PDA

View Full Version : ps2's best games?

pelican
11-12-2004, 11:48 AM
i'm about to trade in my xbox and gamecubes as there is little on the horizon that interests me, so i shall be purchasing myself a pstwo. perhaps the title is a little misleading, as i'm not particularly interested in hitman, gta and the like. i'm definitely picking up ico and final fantasy, but do you know any other games that you would recommend to me? the more obscure the btter, and i would also appreciate it if someone could inform me of what eyetoy software is worth purchasing. thanks in advance guys :)

Dr. Bombay
11-12-2004, 12:17 PM
You're gonna miss your gamecube and Xbox.

folken001
11-12-2004, 12:19 PM
i'm about to trade in my xbox and gamecubes as there is little on the horizon that interests me, so i shall be purchasing myself a pstwo. perhaps the title is a little misleading, as i'm not particularly interested in hitman, gta and the like. i'm definitely picking up ico and final fantasy, but do you know any other games that you would recommend to me? the more obscure the btter, and i would also appreciate it if someone could inform me of what eyetoy software is worth purchasing. thanks in advance guys :)
I really like cookie and creams. It's a co-op game. Cute, kiddie but it is really fun.
Ace Combat 5 is really good too.

Messanic
11-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Do not trade in your xbox and gcn!!! The idea is just insane, I'll admit that getting a pstwo is a very good investment, but do not trade in your gcn and xbox for one. Now for the good games...

Ps2
Bujingai
Final Fantasy X(XII is around the corner)
Kingdom Hearts(2 is on its way)
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter
Samurai Warriors(also on xbox)
Contra Shattered Soldier
Wild Arms 3
Front Mission 4
Disgaea
La Pucelle
Phantom Brave
DDR Max 1, 2, and Extreme
Eye Toy Groove
Sonic Mega Collection +(also on xbox)
Devil May Cry(3 is coming soon)
Metal Gear Solid 2+3(2 substance is on xbox too)
Bloody Roar 4
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection(also on xbox)
King of Fighters double pack 2000/2001
King of Fighters double pack 2002/2003
Star Ocean 3
Tekken Tag Tournament(Tekken 5 coming soon)
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution(Final Tuned is coming soon)
Shin Megami Tensei Noctourne
and so on...

Icarus4578
11-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Let's see here....

Playstation 2
Castlevania ~ Lament of Innocence - Rating 4
Contra ~ Shattered Soldier - Rating 6 :thumb-up:
Devil May Cry - Rating 8 :cool guy:
Final Fantasy X - Rating 0
Final Fantasy X-2 - Rating 0
Gradius V - Rating 8 :cool guy:
Grand Theft Auto 3 - Rating 5
Guilty Gear X2 - Rating 7 :thumb-up:
Kingdom Hearts - Rating 3
King of Fighters ~ Maximum Impact - Page #58 - Rating 5
Klonoa 2 ~ Lunatea's Veil - Rating 8 :cool guy:
Mega Man Anniversary Collection - Rating #49 - Rating 6 :thumb-up:
Onimusha 3 ~ Demon Siege - Rating 6 :thumb-up:
Rygar ~ The Legendary Adventure - Rating 4 (Fourth Review)
SNK vs Capcom Chaos (import) - Rating 5 (Review by Freeman)
Soul Calibur 2 - Rating 7
Virtua Fighter 4 - Rating 8 :cool guy:
Xenosaga ~ Der Wille zur Macht - Rating 1

Although that's all the PS2 games I've reviewed at the moment, there are some more good titles. Don't leave out the new Gran Turismo and Ys VI.

pelican
11-12-2004, 12:34 PM
guys, ive thought about it for a while, and i havent played my xbox in over a year and theres nothing except for dk jungle beat that interests me in gc's future.

devil may cry 3 looks fabulous, and i'm quite interested in star ocean 3 but i'm not too sure what it's like. not interested in beat 'em ups or platformers by the way.what's kingdom hearts about, ther name sounds interesting is it an rpg?

Icarus4578
11-12-2004, 12:36 PM
DMC is brilliant work. I hope DMC3 at least equals it.

pelican
11-12-2004, 12:41 PM
thanks for the help icarus but i was just wondering why you rated square-enix's games so low?

Messanic
11-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Yes, Kingdom Hearts is an action rpg, the ps2 is right up your ally, it has a bunch of rpg's for you to play. Icarus doesn't like many games from square past FF7, but thats ok, he's been gaming long before we were.

pelican
11-12-2004, 01:22 PM
sounds great, i really want to play radiata stories when it comes out, such a beautiful-looking game. i don't mean to sound like a whinge but i'd prefer if people listed about five at most games and give descriptions along with the title, because a long list of titles means very little to me sorry. is final fantasy x-2 worth purchasing, or would i be better off with kingdom hearts or star ocean?

Dr. Bombay
11-12-2004, 02:28 PM
...interesting.

Well anyway, I'd suggest FFX before FFX-2 and probably star ocean before FFX-2 as well. FFX-2 is only for people who are: 1.) 12 year old girls. 2.) Confident in their masculinity. 3.) die hard FFX fans who need closure. It's not the best RPG ever, it's not the worst. But there are some moments which will make you feel ashammed for playing it (ie: "The world is about to end and there's nothing we can doa bout it. LET'S THROW A CONCERT!!!"

