PDA

View Full Version : Capcom's Mikami criticized Square and Sony in radio interview

admin
08-25-2002, 03:13 PM
This is a continuation of "Capcom's Mikami goes on record to say Sony makes their consoles to break to increase their installed base. He said he had to buy a 2nd PS2 himself.".

It seems like Capcom's Biohazard producer Mikami has made a lot more criticisms toward Square and Sony in the recent online radio program in Japan:

1. He expressed that Square's Kingdom Hearts is selling so well because of the "Aura Purcahse", i.e. people buy this game because his/her friends are playing the same game, despite whether he/she likes the game or not. He said Kingdom Hearts does not deserve the 780,000+ sales, it doesn't worth the 7800 yen price tag.

2. Other than PS2, he mentioned the current PC systems, walkman and Docomo cellphones are very easy to break as well, he said manufacturers purposely make the systems easier to break, so that they have to buy a new one every one or two years.

3. He said he has bought two PlayStation in the past, because the CD lens wears out very quickly. When he played Super Robot Taisen on PSX, it takes one minute to load up each battle, he was so pissed off that he had to get a new PSX to play the game.

4. He said the PS2 is selling so well because many people are buying a second one for replacement.

5. He said "Square please forgive me", because he was so angry that Kingdom Hearts has sold a whole lot more than Biohazard on GameCube (both games released at the same time), he thinks Biohazard is a much better quality game.

Your thoughts?

gabriel
08-25-2002, 03:48 PM
I can see where he's coming from, especially considering that Square and Sony are evil, heartless corporations, but I think it's just sour grapes :)

MoMo
08-25-2002, 07:29 PM
Jealousy, even though i understand how he feels about Biohazard being a higher quality game, because he feels they put a whole lot of time in Biohazard and it turned out that Kingdom Hearts beat their sells.

Zod
08-25-2002, 07:50 PM
Damn; who crapped in Mikami's litter box? Never mind I guess Sony and Square did. It looks like excuse-making to justify giving the other consoles more exclusives. It's very unprofessional to be trash-talking companies who have helped to put a few millions of dollars in his bank account, and a bit mis-leading when considering I don't know a single person with any console problems except for this one guy who got his modded only to have the laser head wear out fast. He ended up buying one of those clear-blue import PS/2's.

I should buy more of his games that do get PS/2 releases because.....................???

He reminds me of Michael Jackson trash-talking Sony to get out of his contract.

grahf
08-25-2002, 07:56 PM
This guy's a hypocrite. He blames Sony and Square because BH didn't sell well in Japan, but look at how it's doing in America; not any better!

What did the guy expect, BH to sell 2million? That's a joke. This game just isn't going to sell millions, and everyone knows it. For one, people have bought enough RE1,2,3,CNV, and countless other shameless remarks. Believe it or not, even the fans are getting weary of the series. Second, this one doesn't even have anything that warrants a purchase in the first place except for the facelit. It's amazing that this game even sold as much as it did.

And who's genius idea was to it put the entire RE series on the GC? Oh that's right, his. What kinda idiot would move a series that sells in the millions with each installment to a system that barely has enough userbase to support even one RE? He should've known that GC will never be as succesful as the PS2, and putting something like this on GC is going to result in failure. The GC just isn't the right audience for these types of games. It's his fault for experimenting.

This guy should get fire for saying so many stupid things. I know Capcom won't be happy about this. Maybe he should stop complaining about the competitions, and put his money where his mouth is and make some good games for a change.

Necro ??
08-25-2002, 08:10 PM
Yeah without Sony that ungreatful little bastard wouldnt be where he is now.He needs to pull his panties out of his wad and look why RE sucked so much on gamecube.

Look at basic facts.

RE started on Sony,it sold millions.
It was ported on pc,i really didnt see high sales
RE2 was ported on N64,once again no riseing sales
Dreamcast with a new game. it sold desent
ported to PS2=greatest hits and still selling

Resident evil seems to only work on Sony systems.I cant wait to see what he'll pull out when people say RE zero sucks cuzz noone wants to play as rebecca."It was Nintendo's idea they forced me to use her! im going to x-box! >:("

Vash
08-25-2002, 10:12 PM
the thing is though ... Resident Evil 0 is not gonna suck ... Mikami has a very good track record ... he usally dosent make bad games ... and i love the original Remake on Gcube.

Black Ace
08-25-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by grahf
This guy's a hypocrite. He blames Sony and Square because BH didn't sell well in Japan, but look at how it's doing in America; not any better!

What did the guy expect, BH to sell 2million? That's a joke. This game just isn't going to sell millions, and everyone knows it. For one, people have bought enough RE1,2,3,CNV, and countless other shameless remarks. Believe it or not, even the fans are getting weary of the series. Second, this one doesn't even have anything that warrants a purchase in the first place except for the facelit. It's amazing that this game even sold as much as it did.

And who's genius idea was to it put the entire RE series on the GC? Oh that's right, his. What kinda idiot would move a series that sells in the millions with each installment to a system that barely has enough userbase to support even one RE? He should've known that GC will never be as succesful as the PS2, and putting something like this on GC is going to result in failure. The GC just isn't the right audience for these types of games. It's his fault for experimenting.

This guy should get fire for saying so many stupid things. I know Capcom won't be happy about this. Maybe he should stop complaining about the competitions, and put his money where his mouth is and make some good games for a change.

^^^ Fanboy talk . :crazy:

RE is doing quite well, it has sold nearly 400,000 units in the US. Its a little over 200,000 in Japan. And I hope with the European release, it will break a million.

Overlord
08-25-2002, 10:49 PM
Bill:
^^^ Fanboy talk . :crazy:

RE is doing quite well, it has sold nearly 400,000 units in the US. Its a little over 200,000 in Japan. And I hope with the European release, it will break a million.

Thats not very mature. And grahf is right on many accounts. Even if REmake breaks the million mark with the Europe sale, the sales are still below expactations. Espicially in Japan.

Pinoy Snake
08-25-2002, 11:11 PM
I respect Mikami, but how he qouted on Sony and Square, he sounds like a complete dumba$$. I understand why he is upset about the console breaking easily but say people buy another sytem cause the orginal one broke is stupid, someone pls tell him their is something called send to company to be repaired or replacing it with another console if there is any problems and recit to prove you bought it to get a new one.

