PDA

View Full Version : Metroid Fusion Impressions

Black Ace
08-24-2002, 08:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://pocket.ign.com/articles/368/368710p1.html

August 22, 2002 - I have one thing to say: pre-order Metroid Fusion on the Game Boy Advance now. Really. Stop reading this and head over to our Gamestore, locate the sucker and pre-order it. I had the opportunity to play through a good 45 minutes of the game, and it is by far one of the most impressive action-adventures I've ever played on the system. And I'm no Metroid fanboy, either.
If you've read through our initial impressions of the game when it was shown for the first time at the Electronic Entertainment Expo about three months ago, it should be known that not a whole heck has changed to the look or play of the game. The version that was at Nintendo's Gamers Press Summit today was more complete with an actual level structure and storyline...instead of the simple demo level that was on display at Nintendo's E3 booth in May.

But what is known: you do play as Samus. The E3 demo led people to speculate wildly on what the storyline would be for Metroid Fusion, but the game's introduction and plotline confirm that you do take control of the Metroid heroine. The game takes place after Super Metroid...apparently, when Samus eliminated the Metroid threat on Planet SR388, a parasite, known as the X-Parasite, emerged to take over the planet. The parasite in essence, lives in the dead creatures on the planet, taking on their form. Unfortunately for Samus, the parasite attacked her while leaving the planet, penetrating her suit and invading her central nervous system...to save her life, Samus' suit had to be disassembled, but the parasite still lives weakly inside her. To save her life, she must discover who or what is responsible for this parasite by returning to the planet's surface.

Early in the game you must make your way through the infested station with only the basics of her abilities...she has a new suit, after all. She can shoot, jump, and climb...that's about it. But because of the parasite living in her body, she can destroy the alien critters and absorb (hence, the "fusion" in the title) the parasite and use their essence for energy, weapons, or, in some cases, the additional Samus abilities, like the Morph-ball or Super Dash. Nintendo even demonstrated a new dash that blasts Samus upwards in a diagonal fashion, taking out the weak blocks in the process.

The game has been developed by the same team responsible for the fantastic Super Metroid game released almost a decade ago on the Super NES system. The gameplay, screen layout and controls mimic the SNES', with enhancements all over the place. Players can easily switch from standard blaster to missiles by simply holding the R button...letting go will switch back to the blaster. Hitting the L button will make Samus stand in place, letting her aim in any direction without moving into hazardous territory. Level construction is incredibly clever...when players earn the Morphball ability, for example, this ability is automatically activated when latching onto a ledge and pulling up into a small shaft. It doesn't sound like much, but it looks way cool and opens up a whole new direction of level design.

Nintendo had made available a set of headphones to give us the full Metroid Fusion experience...and believe me, the game's sound is incredible, even for the relatively weak audio capabilities of the GBA system. Music is incredibly subtle during the game, with heavy emphasis on incidental sound effects haunting players as they run deeper into the parasite-infested station. It's perfectly eerie.

The game is the first 2D Metroid title with animated cutscenes, with the game's storyline unfolding through both the standard text screens as well as elaborate (and well-drawn) close-ups. As players ascend in an elevator, for example, Samus' internal monologue through these cutscenes unveils tidbits of the storyline...and while we don't want to give anything away, players will encounter a Classic Samus character early in the game...who or what this person is will probably be the game's huge secret. Every Metroid game seems to have a surprise ending...this game's no different.

And, yes, Nintendo let loose the information that Metroid Fusion will indeed connect with the GameCube's Metroid Prime. How is a mystery, but since both games are scheduled to ship on the same exact day, and since Nintendo's seriously huge on getting the two systems to connect, it just makes a whole lot of sense that this feature has been implemented.

Unfortunately, Nintendo limited us to only a short play session so that we don't ruin the storyline for the rest of you guys. But at least they handed us the latest batch of screenshots of the game in action, which you can click through by hitting the link at the bottom of this story. Metroid Fusion ships on November 18th. Got it?

-- Craig Harris

Boss fights can get vicious

The GBA hardware is put to good use in this game.

Blast the vents to clear out the nasty air.

The X-parasites are really wreaking havoc down here.

Penance
08-24-2002, 08:28 PM
Good read. I'm really looking forward to this game.

Nindalf
08-25-2002, 11:25 AM
Me
Too!
:D

ATMA
08-25-2002, 03:43 PM
Been waiting for this game for like a looooooooooooooooooooong time ..can't wait to play it! Finally we are going to know what happends after planet Zebes!
Nice to see that Samus is back ..for me she's a real female hero besides she was before Lara croft !:big smile

Black Ace
08-26-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by ATMA
Been waiting for this game for like a looooooooooooooooooooong time ..can't wait to play it! Finally we are going to know what happends after planet Zebes!
Nice to see that Samus is back ..for me she's a real female hero besides she was before Lara croft !:big smile

Samus was created in the 80's. Miss Croft didn't show up until the late 90's.

Kid0_oIcarus
08-26-2002, 10:57 AM
It's always a good feeling, knowing justice has been done to a sequel.