

Rubeus
08-31-2002, 12:54 AM
The first three GTA titles are developed by DMA Designs, did Rockstar bought the entire company, since GTA Vice City is now developed by Rockstar North instead?

Black Ace
08-31-2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Rebeus
The first three GTA titles are developed by DMA Designs, did Rockstar bought the entire company, since GTA Vice City is now developed by Rockstar North instead?

As far as I can recalled of DMA history, they were once a Nintendo dream team developer, just as Rare was and since has been focusing chiefly and Nintendo development, there were around 10 dream team developers, Acclaim was on of them, and N64 support was their focus, which help saved them from Bankruptcy.

DMA I think is own by Take Two Interactive.

Overlord
08-31-2002, 01:54 AM
DMA changed there name to "Rock Star Studio" or something similar for a while. But I think they changed it back for now, or changed it to somehting else.

Mikeru83
08-31-2002, 06:28 AM
I'm not too sure about how this works, but this is what I know.

Take2 Interactive owns Rockstar Games.

DMA developed all GTAs.

DMA changed their name to Rockstar North.

Rockstar Games published GTA3.

SO...

That makes Rockstar Games a publisher and branch of Take2.

Possibly, DMA is owned by Rockstar Games, hence the name change.

??? I'm just as confused as anyone else. And the colors aren't just to make the post pretty.

xXx Beaver xXx
08-31-2002, 07:33 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I think you are a pretty little boy, did the kids at school tease you?

- Triple X Beaver :spinface:

happyokay
08-31-2002, 03:56 PM
GTA 4 is overated

Final Fantasy X is a waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better game IMO.

The graphics in GTA 4 don't hold a candle to FFX!

FF all the way baby!

gabriel
08-31-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by happyokay
GTA 4 is overated

FF all the way baby!

I assume you meant GTA3? Anyway,

FFX is overated

Grand Theft Auto 3 is a waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better game IMO.

The graphics in FFX don't hold a candle to GTA3!

GTA all the way baby!

Overlord
08-31-2002, 06:35 PM
GTAIII was never about great graphics.

xXx Beaver xXx:
I think you are a pretty little boy, did the kids at school tease you?

Are you insulting him and complementing him at the same time?

b0b
08-31-2002, 09:48 PM
Rockstar North is DMA they changed there name of the studio. I don't doubt 4 million preorders as GTA 3 has been the biggest driving factor for PS2 sales.

Mikeru83
09-01-2002, 04:06 AM
The heck? Is he talking to me?

Dude, I just bet you're expecting me to say something stupid like, "I think you're a pretty little beaver.", aren't you? Well, there. I said it. Enjoy. :D

By the way, FFX is beautiful, but it isn't displaying as many objects as GTA3 is doing.

GTA and FF overrated? Nah... But that's just my opinion. Heh...

Dr.Nick Riviera
09-01-2002, 05:41 AM
4 million pre orders thats alot but not hard 2 comprehend my brother pre ordered this game about 3 weeks ago. this is the first time I have seen alot of casual gamers pre order a game ppl who I thought would never pre order a game. Just about everybody that has a ps2 that I know of is talking about this game I wouldnt be suprised if this game turns out 2 be as good as the hype that it is getting that it sells more than 13 million copies easy by march next year

Investor27
09-03-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by happyokay
GTA 4 is overated

FF all the way baby!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaagree! FFX's graphic is much better than GTA3. GTA3 can't get past 20 FPS most of the time. But we can't compare the two games, because they are of different genre. I like FFX much more than GTA3, and would have loved to see FFX do as well as GTA3 did. As for the 4 million pre-order games of GTA3: VC, I believe it when I see it. This would make this game the largest pre-sold videogame ever (in the US or Japan). If this is true, hopefully we can get the Japanese developers to look into releasing their products here in the US first rather than 6 months after their Japanese releases.

Mikeru83
09-04-2002, 04:58 AM
If this is true, hopefully we can get the Japanese developers to look into releasing their products here in the US first rather than 6 months after their Japanese releases.

That, actually wouldn't work. For practicality's sake, I'll keep it short.

You make a better profit selling to the consumers you designed the game for first. Japanese games are designed for Japanese gamers (concept, style, value, etc. [Not to mention they're in Japanese... duh.]) and it would make more sense to see how well your game does before sending it overseas.

If you chose to release it in the U.S. first, that would mean months of delays anyways for translating and other necessary adjustments. Not to mention how the U.S. audience might recieve your game. If things go bad, you're taking a larger loss without anything to back you (Japanese sales).

Same thing for U.S. developers.

Anyways, the Japanese don't care about GTA. No matter it's success, it was all done without the Japanese market.

In case you skipped the whole thing... Simple economics, dude.

b0b
09-05-2002, 07:17 PM
if there are 4 million preorders then i'm betting the japanese gaming public had nothing to do with it, since GTA is popular in the US and Europe, Europeans love GTA as it is developed in Europe, and comparing GT3 to GTA3 is not fair as I'm sure GT3 has shipped a ton of units in all three of the major regions as oppossed to GTA3 which really sold that many copys without the japanese's support, the thing to keep in mind is until last month GTA3 was the best selling game in the US, until somehow Spider Man the Movie pushed it to number 2.

b0b
09-08-2002, 04:59 PM
another reason it's easy to believe is GTA: VC is Amazon.com's number 1 selling item.

FumieHosokawa
09-10-2002, 04:17 PM
Wouldn't be the first time journalists and so-called experts have sourced 'Net rumors, but Reuters did run an article today that documented the 4-mil number:

http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=technologynews&StoryID=1433494

When I first mentioned it to a GameStop manager, he swore their pre-orders were only in the 80-thou range. Still, $350 million is nothing short of phenomenal for GTA3. Eddie Murphy, Arnold Schwarzenegger and all those other washed-up Hollywood celebs ought to be put to pasture and traded in for videogames.

b0b
09-10-2002, 08:04 PM
well the report said close to 4 million, it doesnt really matter the important fact is that rockstar is expecting a 25% sales increase in total vs GTA3 so 7 mill for GTA3 so they guessing 8.5-9.0 mill for VC, which seems highly realistic considering it's the same brillant game forumala with a year of enchancements to the engine added, I just wish the Gouranga would come back and the Pay & Spray shops that let you get oil slicks, tire spikes, and machine guns mounted on your car. as for the preorders i'm not worried I'm getting mine this weekend and I'll be stalking the mall all day on the 29 until Software Etc has it in then it's off to my house for a day filled with tire poping, helicopter flying, katana weilding action.

Dr.Nick Riviera
09-11-2002, 05:44 AM
yea cant wait till the 29th

japanifan
09-13-2002, 06:48 AM
wow and here i thought one version of GTA was repetitive enough they go and make a semi-sequel. oh well as long as i aint one of those four million people ill be ok.

crazytaxinext
09-13-2002, 10:59 AM
I feel sorry for you....

b0b
09-14-2002, 07:04 PM
japanifan, I feel sorry for you as we'll, I guess stealing cars and shooting people with extensive assortments of armements isn't your thing, maybe you'd be more interested in a Mary Kate and Ashley game =)

aneep
09-14-2002, 08:58 PM
for whats it worth (probably not a lot heh:)) i'm not that thrilled about GTA: VC too, so japanifan is not alone

never got into games like carmageddon either

mary kate and ashley...emm now you're talking my kind of game

no not really, what kind of game would mary kate and ashley be in anyway?

-aneep-