Alucard
08-26-2002, 02:56 AM
grahf, I think saying RE1 is nothing but a facelift shows how little you know about the game and how biased you are against them because, as I see it in your post, you are upset they left Sony. RE1 is about 70% new. Thats alot of effort from just the FACELIFT you seem to think it is. And it sold well on the PSX because it was new. Alot of people didn't buy it either because they think, like you, that it is just a remake with a facelift. Everyone new RE1 would do well, but not REALLY well because it isn't a totally new game. RE0 will be where you see the real sales since its a totally new game. Though I wonder, would it have sold millions if it was on the PS2? I think it would have. Simply because theres alot of biased sony fans out there who will buy almost anything that looks pretty. But it isn't on their console. So they ignore.

And I can understand Mikami's anger. Though surprised he'd show it. I have to buy a second PS2 soon and KIngdom Hearts...no. I dont think it deserves that high a sales either. Theres games that are so much better then it that sell much worse. Why? Cause of the simple brand 'Square'. I wont dispute that its probably a good game. But I think the character design is VERY poor. Though I'd like to ask anyone who got this game.. How many other disney/warner brothers cartoon style featured games do you exactly own? And did you buy KH because of all the other FF characters that make appearances in this game? Though I pretty much know the answer to both for alot of people.

Seska
08-26-2002, 04:45 AM
I Think Mikami is a bit of a gimp, to be honest. Not because of his comments, which in no doubt are a bit spurred by jealousy, but because any IDIOT that knows at elast half a thing or two about the PS2 knows you can buy replacement lenses and motors for the PS2 and replace them with as little as a screwdriver.

Better than buying a new unit, eh?

As for RE 1 on GCN, when the first photos came out, I was truly impressed, and all I heard whas the hype that it would be one of the game that would amke the console sales skyrocket. NEver happened.

I enver liked much remakes anyway, 70% new content or not. Same old story, same old thing, new clothes. Not worth my time, since I already know what to expect, other than lush graphics.

As for KH having a poor Character design.... um, no. ITs a Disney game, and as such watching the Diseny characters move is like watching them move in their movie counterparts. The typical Nomura FF-like character designs were SD'ed to make them more disney like, but most characters in the ghame are Disney anyway, so unless you HATE Disney, the characters are pretty good.

Necro ??
08-26-2002, 04:50 AM
Really? The only "pretty" PS2 game I own is MGS2 and I only got it cuzz I enjoy metal gear,and im not buying KH's cuzz its labeled square.Im buying cuzz it looks fun.Ive had my ps2 for a year and a half never had one problem.Hell i took it apart and put it back togather and its fine.I guess sony forgot to rig mine.

The only reason RE would sell so well on ps2 is cuzz of its high userbase and most of the fans own a ps2.I WAS a resident evil fan and i was dedacated but im not about to go out and waste $200 to play something i already did 4 years ago.Say what you want about how "great" the RE1 remake is on gamecube,the fact of the matter is its the same game.Resident evil 1 is just played out.I'd rather not replay the same game for a 3rd or 4th(if you count GH's) time.

Mikami's just a little whiner who's pissed cuzz nintendo prob promised him big sells and it didnt deliver.So he pulls and MJ and blames it on sony.Hell i cant get a job,it must be sony's falt! damn them for makeing me unemployed.My dog wont potty train it has to be sonys work! damn them again i say! Crap im out of pop....must be sony again,i damn you for a 3rd time you evil money grubbing,pop,stealing,doggy not obaying company!

I certainly wont buy another game made by Mikami,I'm sure it doesnt matter to him but thats $50 extra in my pocket.

Alucard
08-26-2002, 05:20 AM
Well actually in my perspective, the characters in KH ARE bad. I wasn't talking about the animation. I wasn't mentioning Disney characters because you can't change the way they look. I meant the Square characters. They have the same poor design as say someone from a Digimon episode. The hair, the face, the clothes. All look...not polished. Its a certain look they went for, but one that doesn't agree with me. Their SD characters in FF9 make these ones look plain. So I'm sorry, but I'll compare them to the FF9 if you mention SD.

And I dont think the point of the remake is for people who played it 4 years ago to go buy it. It's for all the new people who never got to play it. THE SAME THING Square did with FF 1-2-3-5-6 and Chrono Trigger. Except Capcom put a LITTLE bit more effort into their remake then just slapping CG scenes in them and tossing them out. The game is out for those who have a ps2 that never had a psx. And thats probably quite a few people. The game isn't a simple 'new clothes, prettier grsaphics' thing. The story is the same, yes. But theres a stack more rooms. More puzzles. Old puzzles changed. More added story scenes. The game is so much more. I liked Re1. I found Re2 and 3 to be trash.

Buying a simple laser for your faulty ps2 is an easy thing to do. But how many stores actually sell it? You'd either have to order it online or through sony. Most people think 'Broken system. Buy new system'. Thats how it works. Just because theres another solution doesn't mean it'll be the main one. Whatever is easier and faster is always done first.

Btw Necro, saying you wont buy a game cause Mikami makes it cause he's a 'whiner' is basically the same as the others who say sony is at fault cause of blahlbahlbah like you mentioned. You dont buy something because you love the person. Alot of people hate Bill Gates <for clueless reasons>, yet still use his OS. I'm also wondering if you plan to not touch other games like Onimusha 2 and DMC2. And I dont think Nintendo promised him huge sales. He chose it because he can make games faster and better on it.

Seska
08-26-2002, 05:32 AM
1. As I said, the character designs in KH are Disney-fied FF characters. Sora has big feet, a Big head and a small body, heck, he even moves like he is Donald Duck or something. No surprise as I think the graphic designs in the game were a co-production of the Square graphical designers and the Disney ones, so they are meant to appeal to kids and the Disney loving crowd.

2. A remake to me is a remake. I personally dont find more rooms and puzzles such a huge bonus, the main point in all RE games that drove me to finish them was the story, cheesy as it was, and the creepy feeling walkjing throught he Umbrella mansion was. The reson all consecutive RE games sucked, was because you knew it was all jsut a bloody virus. Not scary anymore. Thats why I like Silent Hill better.