Kingdom Hearts is a must play, though you may become of one the great unwashed masses who thinks it sucks because a lot of disney characters are involved with it.

pelican
11-12-2004, 02:40 PM
girly and disney themes don't put me off, in fact i'd quite like to play something a bit different, this industry is quite reluctant to take chances on games that aren't a) cutesy kiddie games or b)"mature" ultraviolentgames, might buy them just to support square-enix's decision to experiment wiht the industry's formula.

Dr. Bombay
11-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Xenosaga has a wonderful story filled with various twists and turns. However, as a game, it sucks horribly. So you might just wanna get the upcomming anime instead.

DarknessTearv2
11-13-2004, 02:30 AM
Aww come on Bombay, don't tell them to ignore the game completely. You get a perfectly good Xeno fix for only 20 bucks now. It's worth the money, just buy it. Also, episode 2 is out on the 15th of February and rumor tells that if you pre-order it you get a director's cut DVD of episode 1. It's supposedly 4 hours long.

girly and disney themes don't put me off, in fact i'd quite like to play something a bit different, this industry is quite reluctant to take chances on games that aren't a) cutesy kiddie games or b)"mature" ultraviolentgames, might buy them just to support square-enix's decision to experiment wiht the industry's formula.

Star Ocean 3 is worth MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY hours of gameplay and exceeds most games in length today. I'd say it'd be a much better choice compared to FFX-2, however if you did want FFX-2 I'd get a used copy if I were you. The game is mediocre as far as fights go and really the ONLY good point is that you see what finally happens at the (hopefully) true ending.

Drunken Savior
11-13-2004, 02:42 AM
This game is also on X-Box, but it's one of my favorite games of all time....SILENT HILL 2! It's the only game where I felt like I could discuss it next to classic literary titles, there is symbolism all through the game.

DarknessTearv2
11-13-2004, 02:49 AM
I played Silent Hill 1 and 4 but skipped the middle two, I guess I should try out Silent Hill 2 afterall.. but I kinda hate the series after playing 4.

Dr. Bombay
11-13-2004, 03:29 AM
Aww come on Bombay, don't tell them to ignore the game completely. You get a perfectly good Xeno fix for only 20 bucks now. It's worth the money, just buy it. Also, episode 2 is out on the 15th of February and rumor tells that if you pre-order it you get a director's cut DVD of episode 1. It's supposedly 4 hours long.

Why? It's true. Xenosaga is one of hte most broken RPG's I've ever played. If it wasn't for the storyline which proved to be excellent, I would have traded it in after 3 days. It has the worst battle system and the worst stat management system I've ever experienced. I didn't think you could get much more retarded than FF8's junction system. I was wrong. It's so fustrating, they just threw in the ability to kill any monster or any boss at any time for any reason anywhere because to continue the storyline without it would be too annoying.

pelican
11-13-2004, 04:17 AM
xenosaga doesn't sound like my cup of tea, too man cutscenes and a dodgy battle system don't really sound like my idea of fun. i'm not sure if it got a pal release anyway.

has anyone tried out the different eyetoy software, what do you think? also, is wipeout fusion worth a purchase or should i just wait for pure on the psp?

Messanic
11-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Wipeout pure for the psp looks to be a port of the first Wipeout for the saturn and ps1. The saturn version ran at 30 fps while the ps1 version ran at 60, the saturn had better sound and controls, but the ps1 version had better graphics. Port the ps1 version and you get Wipeout Pure. Now as for Wipeout Fusion, thats the best Wipeout there is, get it, it's only $10 brand new in the US.

[M]egaman Ver.6
11-14-2004, 09:13 PM
YOU WILL BUY THIS GAME!!

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/72/26/74/10/0072267410024_500X500.jpg

billybob gamer
12-07-2004, 06:14 PM
MASHED
MASHED
MASHED
MASHED
etc

Entertainer
12-07-2004, 06:39 PM
egaman Ver.6']YOU WILL BUY THIS GAME!!

YESSSSSSS!!!!!

Dr. Bombay
12-07-2004, 07:37 PM
egaman Ver.6']YOU WILL BUY THIS GAME!!

Correction: "I own this"

Vert1
12-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Even I bought that game...and I don't own PS2.

Buy Contra:Shattered Soldier!

j_factor
12-07-2004, 08:18 PM
I would definitely recommend Gitaroo Man, if you like music games at all.

Rez is an amazing game. If you don't have a DC, the PS2 version is just fine.

Black Sugar
12-08-2004, 04:58 PM
guys, ive thought about it for a while, and i havent played my xbox in over a year and theres nothing except for dk jungle beat that interests me in gc's future.

devil may cry 3 looks fabulous, and i'm quite interested in star ocean 3 but i'm not too sure what it's like. not interested in beat 'em ups or platformers by the way.what's kingdom hearts about, ther name sounds interesting is it an rpg?

That's a good ideas. While there's isn't as much good games in PS2 compare Xbox or Gamecube. I guess this is only a matter of preference in the end.

Nephlabobo
12-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Hmm - best? Here's stuff I would recommend you check out.
Most of this you can probably pick up pretty cheap now

Silent Hill 2 :cool guy: :thumb-up:
Ico :cool guy: :thumb-up:
Final Fantasy X
GTA III
Mister Mosquito
Katamary Damacy :thumb-up: :cool guy:
Onimusha 1/3
Robot Alchemic Drive
Shadow Hearts
Tekken Tag Tournament
Xenosaga