PDA

View Full Version : It's t3h ch1ckens!

Kid0_oIcarus
08-27-2002, 02:32 PM
From TechTV.com
Faster Chips With Chicken Feathers

Method of harnessing quicker computing power is no feather-brained idea.

By Peter Barnes, Tech Live Washington, DC, bureau chief

Computers could be getting a whole lot faster, thanks to chickens -- or, rather, their feathers, which turn out to make great conductors when they're pressed into circuit boards for computer chips. Tonight's "Tech Live" reports.

"It was not exactly a feather-brained idea," said Richard Wool, director of the Affordable Composites from Renewable Sources (ACRES) program at the University of Delaware in Newark, Delaware. "They'll be about 50 percent lighter, which is good. In terms of speed, they will be about 50 percent faster."

Scientists at the campus' composites lab have experimented with many natural materials for making composites, from soybeans to flax. Composites are alternatives to the usual fabrication materials such as wood, steel, and aluminum. Last year, researchers decided to try -- what the heck -- chicken feathers.

Plucky idea

"The feathers themselves are quite strong," Wool said. They're also hollow and filled with air, one of the best conductors of electrons.

The feather fibers are stripped from the quills, pressed together into mats, mixed with a special type of soybean oil, pressed again into hard boards, and then cut down into small boards for circuits.

"For electronic circuits, it's the air that we are running on -- thin air," Wool said.

Researchers said that with chicken feathers in plentiful supply, the circuit boards would be cheap to produce. One 12-square-inch panel contains almost a half-pound of feather fibers. Poultry companies are already lining up to be suppliers, Wool says.

"A leading engineer from Tyson Foods called me up and said, 'Professor Wool, how would you like 2 billion pounds of feathers?'" Wool said.

Wool says he can't estimate what the circuit boards may eventually cost.

The scientists still have more research to do to make sure the feather circuit boards will meet computer industry performance standards. But with the right manufacturing partners, Wool says, the boards could be commercialized within two years.

Posted July 29, 2002

Neat huh? I can't wait for my Soltek-Tyson Board!

Black Ace
08-27-2002, 03:23 PM
Okay...

Penance
08-27-2002, 09:14 PM
I thought you were going to stop with the 1337 talk, Kid0_oIcarus?

And Chicken is great.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-28-2002, 08:18 AM
Nah, I bust 0ut every /\/ow an th3n

Can't hold it in all the time, you understand...

Overlord
08-28-2002, 07:45 PM
Kid0_oIcarus:
Nah, I bust 0ut every /\/ow an th3n

Can't hold it in all the time, you understand...

Man, that sounds so...dirty.

...Somethings should be left untold.

Penance
08-29-2002, 12:09 AM
Well, I never had the urge to post in 1337 on an internet message board. But I guess I can understand...?

xXx Beaver xXx
08-29-2002, 04:33 AM
Penance, its okay. Kid Icarus is a different type of guy.

They didn't know if he was a mole or a baby dog when he was born, but they have that all cleared up now!

Chicken feathers? Cool!

- Triple X Beaver :spinface:

Overlord
08-30-2002, 10:39 PM
xXx Beaver xXx:
Penance, its okay. Kid Icarus is a different type of guy.

They didn't know if he was a mole or a baby dog when he was born, but they have that all cleared up now!

Wow, I never knew that about you Kid0_oIcarus. You don't need to hide from us anymore. We're here for you. My condolences... :(

xXx Beaver xXx
09-01-2002, 01:07 AM
I guess he was too shy to tell everyone, but I was there for him at the time and he told me all...

- Triple X Beaver :spinface:

Penance
09-01-2002, 02:37 AM
I haven't seen Kid0_oIcarus post in a few days. I think he knows that we found out the truth.

And what did you two actually do after he told you this, Beaver?

Kid0_oIcarus
09-09-2002, 08:38 PM
Hehe, sorry I forgot about this post :D

Anyway.. lemme just say- everyone here's heard the story of da ugly duckling, r1ght?

Well see- that is the story of Beavester's life.. except.. he stayed ugly. bloops!

Me? I turned out just fine. Penance, you don't have to get jealous- all we did was talk ;)