3. PS CD lens replacements are pretty simple to find. If I, a Joe Shmoe can find a shop on the net that easily sells one, I am to assume Mikami, who is in the entertainment business, would have even less problems finding one, least of all installing it. IT doesnt say much about his knowledge on the systems he works with, OR... maybe he just said all that about having to buy a new PS2 because he was being spitefull and annoyed at Sony.

Mikeru83
08-26-2002, 06:42 AM
I'm new here. So here's my take:

>>"1. He expressed that Square's Kingdom Hearts is selling so well because of the "Aura Purcahse", i.e. people buy this game because his/her friends are playing the same game, despite whether he/she likes the game or not. He said Kingdom Hearts does not deserve the 780,000+ sales, it doesn't worth the 7800 yen price tag."<<

The original Resident Evil was bought under the same theoretical 'Aura Purchase'. Most highly hyped games are. Whether or not Kingdom Hearts deserves the sales it gets is none of his business to criticize publically. Especially just because he is "angry" or frustrated at how his own game sales.

>>"2. Other than PS2, he mentioned the current PC systems, walkman and Docomo cellphones are very easy to break as well, he said manufacturers purposely make the systems easier to break, so that they have to buy a new one every one or two years.

3. He said he has bought two PlayStation in the past, because the CD lens wears out very quickly. When he played Super Robot Taisen on PSX, it takes one minute to load up each battle, he was so pissed off that he had to get a new PSX to play the game.

4. He said the PS2 is selling so well because many people are buying a second one for replacement."<<

Mikami should have left his criticism of the quality of electronics at where it was with his second point. His mistake is that instead of keeping it broad and vague, he directs it all at Sony. It's obvious he has issues with Sony. The reality is, all types of machines have companies who make them relatively in bad quality, not just Sony.

>>"5. He said "Square please forgive me", because he was so angry that Kingdom Hearts has sold a whole lot more than Biohazard on GameCube (both games released at the same time), he thinks Biohazard is a much better quality game."<<

All his opinion. Whichever is the better game should not matter. If the sales of Resident Evil(GC) are low, it is wrong to vent his frustrations at companies that are not directly involved with the games sales. In this case, Sony and Square.

>>"Simply because theres alot of biased sony fans out there who will buy almost anything that looks pretty. But it isn't on their console. So they ignore."<<

This is an unfair observation and rather, should be indicated that there are ALL types of console gamers that are biased and ignore games made on other consoles. Not just Sony fans.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-26-2002, 09:58 AM
Obviously Mikami was a little upset for whatever reason when he made these comments. Why are you all taking it to heart? The guy might've had a bad day, then here comes this reporter and asks the right questions... little issues that might have been at the back of his mind are suddenly thrust out into the spotlight making him look like a sullen child.

Get over it.

Who cares what he said? So he attacked Sony? Maybe they had a falling out? Maybe he'd hoped his game would've sold better? As was said in the thread- RE0 is what will decide how the series would do on the GC- not a remake.

I mean, if you poured your heart into a project only to find peeps are passing on it to play another game that is selling well simply because of its license.. wouldn't you be a tiny bit upset, as well? If there was no Square in KH.. would it have sold as well as it did? I doubt it. That's all I think he's saying too.

Sure the comments he made seem a bit childish, but get over it- I'm sure you've all enjoyed some of his games at one point or another. And I know you've all wished in the past that you would've used your head before speaking out- give the guy a break- he's only human.

flamingspiral
08-26-2002, 10:35 AM
The guy might've had a bad day

Having a bad day does not excuse the fact he insulted two huge databases. The fact he can't control his anger just proves he's far to haughty to accomplish anything other then complete embarrassment, through whatever anger decided to spill out. If this was the case, then this just gives me a better reason to hate this riffraff.

Get over it.

This conflict did not hit us personally, rahter surprise us with his pernicious insults. We like to call this a discussion. That's why were expressing what we thought about Mikami's comments.

Who cares what he said?

Obviously 90% of the people who took there time to reply to this thead. Duh.

And I know you've all wished in the past that you would've used your head before speaking out

...And here you are, wildly assuming your own thoughts, attacking the people in this thread because they think differently then you. No, seems like your the one who's not thinking in this situation.

Zod
08-26-2002, 10:42 AM
So what if KH or any other game is out-selling his? Welcome to the world of competition. I'm sure he worked very hard to make his games, but that's no excuse for Mikami to pout like that.

Nindalf
08-26-2002, 11:02 AM
I think that he can say what ever he wants to say.
If he thinks Sony and Square suck or he dosen?t like their games that his right. All we here say what we think about all the game companies and developers so why can?t he?

Even if i was some game guru(I wouldn?t call him game guru though) If i wouldn?t like some game or Game company i would say it. Every one got right for their own opinion!

Kid0_oIcarus
08-26-2002, 11:47 AM
Exactly, every one here can and does have their own opinions.. many of us should be glad that we don't happen to have a microphone or tape recorder in front of us when we express some of our more colorful ones.

Btw, when did people become so easily offended, that my broad and generally true statement, aimed at no one in particular, can actually be perceived as an attack? I ask, did anyone else but Daft, take offense at that last sentence? Speak out, by all means- why, I feel we all have a right to, remember- everyone has a right to free speech.. yes, even stupid speech can be considered free speech.

The man (Mikami) obviously had a rough day.. I don't know him personally, so I cannot comment if this is the way he always is or what- but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.. it's my opinion that this is more of a less heart-attack inducing way of living your life, than to get worked up over every little matter, such as what some game developer said about a companies that don't even care about you.

If anything, we should be discussing the points he brought up (which was done to a certain extent), and not focus on what an ass he may or may not be. It's pretty obvious that his comments, in the way they were quoted, seem ridiculously childish, especially coming from someone as "acclaimed" as he. That's been done, it's true- they're pretty sad.. now we can move on to the other points, don't you agree?

Alucard
08-26-2002, 03:02 PM
He definately had a rough day by the sounds of it. And I'm sure it might look less harsh had we the chance to see the questions and the rest of the interview. But in the end it all comes down to RE0. Thats the game thats going to show what he's truly made of. And they say the game looks better then RE1. The clips certainly show it. I'm dying for this game personally.

admin
08-26-2002, 03:49 PM
The radio DJ didn't ask a lot of questions, most of the time Mikami just keeps talking on his own, at one point the DJ had to interrupt him and moved into a different subject because his speech was getting too "dangerous", when he said "it's almost like committing a crime..." to purposely make the system to break easily.

Mikami was upset because even some of the staffs in Capcom were playing Kingdom Hearts instead of Biohazard, and after a while, more and more people started to play the same game. That's where he came up with the "Aura Purcahse" idea.

Again, from his reactions, it seems to me this could be one of the main reason why he develops the entire Biohazard series exclusively on Gamecube instead of PS2.

aneep
08-26-2002, 04:01 PM
try finding transcript for that interview peeps!

or listen to the interview yourself in u can understand Japanese

yeah maybe when the admin put it in points forms it seems that its the only things he talks about

but he also speaks about many other things in that interview besides the Square/Sony comments

-aneep-

Mikeru83
08-26-2002, 04:33 PM
Well, that's all we can actually make points on, because that's all we know of the interview. The article posted on Magic Box not once mentions RE Zero, so why is it all of a sudden all about RE Zero? This interview, or what was posted here is mostly about his problems with other companies.

Mikami's comments could bother me less, because it's his own opinions. What DOES interest me is that his criticisms are aimed at companies who have no direct affect to his game's sales. Yes, it could indeed mean that he is having a falling out with Sony. It could mean all sorts of things, and that's what we should be discussing. Quite possibly, he could decide to refuse to work with Sony from now on. Or maybe this is a response to some action Sony took that may have forced Mikami to respond in a bad way? Or, in the end, he could just be having a bummer of a day.

His comments still have news-worthiness. Considering the RE series moved onto the GC awhile back, Mikami's comments may reveal something about the personal workings behind these game companies.

Sure, everyone has a right to their own opinions. So why can't people express their feelings about Mikami's comments? I find it rather unfair that people are saying that he has a right to say what he wants and then tell anyone who disagrees that they shouldn't even bother responding because it meaningless to them?

So I apply the same logic back. There are people who dislike Mikami now. Why should you care enough to respond?

Kid0_oIcarus
08-26-2002, 05:01 PM
Hullo? We're still talking about Mikami's coments and how they made him sound silly and such. No one is forcing anyone to keep their mouths shut on this issue.

I just stepped in and tried to put certain views in perspective that others seemed quick to overlook. Like I said, I don't even know the guy personally, nor do I really care to, but sometimes we all just have bad days and whatnot.

Feel free to discuss his comments, or simply pipe in to say how little you think of the man- it's all good. Just remember not to be quick to judge others.... lest y3 be judg3d or something like th4t :D

Mikeru83
08-26-2002, 05:05 PM
Okay.

Mikami is a little little man. I am taller than him. I feel better now. :D

flamingspiral
08-26-2002, 07:20 PM
Feel free to discuss his comments, or simply pipe in to say how little you think of the man

Thanks for your permission. :rolleyes:

hgblob
08-26-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Admin
Mikami was upset because even some of the staffs in Capcom were playing Kingdom Hearts instead of Biohazard, and after a while, more and more people started to play the same game. That's where he came up with the "Aura Purcahse" idea.

This seems to me to be a rather silly reason to blast KH's sales. What, does he expect every member of his staff to play his games only?

In any event, his tirade does not reflect well on him. He's a representative of Capcom, for crying out loud. What he does and says in the public eye affects not only himself, but Capcom's own corporate image.

Alucard
08-27-2002, 01:03 AM
I think Capcom will live. They're already pretty much a disgusting topic when it comes to their game ports in Europe. I doubt a little bit of slagging off at another comany will matter much. If anything it'll probably do the reverse. Might get people to take notice at what he's saying and try out his games for themselves. I dont think anyones childish enough to not buy a capcom game anymore just because of his comments. Try being forced to buy PAL versions of Capcom games then maybe you'll have a reason to be upset.

I at least find the comments amusing. And I say good on him for speaking out instead of cowering in a corner at the big two. Sega and Konami owns them both anymore.

Pause
08-27-2002, 01:14 AM
Sounds like Makami is biting the hand that fed him. His entire series would be nowhere if it wasn't for Sony & the PS1. I'd like to see what RE would have looked like built from the ground up for N64, ack. Fact remains though that Capcom decided to pull the series away from the fans that made it what it is, and put it on a system that has a tiny installed base compared to the PS/PS2. They'll have to live with it. And if RE0 sells like the remake sold, I wouldn't be surprised to see Makami eating crow & putting it out on PS2.....where it should have been in the first place.

Alucard
08-27-2002, 05:27 AM
Thats basically what the proper response for someone who probably only owns a ps2. This sort of thing happens all the time. It's not biting then hand that feeds you. The console didn't make RE. Capcom did it and also advertised it. A developer makes games where they expect to make good sales and also on the hardware they seem to enjoy making the game on. RE1, normal one, is already on the psx. So its logical to take it to a different console. Besides, I wouldn't say GC is a bad place to go. Square, who originated on the SNES where they were 'made' I guess, decided to make games for Nintendo again. They will only make games where they think they will make a profit. So if its good enough for Square, I think its good enough for Capcom.

Seska
08-27-2002, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Alucard
And I say good on him for speaking out instead of cowering in a corner at the big two.

True, but I think there's a difference between constructive criticism and mudslinging, and his was certainly not the former. That he is decided dogheadedly not to develop for Sony anymore because of such petty reasons seems highly unprofessional to me.

Does anyone have a link to a transcript or the whole interview in Audio? I?d like to listen/read it for myself.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-27-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Daft

Thanks for your permission. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it was awfully nice of me to do this for you, wasn't it?
Aren't I just grand? :spinface:

Anyway, back on topic- but are those the only reasons he's not developing for Sony? Maybe there's more that we don't know? I wonder... are we even sure he's no longer developing for Sony?

All these questions.. so little answers..

Alucard
08-27-2002, 12:33 PM
I think some are getting carried away here. Capcom still make plenty of games for the PS2. Onimusha/DMC and all their sequels are only for the PS2. Thats more exclusives then any console they make games for.

Besides, they're all too polite for my liking. Always things like, they make good games. Very good stories. Long tradition of good games. I want to see a little PC developer mentality coming in, which is more what Mikami did. Your game sux0rz STFU mines l33t.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-27-2002, 01:11 PM
Right? That's what we need more of- Japanese games with attitudes! :D

aneep
08-27-2002, 04:28 PM
i read the transcripts for that interview

nice read

and i agree with him about what KH, u guys have to listen to this yourself

he's not really blaming Square, but he is saying that japanese public in general are sheeps, he also gave example that many of them wears Beckham's hairstyle now after the Worldcup ;)

-aneep-

Zod
08-27-2002, 05:02 PM
Regardless, insulting people just because they made a different choice than he would have liked is no way to win customers. Since most gamers don't only buy one game, and many don't only buy one console, for all he knows half the KH owners do have the BH remake.

Pause
08-27-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Pause
Sounds like Makami is biting the hand that fed him. His entire series would be nowhere if it wasn't for Sony & the PS1. I'd like to see what RE would have looked like built from the ground up for N64, ack. Fact remains though that Capcom decided to pull the series away from the fans that made it what it is, and put it on a system that has a tiny installed base compared to the PS/PS2. They'll have to live with it. And if RE0 sells like the remake sold, I wouldn't be surprised to see Makami eating crow & putting it out on PS2.....where it should have been in the first place.

Nah, I own PS2, Xbox & DC (and GBA). I prefer my PS2, but that's just because of the games I've been playing. I'm not trying to make a big deal about this, it's already gotten enough attention. Makami is pissed. Big whoop. He'll continue to publish games for PS2 because that is where he'll make the most money. He did produce DMC, didn't he? And he did make a good amount of money off of it. That's why I think he's biting the hand that feeds him. I'd wager that if he started making all of his games for Xbox & GC, he wouldn't be making the money he is, especially on Japanese releases. Then we'd inevitably see Street Fighter the Movie Game 2, so Capcom could get back some of the money they lost. And nobody wants to see SFtMG2!

Pause
08-27-2002, 09:20 PM
Thats basically what the proper response for someone who probably only owns a ps2. This sort of thing happens all the time. It's not biting then hand that feeds you. The console didn't make RE. Capcom did it and also advertised it. A developer makes games where they expect to make good sales and also on the hardware they seem to enjoy making the game on. RE1, normal one, is already on the psx. So its logical to take it to a different console. Besides, I wouldn't say GC is a bad place to go. Square, who originated on the SNES where they were 'made' I guess, decided to make games for Nintendo again. They will only make games where they think they will make a profit. So if its good enough for Square, I think its good enough for Capcom.

Nah, I own PS2, Xbox & DC (and GBA). I prefer my PS2, but that's just because of the games I've been playing. I'm not trying to make a big deal about this, it's already gotten enough attention. Makami is pissed. Big whoop. He'll continue to publish games for PS2 because that is where he'll make the most money. He did produce DMC, didn't he? And he did make a good amount of money off of it. That's why I think he's biting the hand that feeds him. I'd wager that if he started making all of his games for Xbox & GC, he wouldn't be making the money he is, especially on Japanese releases. Then we'd inevitably see Street Fighter the Movie Game 2, so Capcom could get back some of the money they lost. And nobody wants to see SFtMG2!

Penance
08-27-2002, 11:11 PM
They will only make games where they think they will make a profit. So if its good enough for Square, I think its good enough for Capcom.

Alucard, I wouldn't call one new game for the GameCube a movement for Square. Capcom is not making more money on the Cube. Square will make money of the GBA with ports of there classics, not with FFCC.

Unless I read your post wrong, then I apologize.

Alucard
08-28-2002, 12:25 AM
Well no, you didn't read it wrong. Though I must admit I didn't explain myself too well either. Usually it takes 1 mega game to get people to buy a console. I mean I ignored the PS2 untill GT3 came out. Everyones the same. And as we all know about Mikami's labelling the japanese people 'sheep', they are the same when it comes to Square or Enix. I'm thinking 1 game from Square on GC is a huge thing. 1 leads to 2. 2 leads to most likely full support. I'm curious to see how the system sells after the new title comes out.

flamingspiral
08-28-2002, 01:08 AM
Yeah, that is true. One huge game can lead to great amounts of hype. I've pretty much ignored the Gamcube for a long time. Though that will all change when Metroid Prime is released, thus the results of me buying a Gamecube, just to play this magnificent game. (if so)

Mikeru83
08-28-2002, 04:06 PM
I doubt the new game leads to full support on the GC. IMO I think the game is being used to test the waters to see if GC is a viable console to make money on. And if this new game is a system seller, good for Nintendo. It just makes the point more obvious that all people are slaves to the name brands.

And as for Mikami, if he thinks Japanese people are sheep, then that's his problem. I guess he can continue to expect all of his games being outsold by Square. (sarcasm) That's great logic to compete with in an industry like this... Although, I guess if more people buy GCs, with the new Square game coming, they are viable purchasers of his RE games... So maybe he should be happy? (end sarcasm)

I don't see how Mikami making comments like this are good. Attitude or not, everything he said was unproductive and at the same time, probably had no effect.

hgblob
08-29-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by aneep
he's not really blaming Square, but he is saying that japanese public in general are sheeps, he also gave example that many of them wears Beckham's hairstyle now after the Worldcup ;)

-aneep-

Still, if the Japanese gamers are sheep for buying a game that they like, why should he be so sore? Isn't that pretty much how the Biohazard series gets its sales, too? He sounds so petty for making all this noise just because the Japanese gamers aren't being sheep for _his_ game.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-29-2002, 11:02 AM
Well that's just it, I don't think he's referring to sales of the game because players like the game vs. a bunch of fans blindly following another Square RPG again..

Rubeus
08-29-2002, 02:24 PM
No, Mikami has indeed refered to the sales of Kingdom Hearts. He said he is not happy to see the game selling so well, and the reason behind it is all because the Japanese are sheep (Aura purchase), they keep buying the same game because everybody else does.

hgblob
08-29-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Rebeus
No, Mikami has indeed refered to the sales of Kingdom Hearts. He said he is not happy to see the game selling so well, and the reason behind it is all because the Japanese are sheep (Aura purchase), they keep buying the same game because everybody else does.

That's how word of mouth works, right? Someone plays a game and likes it, he tells his friends to give it a go. They buy it, play and like it, they then tell their other friends to buy the title as well. And so on and so forth.

Other gamers, perhaps those who aren't familiar with the genre, see that it's selling well, so they figure that the game must be doing something right. They try it and they may find that they really like it, they tell their friends, etc.

What's the wrong that Mikami perceives in that chain of events? If the game is bad, it won't result in that much sales (even if it is a Square game). For his 'Aura Purchase' hypothesis to work, reviews of the game should show that KH isn't all that despite the sales numbers. However, even a cursory look at reviews -- both from professional and everyday gamers -- show that KH really is good. Meaning that the high sales are justified.

Sour grapes from Shinji Mikami, as has been stated in this thread before.

Pikachu
09-02-2002, 03:11 AM
No matter what he says I am still planning to get Kingdom Hearts, I hope the game is not too "long", i.e. I can save the game frequently so I can come finish it bit by bit.

However I don't have plan to get Resident Evil or Resident Evil 0 though, it's not my type of game. Not that it's scary but I don't really like these survival horror games. I rather watch than play.

Black Sugar
09-02-2002, 11:35 AM
Even trough KH look beautiful. I can't put up with the idea to see Disney characters in a Square game.

I still doesn't agree with what Mikami said, but it seem to me that KH is more of a big markting project for both disney and Square (who both losing a lot of money this past few years) than nothing else.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-02-2002, 12:26 PM
This thread still here?

Hmm, while I don't mind Disney & Square together.. I won't be able to sample it since I don't own a PS2.. Maybe they'll do it again for my GC... maybe.. :D

Anyway, is the game really that good though? I've heard mixed reviews.. but then again.. that's nothing new..

seriously though, I don't know anything about the story- or gameplay- but the game looks just like FFX, except they threw in a bunch of Disney toons and tooned up a bit... That's one of my gripes with Square at the moment though.. maybe the FF game on GC will set Square "Jr" in the right direction..

EDIT: I was wrong.. KH is not just like FFX.. sorry 'bout that- I have been wisened up to the fact KH is action-centered :D

Investor27
09-03-2002, 11:41 AM
The guy obviously has a beef with Sony. In a country where one is culturally rewarded for a successful product or gets demoted for a dismal failure, the leader of the project honorably takes the full-blunt of the blame for the failure of the product. In this case, Mikami cowardly acted by placing the blame on someone's else, by blaming Sony when he should be blaming himself for making the wrong decision (that ultimately lead to the demise in sales of his Resident Evil 0) to release the game on the Gamecube instead of releasing his products on a much more broader installment base Playstation 2.

Of coure, I could be wrong. Mikami comes across as a brilliant man. So I can't understand why he would do such an dishonorable thing like this. Unless he is trying (really hard) to get fired by Capcom, so that he will be free to pursue more lucrative endeavors. At any rate, this guy has no loyalty. It was Sony who first put his name on the International gaming community's radar. Before Sony let him make Resident Evil for the Playstation, he was a nobody. Capcom would do well to let this guy go, because sooner or later, they will be the end target of his childish, over jealous and very unprofessional, unpredictable, disloyal behavior. Shame shame on you, Mikami. :too mad: :too mad: :too mad:

aneep
09-03-2002, 08:26 PM
blaming Sony?

sheesh go find the transcript guys

u're seriously twisting the interviews here

-aneep-

Kid0_oIcarus
09-04-2002, 09:30 AM
That's what I'm saying! Context, people- context!! I can "quote" anybody here and make them look bad- but perhaps in their original post their in good form!

Always follow the trail.. what is the source? What was the situation? Don't get worked up until you know the whole sotry.. and then.. when you think you do.. stand back and look at the bigger picture.. it'll help you decide things better!

Black Ace
09-06-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Admin

Again, from his reactions, it seems to me this could be one of the main reason why he develops the entire Biohazard series exclusively on Gamecube instead of PS2.

Well Capcom & Nintendo signed a contract last year so that the Biohazard series would remain exclusive to the GameCube, leading up to Biohazard 4, which is said to be the final game in the series. I'm sure this had anything to do with the fact that he has a retribution towards Sony, and about Kigdom Heart. Japan is a crazy market, somtimes game sell just for the fact that it is based on something, while another game is better, wont sell because it is not as recoginizable.

hgblob
09-07-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Bill

Japan is a crazy market, somtimes game sell just for the fact that it is based on something, while another game is better, wont sell because it is not as recoginizable.

Yeah, just like everywhere else in the world :)

Rubeus
09-08-2002, 10:58 PM
I don't quite agree on that, you know that almost all games with Disney characters failed in the Japan market (like Capcom's Disney Golf for PS2, Konami's Disney Sports Soccer for GC, Nintendo's Mickey's Magical Mirror for GC, etc). The only exception is Kingdom Hearts. So it's not the Disney characters that sell the game, it's the quality of the game that attracted the buyers.

Originally posted by Bill

Well Capcom & Nintendo signed a contract last year so that the Biohazard series would remain exclusive to the GameCube, leading up to Biohazard 4, which is said to be the final game in the series. I'm sure this had anything to do with the fact that he has a retribution towards Sony, and about Kigdom Heart. Japan is a crazy market, somtimes game sell just for the fact that it is based on something, while another game is better, wont sell because it is not as recoginizable.

Black Ace
09-09-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Rebeus
I don't quite agree on that, you know that almost all games with Disney characters failed in the Japan market (like Capcom's Disney Golf for PS2, Konami's Disney Sports Soccer for GC, Nintendo's Mickey's Magical Mirror for GC, etc). The only exception is Kingdom Hearts. So it's not the Disney characters that sell the game, it's the quality of the game that attracted the buyers.

Square can only rely on Final Fantasy to sell games. There other games do sell, just not as well because they do not carried the Final Fantast name. Since there are FF characters in Kingdom Hearts, that is why it sell. Heck, Square was able to attract 900K pre-ordered of some handheld system due to the fact that Square announced a port of a SNES FF game for it.

Kid0_oIcarus
09-09-2002, 02:22 PM
Well, I'll say it again- I think he was talking about Square selling games because of Square logo on it.. rather than because they're like the great games of the past, which they were known for (The games Square's been delivering are still good.. just not as good as they used to be imo)

Healin
09-12-2002, 07:17 AM
I'll say he was probably too worked up.... He's barking at the fact KH sold way better.

What happens if the new RE sells less then the previous series of the title? Is he gonna blame his own team? Blame a lack of media exposure? Advertising? Small console community?

My guess is he won't... and it is probably the same situation here... he'll forget it after sometime. He is after all a full grown adult and he should understand that different games gear towards different audience. He's jus trying to protect his baby. There was so much hype on his game and when sales aren't up to expectations, he jus blew his top.:irked"

Cloud 9
09-12-2002, 11:38 AM
Screw him. Kingdom Hearts is gonna ROCK!:haha:

Investor27
09-12-2002, 02:09 PM
Agree! Playing KH now. This clearly illustrates the awesome talent and ability the programmers at Square have.

nosferatu
09-12-2002, 05:46 PM
I'm also wondering if you plan to not touch other games like Onimusha 2 and DMC2. And I dont think Nintendo promised him huge sales. He chose it because he can make games faster and better on it.

umm... i dont think mikami produced the onimusha series, it was some other dude

My opinion on Mikami's comments: like some people mentioned... i dont think it's very professional of him to flame companies that he is currently working with (if those were the actual words/tone he used on the radio). However, if i was in his position i'd be pretty pissed too.

I also believe Kingdom Hearts is just a BIG marketting scheme, but i happen to think that the game is incredibly fun and it's interesting to see disney characters in polygons. I do believe Biohazard is better than KH in terms of quality, but like someone said... it's the same old gameplay, controls, puzzles, zombies and story... and people are tired of this series. I can't wait to play BH zero though, it looks like he added a very interesting gameplay element to the game.

I also think it was not wise making the BH series exclusive to GC (that's just my opinion). It seems like KH should've been on GC and BH should've been on PS2 or Xbox.

Cloud 9
09-15-2002, 03:22 PM
Hey alexhho how are you playing KH when its not even out yet ???

Nemezisx
09-15-2002, 06:20 PM
japanese Ps2 or sometimes Gamestores get sent free copies to display in their stores. Personally im looking foward to it, Im a gamer so i appreciate all aspects of gaming, im not in it for the companies but for my own liesure.
Capcom represented by their Developers are an Amazing company, if Mikimi left and started his own company it would be all over for Capcom, so he sorta has Bragging rights, just like Kojeima(sorry for wrong spelling) he said a while back that he can do anything to Metal gear solid, if he want s to change something he can if he wants to destroy it he can because its" His Game" anyone else remembers this, Konami would be Shattered if he left and Started his own Company called Metal Gear or something to that effect, because he owns it.

Icarus4578
01-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Didn't he come under fire from Capcom and was supposedly going to be fired or something? Could his remarks against Sony have played a big part in this situation?

Zod
01-05-2004, 11:05 AM
He didn't get fired, but he was noticably silent when that gun survivor RE game came out on PS2 and he was looking to make some money off of PS2 customers. I guess he remembered that he was a businessman that's working for a business.

Icarus4578
01-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Yeah, but apparently there was some friction between himself and Capcom at last year's E3 because he didn't even show up, instead appearing on a huge TV screen.

Zod
01-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Probably because CAPCOM was still trying to sell games on the system he was trashing. Just a guess though.

Axe Wielding Nut
01-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Icarus wtf is the matter with you bumping up all these fossil threads?!

Dreamkin
01-06-2004, 09:30 AM
I think Onimusha games are produced by him. DMC2 was done by another team afaik.

Anyway... It is not the system. Not Square. I mean.. The whole idea is stupid to start with. He makes it sound as if Kingdom Hearts is cutting off Biohazard's sales. They are not even remotely similar games. This is like saying Doom III does not really sell too much because of Sims II.

Reread what Seska said. Resident Evil was great. I AM a Resident Evil fan. And rest assured I own a GC and the RE remake is really cool. Have I played it and finished it?... No. Why?... Because I am bored of Resident Evil. It IS the same game. I don't mean it has the same rooms, the same puzzles etc. No... But it IS still the same story and same gameplay.

We have zombies
We have evil technocracy
We have a virus

See I play most of the games because of the story. The story is my main motivation because I am mainly the writer in this business. Yes I get hurt when they change my game design. (for the worse generally) but I get medieval on their ass if they try to change my story. And Resident Evil simply does not have any story at all. I did not even finish Code Veronica... What CAN happen? Maybe that Umbrella is owned by satan? :P

The gameplay is almost the same. The characters move like a tank. It works okay for a horror game. But frankly RE is a horror game with an action game plot. The only fear factor is the BOO!!! factor. You JUMP at the first BOO!... You get uneasy at the second BOO!... The third produces no reaction. After he fourth the boo's make you go... D'OH!....

And here comes a new challanger. RE 4... Leon is infected with a virus. I bet it will be one of those SPECIAL PRODUCTION ones. Like... everyone turns into a zombie when infected. While Leon would turn into a supermutant who slays all the zombies in his path. WOW... Amazing. :kill: Dude I am through with supermutants and ducks in games.

Let's face it. Resident Evil is done for. It is just out of story. There is nothing more to tell. And if there is something to tell it is not really interesting or horrible anymore. So unless someone steps up and RE-invents the series from the start the sales will get lower and lower.

Dreamkin is listening to Scorpions - "White Dove"

Icarus4578
01-06-2004, 09:38 AM
I don't play RE for the storylines, but I did get a kick out of how cheesy the first one's dialogue was. I cannot imagine basing whether or not a game is good on the story. Like I've said before, I play games. Strider 2 didn't have a great story, yet that wouldn't stop me in a million years from enjoying it.

RE is getting tired. Capcom needs to refresh the series by bringing something truly new to the series. Can you imagine if every Mario game from now on played exactly like Sunshine? That would BLOW. Same is true of RE, only RE has less play mechanics and, therefore, needs to be innovated (or at least have some different ideas incorporated) more often.

Seska
01-06-2004, 09:51 AM
I agree 100%. The reason I prefer Silent Hill and Project Zero to RE, is because of the storyline, the mystery, the fear of the unknown. RE, to me, was scary only in the first game, the first time you play it. In a creepy mansion, zombies waling around, mutant spiders and ugly creepy crawlies while you go: WTF!?!? :crazy:

Then near the end you find out its all a virus and go, ok, well, thats cool. However, byt the time you play RE2, you KNOW tis Umbrella and a damn virus. ITs lost that creepy atmosphere cause you KNOW the source of the damn zombies. Then all the games are reduced to are cheap BOO scares like dogs leaping through windows, and it all becomes monotonous from then on, though enjoyable like a cheap Hollywood action blockbuster.

Silent Hill to me is still great fun because it REALLY is seriously screwed up and twisted. Konami are VERY smart not to reveal the whole source of the screwed up beings that inhabit Silent Hill, because once its all explained, the mystery and fear is gone. So instead of cheap scares, they screw with your mind. Insert odd sounds in the least expected moments so your skin will crawl. Make you doubt the world around you, in that the room you just entered might become a room from a Clive Barker vision of HELL the next time you go in.

The only drawback of SH games is that they are too damn short.

Icarus4578
01-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Somewhat true, but even still the gameplay could use something new.

I just thought up a good concept for a new RE. Flesh out the story whatever way you'd like, but it has nothing at all to do with a T-Virus infecting people and turning them into zombies. It would be about an old manor that resides near a ravine somewhere down the back of it, and an old church with a graveyard across from it (the church, that is). The manor would be huge and would resemble a castle on its facade in many ways.

The person you're playing as is a police officer who was just returning from an unfortunate accident. An officer he knows was doing his usual rounds when he came across what he thought was somebody messing around in the cemetary and went to check it out but hasn't been heard from since. So he goes to investigate later that evening.

The manor has been boarded up and has a goverment warning sign that warns that people are to keep away or risk arrest, and a huge padlock on the front entrance. While investigating around the area he hears something from inside the manor and decides to check it out, so he shoots the lock off and enters the manor.

The game would be more about the paranormal and would feature an insane person that still lurks the passages in the old deceitful building who would appear on occasion. There'd also be ghostly apparitions and a demonic possession (perhaps of the missing officer). Bullets wouldn't harm it nor the ghosts. There'd also be stuff to do in the church, the graveyard, an insane asylum secretly placed in the basement, and more. There'd be zero zombies or huge lizard creatures with long arms and such.

It's just an instant idea, but I kinda like it.

Seska
01-06-2004, 10:18 AM
But its RE! It HAS to ahve either:

1. Zombies
2. Lizard-people with long arms, or
3. Umbrella!

I'd go with Umbrella. Maybe the church/asylum is a reserach station where Umbrella scientists have been trying to tap into the mystic and paranormal worlds to use it as a source of energy or power for some ultimate weapon! Of course, something along the line went awfully wrong and the station is slowly merging with the spirit realm for.. HELL ON EARTH! That would give Capcom a good excuse to dump the whole Zombie crap and go the Fatal Frame/Silent Hill way. :D

One can only dream..

Dreamkin
01-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Back when I was working full time for Stillpsycho (a small develoment team in Turkey) I had a nice story based horror game idea. The project name was simply "Ghost". It would be 3rd person game without a 1st person seen on the screen. But money problems kicked our butt... Anyway. Has no correlation but me and one of the artists that used to work for them are thinking of turning it into a Internet Comicbook story. All the survival horror fans might be interested. (total no profit, fun project)

Dreamkin is listening to Guns'n'Roses - "Paradise City"

Icarus4578
01-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Seska, that's always a possibility. What are the chances of something cool like that happening? Nil to none I'd wager.... Capcom's lost its cool, at least for the RE series. Let's pray that part 4 redeems them of their rehashing ways. They must've learned something from their SFII failiures, I trust.

Dreamkin, it would be great to be able to work on a game like that. Too bad I've no programming skills whatsoever, though back when I was about 10 or 11 I used to make stupid games on Commodore 64/128. :cool guy:

BashingU
01-06-2004, 03:41 PM
I wish I had read this post earlier...This is bull****...The guy is one of the most respected game designer in the world and has created franchises that any console would love to have and you guys are calling him biased? That's crazy...His only fault is not recognizing that perhaps Kingdom Hearts is the type of game that the Japanese audience is into at the moment. But to say his critisisms of Sony are off base is such bull****...For one he has access, information and relationships that we wish we could have.
You guys are also acting like he's lying...More PS2's are defective than any of xbox, or gamecube...It was the same way with the Ps1...how many of those broke down? I don't think he's totally right but if I'm gonna listen to anyone on the inside and at the height of his career and stats...Then it's gonna be him...bottom line look at his body of work and he has every right to his oppion wwhich i think are more than make him an authority on Sony and their practices...Especially since we've never made a game for any of those companines at his level....

Dead Account 01
01-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Being a great designer doesn't make him look any less like a whining bitch in that interview.

Zod
01-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Decado
Being a great designer doesn't make him look any less like a whining bitch in that interview.

The most accurate statement here!

Reality
01-06-2004, 03:57 PM
How old is this topic?

Zod
01-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Very old. I think it got resurrected because people love to rub it in now that RE games have returned to the PS2.

Dead Account 01
01-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Zod
Very old. I think it got resurrected because people love to rub it in now that RE games have returned to the PS2. Look who resurrected this topic...you may want to think of another reason ;)

Icarus4578
01-07-2004, 12:03 AM
.................................................. .:D (I just have nothing to say about that.)

Anyway, I believe what he was saying. I'm on my fourth PS2 and I've always kept them in perfect condition. They just break for some reason. Sony are scumbags. I find it hypocritical that people were moaning and bitching when RE was announced as a GameCube exclusive, and yet they don't say anything about the fact that most of the companies that used to support Nintendo are now in Sony's camp. So it's ok if a company leaves another to join Sony but it's the end of the world if a company so much as releases one series exclusively for another console.

As for me, I've got good points in the GC thread because the compaines I call out are still hovering around Nintendo to do GBA games, like Konami who pretends to be supportive.